Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Default More Good Chinook Salmon News !!!

With an excellent start to the Salmon fishing season on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, this recent news from the Pacific Salmon Commision only makes it better.
We are regularily seeing Chinook Salmon in the 20 lb range through late March, with a few in the mid 20's. With late April, May and June anticipated to be very strong fishing for Chinook on B.C.'s southern coast. To follow up an outstanding Salmon fishing season in 2010, this recent news only helps substantiate the forecast for 2011.
Note; This info only pertains to Chinook Salmon, and doesn't include the great forecast for Coho, Pink and Sockeye.

Based on the information outlined below, the abundance index and related allowable catch will increase an amazing 38% beyond the numbers from the exceptionally strong season we just had.

We still have prime and shoulder season dates for fishing this season if any of this information piques your interest.

Regardless of where you fish on the coast this year, it is looking like the Ocean survival rates and Marine conditions coast wide are going to support banner fisheries.

Pacific Salmon Commission

DATE: March 30, 2011

SUBJECT: Preseason AABM Fishery Abundance Indices for 2011 and Post-Season Abundance Indices for 2010

The Chinook Technical Committee (CTC) has completed a final calibration (#1106) of the Chinook Model for the upcoming (2011) fishing season. The completed calibration provides the Abundance Indices (AI) that are required for determining the preseason estimated allowable catches for the three Aggregate Abundance Based Management (AABM) fisheries: Southeast Alaska all gear (SEAK), Northern British Columbia troll and Queen Charlotte Island sport (NBC), and West Coast Vancouver Island troll and outside sport (WCVI). The AIs and the associated allowable catches are shown in Table 1.

Table 1. Abundance indices and associated allowable catches for the 2011 AABM Fisheries.
SEAK NBC WCVI
Abundance Index 1.69 1.38 1.15
Allowable Catch 294,800 182,400 196,800

The 2010 Preseason and Post-Season AIs, associated allowable catches and the observed catches for the AABM fisheries are shown in Table 2.

Table 2. Preseason and Post-Season Abundance indices, associated allowable catches and the observed catches for the 2010 AABM fisheries.
Preseason
SEAK NBC WCVI
Abundance Index 1.35 1.17 0.96
Allowable Catch 221,800 152,100 143,700
Actual
Observed Catch 227,720 136,613 139,047
Post-Season
Abundance Index 1.31 1.23 0.95
Allowable Catch 215,800 160,400 142,300

The CTC is currently preparing a PSC document that will contain the Chinook salmon catches and escapements through 2010, which the CTC plans to finalize by June, 2011. The CTC will also prepare a PSC document containing the results of the exploitation rate analysis and model calibration for 2011. This report will also contain the Post-Season AIs for the AABM fisheries and non-ceiling indices for the Individual Stock Based Management (ISBM) fisheries. The CTC is scheduled to finalize this report by August, 2011.

J.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

Sounds like its going to be a heck of a year,, can't wait to get it started..

P.M. sent..

And thanks for continually taking the time to keep us posted out here Jay its much appreciated..
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Sounds like its going to be a heck of a year,, can't wait to get it started..

P.M. sent..

And thanks for continually taking the time to keep us posted out here Jay its much appreciated..
Walleyes; PM received and sorry I missed your call last night. I'll try and reach you tonight, but likley in the morning after I finish Radio show...

A quick update on the Salmon they are forecasting....7 of them decided to eat the wrong (or right ) bait today within 1 mile of Tofino harbour. Nothing too big, but an 18 lb Chinook from April on the BBQ will be fine with me. A couple kept and most released, it is has been a great start..

-Glad to help you Walleyes, when you get here later this month, there should just be more of them, bigger and hungerier....

J
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Great to hear...I wonder if they are going to come back glowing in the dark though.

Pretty scary what is happening out West..
Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Great to hear...I wonder if they are going to come back glowing in the dark though.

Pretty scary what is happening out West..
Good question and it has been asked by a number of guests already.

I do know that a very high component of the Southern BC Salmon catch is US origin Chinook and Coho, most of which don't travel or feed very far beyond the North Island or very far off of West Coast Vancouver Island (WCVI) This applies to most of the April through Late July fish that we catch, and to a lesser degree, the August-September Salmon that rear and travel further north and offshore, such as late Fraser River Chinook and WCVI wild stocks.

The Northern stocks have a higher component of Salmon that travel northern offshore waters and along the Alaskan Panhandle. I would guess that this MAY see any potential impacts before southern areas but no one is ringing any alarm bells and we are planning on catching and eating them.

If they come up glowing brighter than the Plugs and Spoons we are using, we will have something to start worrying about.

Tasty 18 lber hitting the BBQ shortly, I can't resist so this may be my last post.......
Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Thats great news.
Sure hope I can make it back out to the coast this summer.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Pretty awesome...2010 was a great season, 2009 was best season we have ever seen, even my Dad said that and he's been around awhile So wonder if it'll be as good as 2009...if so, we are in for a treat
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Can't wait till I head out to Prince Rupert this summer. Perhaps I can pull in that illusive 100lb+ halibut with along with a 30+lb chinook(tyee) being icing on the cake.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Be careful on the consumption. They could have a glow on from Japan.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Not so much related to the Salmon news thread, but discussion has involved risks of eating Seafood so I thought I'd include this News Release from today;

BC PROVINCIAL HEALTH AUTHORITIES UPGRADE

CANADIAN ALBACORE TUNA

Issues related to the safety and nutrition of seafood are of considerable concern to both governments and the public at large. For years there has been a concern related to Mercury contamination in seafood, especially those longer lived, larger species such as shark, swordfish, tile fish, and some tunas. In recognition of the abundance of accumulated data related specifically to Canadian Albacore Tuna, the BC Ministry of Health and the BC Centre for Disease Control recently revised, and upgraded, their recommendations related to limits for consumption of Canadian Albacore Tuna to “NO LIMITS” in all categories.
http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile68m.stm

In British Columbia, we are in a unique position in that our Albacore Tuna fleet captures young (2-3 years of age) fish almost exclusively, at a unique time in their live before they have accumulated any significant amount of background mercury. In fact, our BC/Canadian albacore tuna, as well as those caught along the Pacific Coast of North America, have for years consistently tested amoungst the lowest in the world for mercury in albacore tunas.

As stated in the new recommendations:

Fish is part of a healthy diet. Fish provides many nutrients such as protein, while being low in saturated fat. Fish also provides healthy omega-3 fats, which are good for your heart and brain. Omega-3 fats are important especially for the brain and eye development of babies and children. Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide recommends at least 2 servings of fish each week for children 2 years of age and older and for adults.

I know that I'll be trying to catch Albacore this fall if we get them close enough, and don't hesitate to eat them. I Cold smoked 80 lbs of it last fall and it is awesome. If you have never tried it, you should...

J.

Tags
bc fishing, bc salmon fishing, salmon news, tofino bc fishing, vancouver island fishing