Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2023, 11:23 AM
Banned

Exclamation Babine River Closure

High water temperatures, low flows prompt Babine River salmon fishery closure​

Salmon fishermen thinking about casting their lines in the Babine River west of Prince George will have to rethink those plans.

High water temperatures and low river flows have increased stress levels of the fish as they approach their spawning grounds in Babine Lake tributaries and that’s convinced the Lake Babine Nation to close the Babine River recreational fishery between Tse Tesli (Babine) counting fence and the Nilkitwa River until further notice.

https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/...losure-7340968
Old 07-31-2023, 11:15 AM

Its the lowest return (so far) of steelhead in the Skeena River history this year according to the tyee test fishery. Of course its also the first year in the past 4 that Im actually going to be able to get out there fishing lol
Old 07-31-2023, 12:15 PM

So I read the article and went to the DFO link. The river closure for the Babine River is one which is a voluntary one that First Nations would like anglers to follow. However the river is open to Sockeye fishing but you are now allowed to keep two Sockeye per day. Interesting to see how this one pans out, or if it will create conflict on the river.
Updated to show the increase to the Sockeye daily limit by an additional fish.

Last edited by britman101; 07-31-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Maybe they just trying to sell more of their fish? Big money in fish!

When they gonna close the gates so the sockeye all die? Close the gates and then shut the river down, sounds like quite the plan! This kokanee business is sounding better all the time! Then they gots bass too!!!

There just isnt time. I need to quit working so theres time for all this fishing!
Old 08-05-2023, 12:35 AM

5 hours and a limit of sockeye today for 3 people. Little slow but a beautiful day. This was 30k south of the river section in question (at smithers landing). Fish and wildlife boys busy with the long weekend traffic. Of note there are also wardens on the bank in the river from 10 to 4 keeping things civilized so we were told.

B.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:55 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
5 hours and a limit of sockeye today for 3 people. Little slow but a beautiful day. This was 30k south of the river section in question (at smithers landing). Fish and wildlife boys busy with the long weekend traffic. Of note there are also wardens on the bank in the river from 10 to 4 keeping things civilized so we were told.

B.
I never fished around there. If they got wardens staking the place out, must be lotsa fishers then? What shape are the fish in so far inland? I talked to one guy once that trolls the lake and he sez they still silverbright, is that true or have the fish deteriorated some by the time they get there?
Old 08-08-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I never fished around there. If they got wardens staking the place out, must be lotsa fishers then? What shape are the fish in so far inland? I talked to one guy once that trolls the lake and he sez they still silverbright, is that true or have the fish deteriorated some by the time they get there?
I lived 10 min drive from the east end of Babine lake and I have never seen a silver sockeye caught out of the lake. I had lots of guys show me “silver sockeye” but they were more like pink with a silver shine at best

If you want sockeye go farther west where they are actually silver with firm meat not red/pink mushy Babine sockeye

Now if you want to C&R some nice rainbows go to Babine but they have worms so I wouldn’t eat them.

But guy’s sure do catch and eat those mushy sockeye but not this guy
Old 08-08-2023, 01:27 PM

Silver,,, no Red and mushy,,, end of August and into September. Pink with silvery shine pretty accurate. Smoked and canned it works for me!! Early on in the run is definitely better, The river provides fish to those with no boat access.

B.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:58 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I lived 10 min drive from the east end of Babine lake and I have never seen a silver sockeye caught out of the lake. I had lots of guys show me “silver sockeye” but they were more like pink with a silver shine at best

If you want sockeye go farther west where they are actually silver with firm meat not red/pink mushy Babine sockeye

Now if you want to C&R some nice rainbows go to Babine but they have worms so I wouldn’t eat them.

But guy’s sure do catch and eat those mushy sockeye but not this guy
Ya, when i river fish ive been staying well within in the chrome zone only… i like seeing brite silver fish and seeing the only good thing about sea lice, being able to know the fish you just caught with them on is fresh from the ocean. $20 bucks a day is cheaper than going withTravis and his buddies, tho they get you way more goods!

I always thot them babine sockeye were gonna be a little mangey, tho one guy that trolls them in babine lake swore they were still nice silver. I kinda dislike mange on my fish! Tho i did once bring a massive chum home from the kitimat that had a little mange spot that i planned to smoke, but a non chinook year for me, so we ate it and i did like it… immensly actually! The key with all salmon, just keep adding butter til just right! Chums included

…and dont forget the salt! Just like Taber corn!

Last edited by Marty S; 08-09-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Ya, when i river fish ive been staying well within in the chrome zone only… i like seeing brite silver fish and seeing the only good thing about sea lice, being able to know the fish you just caught with them on is fresh from the ocean. $20 bucks a day is cheaper than going withTravis and his buddies, tho they get you way more goods!

I always thot them babine sockeye were gonna be a little mangey, tho one guy that trolls them in babine lake swore they were still nice silver. I kinda dislike mange on my fish! Tho i did once bring a massive chum home from the kitimat that had a little mange spot that i planned to smoke, but a non chinook year for me, so we ate it and i did like it… immensly actually! The key with all salmon, just keep adding butter til just right! Chums included

…and dont forget the salt!
Yeah I was spoiled as a kid when it came to salmon living on the coast. I may have been taught to be a snob about keeping only cromers because they were so close it was easy to pick and choose

I have eaten enough salmon in my life I am not big on it except for smoked these days. Now fresh halibut or ling is another story but what I really miss is fresh crab

Guys eat them out of Babine lake all the time and guys used to think I was nut tossing them back when I was fly fishing rainbows. Funniest part I caught more sockeye on a purple wollybugger with an orange bead head than the guy targeting them with a flasher and bead. Oh and the locals swore you must use red hooks too lol

I thought it was crazy seeing guys get excited keeping them when I moved to the area But to each their own as they were not hurting anyone
Old 08-11-2023, 01:55 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing around Terrace on the Skeena, we’d often get chinook with a little colour to them that were excellent fare. Not exactly mange, but not silver brite by nonmeans… were excellent eating. I guess the guys eating the Babine sockeyes should know, surely if they tasted like death they probly wouldnt like them!
Old 08-15-2023, 03:31 PM
AO Sponsor

Fellow forum user sent this pic of a Babine sockeye, a little coloured for sure but no mange!

But the question… how do they compare to “ocean fresh” ? Cant tell by looking at pittures!

I cant remember what speed they swim upriver at. I see the fish at Morristown still look silver pretty in the native fish stand, is that halfway? The ones they kept, not the ones they kicked back into the river with their steel towed boots across the rock cliff top.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:12 PM

That is a nice one for there but still too coloured for me

But like I said I was raised to be a salmon snob lol
Old 08-16-2023, 12:51 AM
AO Sponsor

How many do they let you keep in the River? What about the lake?
Old 08-16-2023, 01:09 AM

Quote:
How many do they let you keep in the River? What about the lake?
I never had interest in keeping them so never looked at the regs myself but I remember hearing the opening being 2 sockeye most years in Babine lake. With salmon things change all the time so you have to check out the up to date regs for each opening

When I salmon fished in Northern BC it was towards kitimat Or terrace
Old 08-16-2023, 01:03 PM

You guys should see the salmon that make it past Mcbride.
Over 1000 km up the fast flowing frasier river.
Zombie fish.
Wouldn’t eat em even if I could.