Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Default modified p-rigs

Thinking about making some homemade p-rigs for fishing this summer. Mainly be fishing for perch and the odd trout. Would like to make something that's more sturdy then the ones you can buy in the cheap packages, something with 2 or 3 hooks that doesn't tangle very easy. Thoughts? anybody have any pictures of ones they've made? appreciated, thanks. (and on a sidenote, what do you guys find are the sharpest best quality snelled, and just plain hooks.)
Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
Thinking about making some homemade p-rigs for fishing this summer. Mainly be fishing for perch and the odd trout. Would like to make something that's more sturdy then the ones you can buy in the cheap packages, something with 2 or 3 hooks that doesn't tangle very easy. Thoughts? anybody have any pictures of ones they've made? appreciated, thanks. (and on a sidenote, what do you guys find are the sharpest best quality snelled, and just plain hooks.)
Well I tie my own rigs with braid or fluoro carbon. With braid its alot easier to get tangled mid cast but once you get the hang ot it its fine. I use 3 hooks on mine to cover more water column. As for hooks and snells, I buy 3/0 - 5/0 circle hooks, usually eagle claw, and Snell them myself with fluorocarbon. Now adays though I generally just run a slip sinker rig as its become a personal fsvorite rig. Good luck to ya!!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing_Junkie88 View Post
Well I tie my own rigs with braid or fluoro carbon. With braid its alot easier to get tangled mid cast but once you get the hang ot it its fine. I use 3 hooks on mine to cover more water column. As for hooks and snells, I buy 3/0 - 5/0 circle hooks, usually eagle claw, and Snell them myself with fluorocarbon. Now adays though I generally just run a slip sinker rig as its become a personal fsvorite rig. Good luck to ya!!
thanks , I like the metal arms on the cheapy p rigs but not totally sure how I would rig it with an extra hook, I could do it if I saw how but i'm pretty bad at being creative haha. i could definetely try making some out of fluoro but not sure exactly how, i'll have to try to experiment i guess.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM

all you need
Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
all you need
Just curious why the flouro/mono to the weight instead of braid like to the hook?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Just curious why the flouro/mono to the weight instead of braid like to the hook?
I know when I tie this type of rig I use fluro to go to the weight cause it's more abrasion resistance vs braid

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
When I fish with a rig like that I use a lower test mono line to my weight then what I use on my main line, or leader. If by chance the weight gets snagged while a fish is on, I'd rather loose the weight and not the fish. Same goes if it gets hung up real good on bottom. I have friends that dive the rivers and collect weights so I have spares around everywhere.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
all you need
that kind of setup would work well for river fishing... but I forgot to mention i'd mostly be still fishing from a boat, and sometimes casting under a bobber, would like something that is a lighter set up with 2-3 hooks mostly for perch.....
Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM

If you are not after lunkers ..... a P-Rig is fine. Nothing wrong with it except the silly snelled hooks it comes with.

Just buy a decent pack of Gamakatsu snelled hooks and you are set ......

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks_snells.htm

Alternately - buy the p-rigs and remove the line and replace it with what you want ..... you can simply use the wire spreader arms and beads and make your own set up with three arms if you wanted to.