Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Looking for thoughts on a 2011 ford f350 6.7l powerstrokr

Wondering if anyone has one of these Ford's and what there thoughts are and how reliable it has been.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:56 AM

We have 4 of them in our company. They have been very good to us. Definitely holding up. Ether than we expected.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:59 AM

I have a 12 and it has been perfect but there are lots of known issues with the 11's. If the price is right and updates were done, as well as regular maintenance it is likely ok. The newer you buy of this engine the better though.
There are lots of Superduty forums on and off facebook, google search will show them. They are valuable resources.

Here is a beauty of a '13 low mileage, great price on the forum

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339954

I would not even think of selling my '12 for that low.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-31-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:19 PM

Have one for a work truck, the engine and truck has been really good. It has lived most of it's life on logging roads on the coast so defiantly hasn't been babied. 1 Transfer case and suspension/brake work has been the only issues from wear and tear. Engine is still strong around 250,000 kms.
The truck is surprisingly nice to drive, handling and ride is much nicer than our Dodge Cummins 1 tons. Far less issues as well. Only thing lacking is an exhaust brake for towing that the Cummins has.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:42 PM

Truck has been owned by my uncle since new and ford has done all maintenance. seems to have been a good truck has 94000 kms and a little warranty left.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:44 PM

I'd steer clear of the 2011 early build models (ones with '10 build dates especially) as they were the most prone to turbo issues, and occasionally issues of glowplugs breaking off and blowing up the motor. Both of those were resolved in later 11 models and up I believe. Never heard anything bad about a 12+ model 6.7L.

Also, they don't seem to last worth a crap in F550 variants. They were derated power wise and for whatever reason lots of guys have had issues with even getting 100,000 km out of them.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I'd steer clear of the 2011 early build models (ones with '10 build dates especially) as they were the most prone to turbo issues, and occasionally issues of glowplugs breaking off and blowing up the motor. Both of those were resolved in later 11 models and up I believe. Never heard anything bad about a 12+ model 6.7L.

Also, they don't seem to last worth a crap in F550 variants. They were derated power wise and for whatever reason lots of guys have had issues with even getting 100,000 km out of them.
True. That engine used a different turbo and was very prone to failure.

12' or newer, 250 and 350 and you'll be fine.

A guy would have to do more research on the 450 and 550 for these years.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:05 PM

I have a early 11 2010 build date has been the best truck I have ever owned 426XXXkm, it had a life of logging roads, cut blocks, hwy 63, its retired from work now and pulls my 40' toy hauler on weekends to bc,
last trip was 2000km to Kelowna and back and it never missed a beat
Old 03-31-2018, 07:14 PM

Hmmm.......
Ford=💩
It’s a no brainer
Old 03-31-2018, 11:40 PM

I’ve got a 2011 F-350, bought it 5yrs ago with 60,000km. It now has almost 160,000km and has been awesome. I put on rancho 9000 and dual steering stabilizer. And end of July I did a full delete with a S&B cold air, I couldn’t be any happier.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
I’ve got a 2011 F-350, bought it 5yrs ago with 60,000km. It now has almost 160,000km and has been awesome. I put on rancho 9000 and dual steering stabilizer. And end of July I did a full delete with a S&B cold air, I couldn’t be any happier.
Is that an oiled filter? I don’t read about EVERY aftermarket intake but to the best of my knowledge their isn’t one on the market that filters as well as a factory air box with a cellulose filter. If you were doing oil analysis before the change you’ll probably see an increase in silicon and wear materials with your new and improved intake.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 04-01-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
If you don’t want to kill that engine lose the intake and get your factory air box back on her. Nothing on the market filters as well as paper in the factory box. It’s very easy to see the increase in silicon and wear materials if you do oil analysis and have samples from before and after the filter change. Dusting a diesel engine will kill it.
Agreed. Dusting "any" engine will kill it, but the cold air intakes seem to cause more issues than the factory supplied intakes.

Have driven a few F-350's and 550's 11-15 models, and have been converted from a lifelong GM guy to a Ford guy. These 6.7 Powerstrokes are reliable and perform well. Our service truck fleet has a good mix of Dodge and Ford 550's and the Fords are outperforming in reliability and maintenance costs. As stated above, I too like the exhaust brake on the Cummins. However its a small detail that does nothing to push me away from Ford.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
Agreed. Dusting "any" engine will kill it, but the cold air intakes seem to cause more issues than the factory supplied intakes.

Have driven a few F-350's and 550's 11-15 models, and have been converted from a lifelong GM guy to a Ford guy. These 6.7 Powerstrokes are reliable and perform well. Our service truck fleet has a good mix of Dodge and Ford 550's and the Fords are outperforming in reliability and maintenance costs. As stated above, I too like the exhaust brake on the Cummins. However its a small detail that does nothing to push me away from Ford.

There isn't an exhaust brake available on the 6.7 ford???

On a side note - I got over 275k on my last set of brake pads on my ram 3500, which I'm sure is the result of using the exhaust brake on my pickup all the time.

The fronts still had over half the pad left, but the metal frame of the pad itself was disintegrating from rust.

Anyways, carry on.....
Old 04-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
There isn't an exhaust brake available on the 6.7 ford???

On a side note - I got over 275k on my last set of brake pads on my ram 3500, which I'm sure is the result of using the exhaust brake on my pickup all the time.

The fronts still had over half the pad left, but the metal frame of the pad itself was disintegrating from rust.

Anyways, carry on.....
I have a 2015 F350. It has the new turbo and an exhaust brake. It uses the variable vanes in the turbo in conjunction with the transmission to slow you down. It works fabulously. I love the truck. That being said. Every issue I have read about the engine seems to have got me. Lets see, new rad,egr cooler, waterpump, vaccuum pump,transfer case,front drive shaft, front diff rebuild. The truck is perfect and I love it. Poor thing is not driven like it should be except for pulling the trailer through the mountains every once in a while. It gets better milage pulling 13000 lbs then the 12 minute commute to work everyday. It does get oil done every 5000k.
Tullfan
Old 04-01-2018, 12:11 PM

Filter is oil, and I use a filter sock. Change oil every 8k, and have 2 filters so I keep them clean. As for exhaust break I’m not sure who said there isn’t one, but there is. It works great. I haul 2 ATVs on deck and 30’ trailer fully loaded, kick on exhaust break and don’t even need to touch breaks.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Filter is oil, and I use a filter sock. Change oil every 8k, and have 2 filters so I keep them clean. As for exhaust break I’m not sure who said there isn’t one, but there is. It works great. I haul 2 ATVs on deck and 30’ trailer fully loaded, kick on exhaust break and don’t even need to touch breaks.
I would lose that like a bad habit. Those filters are sure death on an engine. Not only is the factory filter more efficient and hold more dirt but it flows more air then your engine can use.
If and when you go back to your factory air box, throw a filter restriction indicator on the air box and don’t even look at your filter until the restriction gauge tells you to change the filter. You contaminate your engine every time you open the filter box and a new filter is less efficient then an dust covered filter. They work better dirty and are SUPPOSED to be dirty so leave them alone until they’re showing about 25” h2o restriction.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I would lose that like a bad habit. Those filters are sure death on an engine. Not only is the factory filter more efficient and hold more dirt but it flows more air then your engine can use.
If and when you go back to your factory air box, throw a filter restriction indicator on the air box and don’t even look at your filter until the restriction gauge tells you to change the filter. You contaminate your engine every time you open the filter box and a new filter is less efficient then an dust covered filter. They work better dirty and are SUPPOSED to be dirty so leave them alone until they’re showing about 25” h2o restriction.

Very solid piece of advice here.