Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 06:15 PM

Default Fish and wildlife officer career - inquiries

Hey folks, new to the forum!
I’m 31 now and although I feel hesitant because of my age, I’m still highly considering dropping my tool belt as a carpenter and heading for a degree to pursue a career in fish and wildlife enforcement. It’s a dream job and I kick myself daily for not getting a degree when I was younger. Here’s my main question:

I keep seeing all signs pointing to Lethbridge college, but I live in Edmonton. I was told by U of A that they offer a course that would provide a degree like the one offered at Lethbridge but I’m wondering why all I see is recommendations for Lethbridge if other colleges apparently offer it. Anyone hear if the U of A is a good direction to go and if there is much success in graduates from the program actually getting into the line of work?

Any info would be great! Also, if there’s anyone here who is a conservation officer/F&W officer, I’d love to hear what you think!

Thanks very much in advance.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:22 PM

Id stop in at a F&W office and ask to talk to an officer. I’d be really surprised if they didn’t sit down and answer all your questions. Maybe give you some hunting or fishing spots too!
Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 PM

Default Be carful.

Sometimes these similar degree's are misleading and will not be accepted my wife learned that with a Red Deer collage book keeping class. They said it was an excepted equivalent but it wasn't. No money back policies.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:27 PM

If you're interested in speaking with them, they work out of the Twin atria building, east side. Keep in mind they're probably very busy in the field at this time of year.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:12 PM

If it makes you feel any better I quit a job at 29 went back to school and got hired as a game warden in Montana at 32. I’d do it again in a heart beat!! Yah it doesn’t pay the greatest but is enough for me to live on. I get benefits a free truck free guns and ammo, snowmobile boat horses and an atv. I don’t have to worry about what to wear for work and I get to make my own schedule so what’s not to like?? Yeah I don’t get a lot of time off for hunting but my supervisor helps us out where he can and we still get out for a few days.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
If it makes you feel any better I quit a job at 29 went back to school and got hired as a game warden in Montana at 32. I’d do it again in a heart beat!! Yah it doesn’t pay the greatest but is enough for me to live on. I get benefits a free truck free guns and ammo, snowmobile boat horses and an atv. I don’t have to worry about what to wear for work and I get to make my own schedule so what’s not to like?? Yeah I don’t get a lot of time off for hunting but my supervisor helps us out where he can and we still get out for a few days.
That's the key to success...doing something you enjoy!

To the OP go for it, if not then you'll look back and wish you did.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-27-2017, 08:14 AM

So, it's been a long time. About 30 years ago. I was thinking about being a F&W Officer as well. All things pointed to Lethbridge. Even got accepted and put down a deposit. Drove down to Lethbridge to register and changed my mind. Did not like the salary projections down the road. I was about 25 at the time and much like yourself, had a pretty good paying (I assume) construction job. If you are going into it because you think you'll like it, that's awesome.

As others have said, there is probably a reason why things are pointing to Lethbridge. It was, and probably still is THE place to go to get your training. I ended up getting a computer programming diploma at NAIT. That was the place to go for your diploma if you couldn't afford the 4-year University route. Competitors like CCI at the time didn't cut it. The industry (for the most part) only recognized NAIT or U of A grads. Guys I went to school with had graduated from CCI and could not find a job and were now at NAIT. You don't want that to happen to you. Yup, talk to a F&W Officer (or a few of them). It will probably go a long way.

Best of luck.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Thank you all

I couldn't be happier than I am to have joined this forum. Thank you all for your helpful responses on the subject. It gives me a lot to think about and is that much more motivating especially knowing age isn't something I should really concern myself with. Money is not at all my goal for a career and it's the love and passion for all the other aspects of this job that has me captivated.

I'll be taking the information I've been receiving and using that to look deeper into this. Moving my life to Lethbridge has me a little uneasy since my life and everything I know has been here in Edmonton for the past 9 years. But if it's something I really want, you only live once and I don't want to look back on life saying I have any regrets or "I should have done that".

Thanks everyone. I have a couple contacts to reach out to as well in F&W and am hoping they're receptive toward the idea of talking with me.

Keep the comments coming if anyone else has anything to add or even wanted to share their experiences.

-Brent
Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Im in the environmental industry and have had alot of my friends take the program in Lethbridge. In my opinion Lethbridge offers a well rounded program and it is exactly what you need to get into the CO line of work.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Definitely recommend a talk with a few officers. The path to full time employment is rather complicated, and far from a guarantee regardless of your education and experience. Listen to what they say, not just what you want to hear. The reality is very different than the common perception.

And yeah, lethbridge is it. AFAIK most everyone who has been hired in the last decade came from that program.

Guess I'll be the one to say it...that career is very demanding and doesn't offer much in reward, at least not in AB. It's something you do because you love it above all else. When you hear: 'it's available for those who are willing to work hard' they mean 'devote your entire existence and soul to this profession, to the exclusion of all else'. If you have any other higher priorities (including family, financial stability, job security, comfortable retirement) it's gonna take a toll. You have to decide what you want to make of your life. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:58 PM

I believe you can do your first two years at Nait and transfer to Lethbridge. If you do 3 years at Nait you can also get your Forestry schooling IIRC. Biggest thing make sure you can transfer to Lethbridge, from Nait.

Tags
conservation officer, fish and wildlife, law enforcement