Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-19-2023, 04:55 PM

Default Chronograph

Just had a quick search, and there seems to be a lack of chronograph threads on here.

I know they come up, but seldom, and usually incorporated into other threads, so I figured it is time for a new one.

What do guys usually run??

I know the older caldwells, Lab Radar has been the new kid for a while and popular, andi scan, and the Bullet seeker, and the Magnetospeed.

What are guys paying for the "bullet seeker" and the "andi scan" ones?

The new LR: $939 plus accessories.
Magnetospeed V3 kit: $629
Andi Scan: $??
Bullet Seeker: $??
Garmin Xero: $799

AAAAND the newest kid on the block: the new Garmin Xero C1 Pro.

Don't think too many yet have their hands on the garmin, but reviews are pretty great, and it looks like it will be the LR killer.

I have been looking for years, but it was never a top priority to have one, as I was spending on components and getting trigger time, instead of worrying about a chrony. Well, I'm now in the market for a Chrony.

My thoughts below on each unit. Disclaimer: I have not used any of these, nor the older caldwell units, and just going on things I have read about over the years on these units on forums, or seen in person. The as seen live is also limited. I know that there are usually 10 times the amount of exposure for a product when things go bad, vs usually limited praise when things are great, so that is always taken with a grain of salt.

LR: I have heard has been a hit and miss on dropped shots, hard to align, not always user friendly, uses a huge amount of power. Just a huge unit overall.

V3: mounts to the rifle barrel and throws off groups. Extra costs to get is properly mounted on the stock so that adds a few hundred $$, putting you close to LR range.

Andi Scan: What I have been interested in for a while. Here they run about $1K. Hard to get from only the one guy that makes these as a side hobby. Guys worried about no market support if the guy ever gets out of his hobby.

Bullet Seeker: Followed these guys for a bit as well. They had some growing pains, and having to add accessories to their unit to get better readings. Hopefully they are up to snuff, and worked out all their problems. Heard these are running close to if not over the $1K range by the time you get them into Canada as well.

Garmin: Nothing but praise on these units on all the forums. Seem to be the most user friendly units. Wide selection of what you shoot over. Archery, hand gun, 22, air, in a large group with several on the shooting line, and have not heard of any negatives "yet". Hard to get one of these as they are so new, and the "rave" right now. Guys selling the LR and getting these units, if they find any in stock. Garmin shows 2-3 weeks wait, but I know that is actually 5-8 weeks as per a chat earlier today with garmin sales.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:03 PM

Lol,

Went from writing this thread to CGN, and lo and behold, 3 as new LR units on market as of today only. Didn't look specifically as a search either.

I guess there are going to be alot of these flooding the market now, so if you ever wanted one, it will be a buyers market.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:16 PM

I have only had a cheap Caldwell and a labradar.
The Caldwell worked surprisingly well once it was set up properly. Although I hit it with a sabot. Bullet went where i was expecting... forgot the sabot would be lower.

Labradar is a very cool unit. I cast my own for the 45/70 and from the different speeds at the different ranges that it records I can find out the true SD of the bullet and figure out holds at longer ranges.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:17 PM

Pretty good chance, the Garmin may be the best of the bunch, too early to tell yet though, was under the impression they're not actually on the market yet, fella on FB posted a promo ad for it today from a gunshop, doesn't say a bunch, but, it is good up to 5000fps apparently, they still haven't said if it is actually a doeppler unit or not though, which the Labradar, Bulletseeker and Andiscan are.

LItz just posted a review, I don't subscribe tp AB though, so, those who do can read it. Says it's legit in his clickbait.

Last edited by 32-40win; 10-19-2023 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:24 PM

from Garmin Canada,
https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/771164

and if you have an ARCA rail, Area419 has this:
https://www.area419.com/product/garm...r-chronograph/
Old 10-19-2023, 05:51 PM

I wonder how it handles 22 rounds? Wasn't it LabRadar that didn't handle them well without an add on piece? I have a Caldwell and it works for everything I've done while plugging numbers in to a ballistics solver, but it does miss a few shots and I'm not wild on the "downrange" set up.

