Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Default Guide/Host Potentially Poaching North of Rocky

While out with my dad, hunting November 1, 2014 in WMU 330, we drove down a oil road that we have driven down for over 15 years only to see that someone had erected a monstrous tree stand down the pipeline. After ensuring that no one was in the stand, we walked down to check it out, as we have put countless hours in blinds and tree stands ourselves on this very pipeline. It was quite evident that the owner of the tree stand planted food, or maintained a 300-400 yard section of the pipeline with the intention of having deer eat the perfectly green grass (rare in Alberta in my 29 years of life in November). When returning to my truck, the owner of the tree stand was waiting at my truck accusing myself and my father of wrecking the ladder(s) to his stands. He refused to give me his name, refused to tell me if he was a guide/host etc. He took a picture of my license plate without my permission and basically told my dad and I not to come around that area anymore (keep in mind this is crown land). I took a picture of him and his license plate post confrontation.

My question to AO members is: Is maintaing non-farm land area with the purpose of feeding/hunting deer illegal? Will Fish and Game officers investigate this incident if/when I report it?

Thanks in advance for your advice

In order to understand the situation, the tree stand was about 25' tall, metal in nature, cables holding the tree stand upright, about 20 3" pine trees cut for camoflauge for the "torso" of the stand. The individual said he had another 6 stands like this in the area.

Last edited by Reams26; 11-06-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 PM

Call F&W....mentioning this here is sure to turn into a gong show.

LC
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 PM

Old 11-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Why would this guy need your permission to take a photo? Would it be in breach of your licence plates modelling contract?
Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Why would this guy need your permission to take a photo? Would it be in breach of your licence plates modelling contract?
Apparently you don't quite grasp the concept CaberTosser.

Plate - Singular, Plates - Plural (Just for future reference)

...."the resulting evolution of the idiot"
Old 11-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reams26 View Post
While out with my dad, hunting November 1, 2014 in WMU 330, we drove down a oil road that we have driven down for over 15 years only to see that someone had erected a monstrous tree stand down the pipeline. After ensuring that no one was in the stand, we walked down to check it out, as we have put countless hours in blinds and tree stands ourselves on this very pipeline. It was quite evident that the owner of the tree stand planted food, or maintained a 300-400 yard section of the pipeline with the intention of having deer eat the perfectly green grass (rare in Alberta in my 29 years of life in November). When returning to my truck, the owner of the tree stand was waiting at my truck accusing myself and my father of wrecking the ladder(s) to his stands. He refused to give me his name, refused to tell me if he was a guide/host etc. He took a picture of my license plate without my permission and basically told my dad and I not to come around that area anymore (keep in mind this is crown land). I took a picture of him and his license plate post confrontation.

My question to AO members is: Is maintaing non-farm land area with the purpose of feeding/hunting deer illegal? Will Fish and Game officers investigate this incident if/when I report it?

Thanks in advance for your advice

In order to understand the situation, the tree stand was about 25' tall, metal in nature, cables holding the tree stand upright, about 20 3" pine trees cut for camoflauge for the "torso" of the stand. The individual said he had another 6 stands like this in the area.

You blew it .you had an opportunity to increase your chance of success.

You both have pictures share them with us or the authorities?
Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Call F&W....mentioning this here is sure to turn into a gong show.

LC
Thanks Lefty-Canuck. I am going to phone F&W. The regs are not clear on maintaining non-agricultural land for the purpose of hunting. That is what I am trying to figure out. The individual can try to intimidate me all he wants, but come Saturday morning I'd wager that I am there earlier than him. haha
Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 PM

just got entertaining...
Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 PM

Seems like the most logical course of action is to call F&W and ask them this question.

You will get a far faster and accurate response.

I can't see why they can't have tree stands anywhere. Hopefully you did not damage one.

As for a planted crop...they can answer that also.

