Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 PM

Default muddler minnow

A fantastic all round fly ,and a must in any fly box,try a 9672 #6 hook light turkey for tail,double gold wrap,body,black calf tail,then white calf tail,on top of hook then matching light turkey primary segments for wings--then a modification to make this great fly a real fish catcher instead of the large head,just make a turn and a half of northern deer hair and trim as close as possible,this prevents the fly from porpoiseing,good fo salmon,and of course ab trout --the birth place of this great fly -----
Old 12-07-2017, 10:14 PM

A pic or two would be helpful.

Tks

D.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 AM

The Muddler Minnow originated in Minnesota and then was further developed in Ontario. Anything else are variations.

Why aren't you posting this in the Fly Fishing Section, which is urgently in need of new threads 'cause the local season is done
Old 12-08-2017, 06:55 PM

The fishing ends the fly tying season begins--muddler minnow designed by Don Gapen Dan Bailey for adapting to suit western conditions- imitatations include--- sculpins,chubs, little trout,cray fish,mice, grasshoppers,stone or caddis flies--extremely close to being the only western fly you will ever need--bass, salt water fish and salmon love it ---personal experiance,on the sops arm river white bay nfld sometimes refered to as main brook-i hooked and released over 60 atlantic salmom in a 10 day period---tied hundreds got one about perfect have to dig out pictures for posting----Presenting trappig coyote--just by accident i stumbled upon a good pike lake,will share,on the next post---
Old 12-09-2017, 07:11 PM

Default ice fishing

Better hold off,on any new ice fishing places,ice thickness ???????????
Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM

Default Muddlers

Coyoteman is right. I believe it was developed in the 1950's. I'm 75 and was using it on the Old Man river when I was a kid. I still tie the Dan Gapen model. O ya, I also used Royal Coachman Polar bear streamers at the same time. #8and#6 9672 Mustads. The fish killed them. They work even better with Jungle Cock eyes.
Another Muddler to try is a Rolled Muddler. Easier to tie and just as effective. They are used on the coast for Cut Throat Trout. Actually they are deadly. It has become my go-to fly here in B.C. #10 to #4. Any 2x or 3x long hook.
Bjay
Old 12-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Default rolled muddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Coyoteman is right. I believe it was developed in the 1950's. I'm 75 and was using it on the Old Man river when I was a kid. I still tie the Dan Gapen model. O ya, I also used Royal Coachman Polar bear streamers at the same time. #8and#6 9672 Mustads. The fish killed them. They work even better with Jungle Cock eyes.
Another Muddler to try is a Rolled Muddler. Easier to tie and just as effective. They are used on the coast for Cut Throat Trout. Actually they are deadly. It has become my go-to fly here in B.C. #10 to #4. Any 2x or 3x long hook.
Bjay
never heard of the rolled muddler--wouldnt mind to add a few to the fly boxes for next spring,if you would be so kind as to forward a pattern---ps tiied many a salmon fly with jungle cock eyes,they were so popular international the jungle cock was endangered,the ones today are of course fakes----