Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2023, 06:06 PM

Default Twin Valley Reservoir - How is the fishing in August?

I was curious how the fishing in TVR is in August? I've only ever fished there in early summer, but unfortunately I couldn't get out there this year.

1) Will there be enough water to launch a boat?
2) Does it get over grown with weeds so bad that there are no good places to fish?
3) Can you get to the north end when the water is lower?
4) How much does the water drop through the year?
Old 07-25-2023, 06:44 PM

Pretty much yes it does on all answers. Have not been recently but based on most other lake in the south are empty and this one is had to launch with low water I would maybe try a different one unless you have a small tinner or inflateable. Once in there ids lots of water outside of the edges.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:53 AM

Default Which lake down south?

Thank you. Any reservoirs down south that you would recommend for later summer fishing? The closest to me are TVR, Clear Lake, Pine Coulee, and McGregor. I like fishing Northern Pike or Walleye.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:56 AM

McGregor out of those. Watch the boat launch though. I hear the concrete blocks are nasty but guys are launching and catching.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:51 AM

I was at Pine last Thursday and was almost 30ft. off the pad before I could get the boat to float. scarey to say the least. The water under the north bridge was 3.5ft. and found no water on the north end over 10ft with tons of weeds and little if any fish on the sonar.

They have for sure gone deep and that is a few spots. Sure hope they put some water in there this fall other wise I think Pine is in for a winter kill.

Pretty well all the res. south are too low to launch unless you can carry your boat to the edge of the water then you may wind up stuck in mud up to your knees.

Traverse at Little Bow park is still holding decent was so that may be your only safe choice. Cannot keep pike but you can keep one walleye between 50 and 55cm

Good luck
Old 07-26-2023, 09:52 AM

McGregor and Pine Coulee basically a wash

*The launch at PC is better than McGregor
*McGregor is a better "boating" reservoir
*Fishing activity? Depends on the day either way - both good

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I was at Pine last Thursday and was almost 30ft. off the pad before I could get the boat to float. scarey to say the least. The water under the north bridge was 3.5ft. and found no water on the north end over 10ft with tons of weeds and little if any fish on the sonar.

They have for sure gone deep and that is a few spots. Sure hope they put some water in there this fall other wise I think Pine is in for a winter kill.

Pretty well all the res. south are too low to launch unless you can carry your boat to the edge of the water then you may wind up stuck in mud up to your knees.

Traverse at Little Bow park is still holding decent was so that may be your only safe choice. Cannot keep pike but you can keep one walleye between 50 and 55cm

Good luck
Since F&W seem to want to force this to be a trout lake, a low water level going into winter might be their strategy.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 07-26-2023, 02:49 PM

I am not sure about deliberatly dropping the water level at Pine.

I know it supplies all the water to Claresholm and they have now declared a water watch, no watering ect.

Mean while Chain to the north has more water in that lake then I have seen in over 20 yrs.

Go figure. Maybe there is something to the trout issue, but I sure hope not.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:45 PM

Default pine coulee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgb View Post
I was curious how the fishing in TVR is in August? I've only ever fished there in early summer, but unfortunately I couldn't get out there this year.

1) Will there be enough water to launch a boat?
2) Does it get over grown with weeds so bad that there are no good places to fish?
3) Can you get to the north end when the water is lower?
4) How much does the water drop through the year?
i was at pine coulee and twin valley yesterday . water level lowest i have ever seen . did not even try to put my boat in . 18' crestliner. water at both were well beyond the end of the boat ramp. This pic is pine coulee bridge.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-07-2023, 08:52 AM

Default Pictures of Traverse - Aug 4, 2023

I've attached a picture of traverse boat launch on Aug 4. There were no boats/trailer there when I was there. There are tracks down into the water so I asked someone fishing from shore if anyone had been launching boats. They said yes, but some get stuck. It looks a bit muddy close to shore.

I'm tempted to give it a try. I wish I knew what others were launching and what they had for a vehicle/tires. I have a lighter boat than most folks (16' aluminum with 2 stroke) so I don't need much water to launch. But I don't have mud tires, or the clearance that I may need (SUV with Nokian All Weather tires).

I also stopped at McGregor. There was a guy pulling a very long Mastercraft out of the lake when I was there. He had no issues except the launch is bit rough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-08-07 083058.jpg (59.4 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-07-2023, 09:05 AM

From the looks of Traverse and the sounds of McGregor and Pine, I will stick to going to Crawling Valley. Was there 2 weeks ago and all was good for launching and catching.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:49 AM

McGregor Res just before the long weekend. Pic taken from the launch looking north.
The launch is really bumpy but if you go slow it is (was?) possible.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I've attached a picture of traverse boat launch on Aug 4. .
This looks like Twin Valley and not Travers
Old 08-09-2023, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
This looks like Twin Valley and not Travers
I can't believe I did that and I apologize. It is Twin Valley that I took the picture of. I can't seem to find a way to edit/correct it. Thank you for calling this out.
Old 08-17-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I've attached a picture of traverse boat launch on Aug 4. There were no boats/trailer there when I was there. There are tracks down into the water so I asked someone fishing from shore if anyone had been launching boats. They said yes, but some get stuck. It looks a bit muddy close to shore.

I'm tempted to give it a try. I wish I knew what others were launching and what they had for a vehicle/tires. I have a lighter boat than most folks (16' aluminum with 2 stroke) so I don't need much water to launch. But I don't have mud tires, or the clearance that I may need (SUV with Nokian All Weather tires).

I also stopped at McGregor. There was a guy pulling a very long Mastercraft out of the lake when I was there. He had no issues except the launch is bit rough.
Looks like Twin from the picture