Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2023, 09:18 PM

21 years old. Just moved to Alberta from Ontario. Came from a non hunting family. Out hunting for mule deer a mile from the farm and “drop” a 3x3 mulie buck. Was ecstatic. First big game animal for me. Walk down one side of the coulee and up the other to tag my buck. Wasn’t a far shot at all, under 100 yards. Grab the rack to admire this “monster “ buck I just downed. Bloody thing jumps up and heads down the coulee to the old man river with me in “hot” pursuit. River was only 500 yards away roughly. Once the deer reaches the river it proceeds to enter the water and then sit down with only its head above the water. We stare at each other for a bit and then the deer stands up and I shoot it. It begins to float down the river and I retrieve it before it gets away on me (again). Water was bone chilling cold I remember that clearly. Story actually gets better when I went to load it up in my truck and my truck spent the weekend in the river but that’s a story for another day. That’s when I was bit hard but the hunting bug. This was 39 years ago