Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2014, 02:02 PM

Talking Looking for some Albertan advice on fishing/camping.

A friend of mine and I were hoping to come to Alberta some time this summer (we are from saskatchewan) to escape life for a couple days and go on a quiet, relaxed guys adventure. Unfortunately, however, we have no idea where to hike, fish, or camp. We are looking for mountain views, a nice lake to fish in and a place where we can "random camp" somewhere in the trees (either that or a secluded campsite). I have been searching endlessly for a place that has all of these qualities but unfortunately the internet can only tell you so much. If anybody could please give me some advice on locations that would be greatly appreciated! We just don't want to end up somewhere with a hundred people and quads ripping back and forth everywhere!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyDoer View Post
A friend of mine and I were hoping to come to Alberta some time this summer (we are from saskatchewan) to escape life for a couple days and go on a quiet, relaxed guys adventure. Unfortunately, however, we have no idea where to hike, fish, or camp. We are looking for mountain views, a nice lake to fish in and a place where we can "random camp" somewhere in the trees (either that or a secluded campsite). I have been searching endlessly for a place that has all of these qualities but unfortunately the internet can only tell you so much. If anybody could please give me some advice on locations that would be greatly appreciated! We just don't want to end up somewhere with a hundred people and quads ripping back and forth everywhere!
Somewhere around Hinton...
Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned

I've had lots of luck in northern BC
Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM

Peppers Lake if you're driving in and have a boat, mountain view, small campground that's usually not too busy, decent trout fishing. Or you could random camp just off the forestry trunk road by the river and then drive up the mountain to the lake to fish.

Eagle Lake near the Ya-Ha-Tinda, or Elbow Lake in the Kananaskis if you want a short hike in. Eagle will be likely be quieter than Elbow
Old 06-04-2014, 04:21 PM

lac la biche , if you have a boat, i go every year and catch a ton of fish , and decent sized ones.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:22 PM

pm me
Old 06-04-2014, 04:30 PM

if you like sw alberta, pm me.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Here's a website that isn't trying to sell you anything, just informative camping info on Southern Alberta mostly.

http://albertascampgrounds.com/
Old 06-05-2014, 06:30 AM

Rock Lake north of Hinton comes to mind. Only been there a couple of times but the campground was dead both times. A boat would make fishing a lot easier for you, but the Wildhay River is right there as well. Great views though.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 AM

Your leaving Saskatchewan land of 10 thousand lakes to come here ? You crazy ?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:55 AM

From recent media stories, I thought everyone would be familiar with Alberta camping.
  • Camp anywhere you like.
  • Latrines or pack out are not necessary. just do it behind a tree and don't be concerned. The TP and everything else are biodegradable.
  • Cars make excellent campfires.
Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Your leaving Saskatchewan land of 10 thousand lakes to come here ? You crazy ?
We went north sask last year but soon realized a canoe is essential! Too bad neither of us have one. That's the plan for next year, though.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Take a look at this site
http://www.travelnordegg.com/
Old 06-05-2014, 10:12 AM

You could go to Moosehorn Lake if you like to hike in the mountains. Head to Rock Lake but stop where the road crosses the Wild Hay River. There is a staging area where you can park. Hike up to Moosehorn and catch cutthroat trout all day long.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBoss View Post
You could go to Moosehorn Lake if you like to hike in the mountains. Head to Rock Lake but stop where the road crosses the Wild Hay River. There is a staging area where you can park. Hike up to Moosehorn and catch cutthroat trout all day long.
I will definitely look into that, and thanks everyone else for your input. Does anybody know how the fishing is at tombstone and elbow lakes this year?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:33 PM

This website has all the trails in Alberta, canada and north america. It will give you the trails that lead to wilderness lakes and rivers. Many areas you can open camp but there may be fire restrictions. Might help.

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?c...ist&val=custom
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM

If you're interested in long, alpine hikes to beautiful places (such as this one), shoot me a PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=WillyDoer;2454173]A friend of mine and I were hoping to come to Alberta some time this summer (we are from saskatchewan) to escape life for a couple days and go on a quiet, relaxed guys adventure. Unfortunately, however, we have no idea where to hike, fish, or camp. We are looking for mountain views, a nice lake to fish in and a place where we can "random camp" somewhere in the trees (either that or a secluded campsite). I have been searching endlessly for a place that has all of these qualities but unfortunately the internet can only tell you so much. If anybody could please give me some advice on locations that would be greatly appreciated! We just don't want to end up somewhere with a hundred people and quads ripping back and forth everywhere![/QUOT

Last edited by -JR-; 06-05-2014 at 05:37 PM.