I was thinking about a Magnetospeed with an Arca mount until I saw this.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:54 PM

My labradar won't pick up the sound of a .22
Put it on the doppler option where a object triggers it vs the sound and its flawless. Picks up every shot
Old 10-19-2023, 05:59 PM

I still have my old Chrony, about a hundred bucks.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-19-2023, 06:25 PM

^ Me too, Chrony... red model
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-19-2023, 06:48 PM

Sounds like I'm not the only one with an old piece of kit lol. I think this old one is from the late 80s.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-19-2023, 07:18 PM

3-4 new reviews on YT now. this one is from X-ring, he's pretty good;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMilgPvrfY
Old 10-19-2023, 09:16 PM

Default Nice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
3-4 new reviews on YT now. this one is from X-ring, he's pretty good;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMilgPvrfY
Good review. I recently purchased a Bullet Seeker. The Garmin looks pretty nice too. Nice to see some progression in Chrono's
Ive used and owned both the Labradar and magneto Speed. They worked well but these new units solve some of the problems with them.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:18 PM

I started out with a shooting chrony. Hated getting it lined up and errors. Bought a magnetospeed but didn’t like how it would impact the groups and the rubber strap holding it to the barrel was constantly moving.

I bought a lab radar and love it.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:53 PM

I bought the magnetospeed. It works fine, does what it needs to do for me. I haven’t actually tested the impact on groups personally, but i have always suspected it would.

Would I buy it again? Tough call. The labradar unit seems a lot easier to use and doesn’t interfere with groups. But is it worth the price difference? Depends on what the shooting goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2023, 09:32 AM

A friend of mine that owns a gun store and does quite a bit of long range shooting tested a Magneto speed, Labradar and a Caldwell simultaneously.
Their was no decernable differance is velocity between the three.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:08 AM

I noticed a lot of chonys for sale as well, then I remembered Garmin was making one. I have a magnetospeed but would like one that works with a bow as well.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:20 AM

4 more posts this am, as new/ new Lab radars up this morning on CGN.

Be interesting how low guys start to go as more hit the market. Still hovering $725-$750 for now.

If you always wanted one, now is the time.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
tested a Magneto speed, Labradar and a Caldwell simultaneously.
Their was no decernable differance in velocity between the three.
I would expect that to be the case, just proving that they all work well. To choose between them is basically ease of use for your given application or where you set it up. I have used a number over the years, Oehlr, Chrony, RCBS, Caldwell. Have used Labradar since they first came out, and doubt I will ever do anything different.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:12 PM

Default Labradar

I too owned one. Worked well but it was a bit clumsy. The bullet seeker (speed tracker) is just alot more compact. It actually attaches to your rifle so set up is a breeze plus you can use it in a competition if they allow it. Question for most is cost vs value. What do you value and how much are you willing to spend.

For me the extra $$$$ was worth the convience. I do alot of target shooting at distance so its pretty useful. If your a hunter who just needs velocity for putting into a ballistics program to determine drop then its not likely worth it.

Your milage may very.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:24 AM

Looks like this wk was the official release on the Garmin, apparently it is a doeppler, but doesn't do downrange like Labradar does. I guess, considering, a new Garmin is 799 Cdn, 80 to 200 for the Area 419 clamp, my old Oehler was 340.00 in 1989 or so, new one is 7-800 now, Labradar with all the goodies is 11-1200, the Andiscan and Bulletseeker are both 200 or so more than Labradar.
I can wait til spring and see how the Garmin is doing, then make a decision, but, it appears to be the way to go. Not sure when I bought the V3, probably 10 yrs ago, I don't much like setting it up, probably sell both of them and get a Garmin, if it seems to be holding up ok.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:57 AM

I bought my labradar used a few years back, and like it, no need to sell it and buy anything else .
I would have bought a magnetospeed, but one shot with it mounted on one of my BP rifles was enough!
I never considered the issue of the bekching black smoke on the bayonet of the unit!!
The thing I like about the labradar is that I can test several rifle without having to take the unit off and on each gun , like the Magnetospeed , and that i don't have the set up hassles like the ones mounted forward of the firing line.
Cat
Old 10-22-2023, 03:46 PM

Default Good Point

Thats a good point about the Dopler radar units. You can switch rifles very easily. The garmin has an advantage over the Bullet Seeker/Speed Tracker in that its stand alone. With the Garmin unit you dont need a pic rail to attach it to the rifle. I think its kind of the best of both worlds. All the advantages of Labradar and the compact size of the Bullet seeker. The price is sure nice compared to the Bullet Seeker. Its also nice to have a big company like Garmin with all there experience and what not standing behind it.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:30 PM

I’ll be selling my Magneto Speed for the Garmin. I love the simplicity of using the unit based on the positive review.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I still have my old Chrony, about a hundred bucks.

Grizz
Yup me to the red one, got to use a pen and note pad to track the numbers and a calculator to get the averages, it's an slow steady process but at my age slow and steady is the order of the day

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:55 AM

I avoided the Labradar, because of the velocity limitation, as I had some cartridges producing over 4000fps. I still use a Magnetospeed V2, but if I was still doing a lot more load development, I would probably try the new Garmin. As it is, I don't do nearly as much load development anymore, and it just isn't worth spending the extra cash.