Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2023, 05:39 PM

Default Huatulco, Mexico

Hello. Wife and I are going to Huatulco for a couple of weeks in November. I searched this forum and see the last Huatulco post was 2014. Anyone have any newer info on how good the fishing there is? And who to get a charter with? I like grabbing locals in smaller pangas (boats).
Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:10 PM

I have been to Huatulco a few times in November and the fishing is usually really good for mahi mahi and sailfish. It's variable of course but I usually always caught at least one (and sometimes many...). For a two-week trip I would plan on going twice to increase my chances of having a good day. We always go with Tico, of Fishing with Tico. You can find reviews on Trip Advisor (https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...rn_Mexico.html) or go on the What's Up Huatulco Facebook site and try to track him down there (https://www.facebook.com/groups/545832165582787). I took a look on the site but I was having trouble finding his contact information. It's the slow season right now so he might not have current information up anywhere.

Tico has a smaller and a bigger panga to chose from. There are many other good boat captains to chose from. I would suggest that you join the above Facebook site and look for postings. It's also a great resource for Huatulco in general.

Feel free to contact me again via a message if you have any other questions.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:09 AM

Thank you, sir!
Old 08-03-2023, 08:29 AM

I've fished there 4 times. Generally good. Cancel if its rough(not worth it). I've always fished with Tico, but won't again. Our last outing with him he pulled the old screw job. We told him how long we wanted our trip multiple times before and during. Then when I checked the time we were miles out and an hour over. We told him again, and he's like oh do you want to go in? We thought no problem he went over and just pay for what we agreed to for our trip length. Nope he wanted 3 more hours at his hourly rate and wouldn't let it go. There's plenty more guides that are just as good.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:24 AM

Good to know. I hate getting screwed, I lose my mind when that **** happens.
Thanks. I'll find some dude with a panga and go from there.

I have fished multiple times with a local in Manzanillo, and he was the opposite....gave me extra time for free
Old 08-06-2023, 05:05 PM

I have gone fishing with Tico about 8 times and he has always given me what I have paid for and has often stayed out longer without any charge whatsoever. Unlike many boat captains he is constantly working to put you on fish - checking the lures, looking for tide lines, on the phone with other boat captains, etc.

I don't doubt that you had this experience with him, but your one bad experience with him shouldn't sway everyone's opinion. Check out his reviews on Trip Advisor - they are all excellent and I have personally talked with many people who will only book with him.

If you walk around the marina in Santa Cruz you will have lots of guys offering to take you out fishing. Same thing if you are staying at a resort - there are usually guys with their pangas on the beach who can take you out. Best to stick with someone for whom you have been able to find some reviews.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:47 AM

Valid point!