You should visit bass pro and see what they sell.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 PM

I don't want to ruin this guys business/hunting if he is not doing anything illegal. Once I have contacted F&W and figure out if what he is doing is illegal or not, then I may post his plate # along with a picture of him (if illegal) so that we know who to stay away from.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Sundancefisher, Thanks for your input. I most certainly did not wreck the individuals stand, it was probably the best stand I have ever seen, truly remarkable. I could never wreck a thing of beauty like that!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reams26 View Post
I don't want to ruin this guys business/hunting if he is not doing anything illegal. Once I have contacted F&W and figure out if what he is doing is illegal or not, then I may post his plate # along with a picture of him (if illegal) so that we know who to stay away from.
If he isn't doing anything illegal, how would a visit from f&w ruin his hunt or business
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 PM

Its amusing when you made a pretty significant interpretation error in trying to 'correct' my statement. I'll give you some time to figure it out, you might need it.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:10 PM

Are you positive it is not a section that has been dug up, repaired, reclaimed and reseeded? Maybe with some fall rye to stabilize the soil? This guy could just be taking advantage of a situation.

His attitude toward you was a little uncalled for.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:12 PM

Was he driving a black dodge dually by any chance? I just can't believe nobody has asked that yet.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 PM

Default Darn it !!!!!

You beat me to it. Lol.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 PM

I guess it very well could have been reclaimed... Having seen reclaimed sites before, I am pretty confident in saying that this particular site was not. Thanks for the insight 338 bluff, good point!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 PM

His first 5 posts to boot. I sense a ban coming. Lol
Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Was he driving a black dodge dually by any chance? I just can't believe nobody has asked that yet.....
Definitely a scenario where one should take a knee and think it threw
Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 PM

Not the visit by the F&W... rather posting the pic of him and his plate #.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:27 PM

Did you mention the feed plot or F&W to the guy? I wonder if he might try to destroy the evidence.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
^^^
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I had considered that, posted and then edited out referring to him as a potential CG. It occurred to me that it might be unlikely as this suddenly chatty 2-year member knew the difference between singular and plural, despite the fact that my inclusion of an 's' to the end of 'plate' was missing a hyphen and was included to indicate the possessive. Perhaps that mental boo-boo would be a Chris G trait after all?..... All in all he doesn't have a sense of haha and gets mighty irritable for someone who should have caught on to when someone is joking, especially after he's been silently lurking AO for two years.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Lmao, I guess if you're that far outta town you gotta do what you gotta do, that's what I say when I take a knee or throw back a 4 pound perch
Old 11-07-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Lmao, I guess if you're that far outta town you gotta do what you gotta do, that's what I say when I take a knee or throw back a 4 pound perch
It really was this kind of day on AO today.
Really.
Saw some references to good threads from the past, as well as interesting and mildly amusing user names that gave me a bit of a chuckle.
And finally this.

My 12 year old tells me that most of the kids in his class are on their phones during class time.
If teachers were more strict in taking phones away, we wouldn't have to deal with all this on AO.
(Well, maybe some)
I'm going hunting soon. Can't hardly wait

Op. If it was clearly evident that the owner of the stand planted and maintained this section of new growth, then wth is the issue?
Get on with gettin on and be gone.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Its amusing when you made a pretty significant interpretation error in trying to 'correct' my statement. I'll give you some time to figure it out, you might need it.
LOL He erred in criticising your singular/plural usage when he should have criticized you for your punctuation. I think you meant "plate's", not "plates".
Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL He erred in criticising your singular/plural usage when he should have criticized you for your punctuation. I think you meant "plate's", not "plates".
Haha that's awesome, I hope my grammer is right!!!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Haha that's awesome, I hope my grammer is right!!!
Ah, I'm not the grammar police. I usually hate that. I'm just giving Caber a friendly poke.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

I hope his grammar is alright , his grammpar too !
Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 AM

Back on topic.

Was it just grass and grain crop? If there was any kind of baiting I think that is Ilegal. You should have informed him that it was crown land and everyone has a right to it and sugested that maybe F&W needed to here about the situation and you may give them a call. I'm just saying that bullies need to be stood up to.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Closed Thread

Tags
fish and wildlife, guide, poacher, question