Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 AM

When I put a skinner peep on my 22" Marlin 1895 I was able to keep the stock bead sight. I like the combination so much I've never considered changing the front sight. And I tend to remove the front hood on every Marlin I get.

Another option is the XS sights scout rail. I've bought a couple off Amazon that came with front and rear (ghost ring) sights. Good option if you want to try mounting an optic.

Colin
Old 12-04-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I was looking at these this morning.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
That’s a nice looking rifle there, Bacon.
Thank you sir

Old 12-04-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That’s a fine looking rifle, peep sights if needed, shame to put on some fandangled space aged eye ball enhancer
I kind of agree with the look you are describing.

I was looking at Williams and Lyman sights. Lots of windage and elevation adjustments but not sure how I feel about the bulky side mount.

I like the Williams fire sights. Fiber optic and not bulky.

I was looking at skinner sights from the links above. I think I might like the longer rear sight better than the shorter one.

Was also looking at Ranger Point Precision sights. Fiber optic front and rear. Does anyone have any experience with these? They're available locally.

And pictured is my Bushnell red dot.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:34 PM

Beautiful 444! I've got a JM myself and it was my father's. Pride and joy of my safe!
Old 12-13-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Beautiful 444! I've got a JM myself and it was my father's. Pride and joy of my safe!
Thanks!

Do you ever take it out to shoot?

Old 12-14-2022, 10:36 AM

Is second hand brass any good I'll start saving it and giving it away I don't shoot a whole lot every year though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Is second hand brass any good I'll start saving it and giving it away I don't shoot a whole lot every year though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Send it my way!

Old 12-14-2022, 11:43 AM

I think I made a big mistake. I ordered some new starline brass and some Hornady 265 gr ftx bullets. The ones used in the leverevolution ammo. Then today I'm reading that those bullets only work in shortened brass and the dies need to be shortened also. I think I just wasted my money.

Does anyone have experience loading with the ftx bullets from Hornady?

Old 12-14-2022, 04:07 PM

Yes you generally have to shorten the brass and your seating die to run the ftx, there’s a possibility they will cycle in your rifle in full length cases, might be worth a try before doing anything drastic.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:02 PM

Man I wish I had one of them!...
Old 12-14-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I think I made a big mistake. I ordered some new starline brass and some Hornady 265 gr ftx bullets. The ones used in the leverevolution ammo. Then today I'm reading that those bullets only work in shortened brass and the dies need to be shortened also. I think I just wasted my money.

Does anyone have experience loading with the ftx bullets from Hornady?

All is not lost. You're not the first one to run into this issue with the FTX bullets. There are lots of threads about this very thing across multiple forums.
Apparently, Hornady dies would make your life easier, as they are designed to crimp both the standard 2.225" and the shorter 2.065" Leverevolution cases.
Options for other brand dies are to shorten the seating die on a lathe or milling machine so it will crimp the shorter cases. I saw comments of 0.100", but would want to verify that.
You can trim some of the new Starline brass to Leverevolution specs, or simply buy more Hornady Leverevolution ammo and farm the brass. Save the Starline brass for other fodder.
Like a lot of hobbies, you can make most things work if you throw more money at it.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-14-2022, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
All is not lost. You're not the first one to run into this issue with the FTX bullets. There are lots of threads about this very thing across multiple forums.

Apparently, Hornady dies would make your life easier, as they are designed to crimp both the standard 2.225" and the shorter 2.065" Leverevolution cases.

Options for other brand dies are to shorten the seating die on a lathe or milling machine so it will crimp the shorter cases. I saw comments of 0.100", but would want to verify that.

You can trim some of the new Starline brass to Leverevolution specs, or simply buy more Hornady Leverevolution ammo and farm the brass. Save the Starline brass for other fodder.

Like a lot of hobbies, you can make most things work if you throw more money at it.
I think I will do just that. I'll get more factory hornady ammo. And that shorter brass will go with my ftx bullets. And get different bullets for the new starling brass, keeping it at full length.

And get a hornady crimping die at the correct shorter length, or modify a new die like you said. That way I can load both.

Yes I think spending more money is the path of least resistance.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:45 PM

Looking online I see the leupold vx freedom 3-9x40 as a suggestion for my 444.

Can that scope handle the recoil?

I have a few of them and wanted to use a scope for load development.

I already purchased a peep sight that I'll be using. I'd just like to have a more accurate view for testing.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:01 PM

I don't think you will have any issues at all with the VX freedom scope handling recoil. 444's I have shot weren't that harsh, especially compared to full house 45-70 loads for example.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:13 PM

I'll plan on using one then. And I don't plan on having these loads beat me up too bad.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:56 AM

I have Leupold freedom scope. Wouldn’t buy another because of the terrible turrets. On mine you can’t feel any clicks or sound when making adjustments
Old 12-29-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I have Leupold freedom scope. Wouldn’t buy another because of the terrible turrets. On mine you can’t feel any clicks or sound when making adjustments
I have them on a savage mkII and 2 CZ .22s

I've just been using them on our rimfires. I thought if it would work for load development I'd temporarily use one.

I was just concerned about the recoil.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:43 PM

So I did pick up a weaver scope rail for my load development. If I ever decide to actually use a scope on this rifle, I'll get something a bit better like the EGW rail I was originally looking at.

I mentioned before that I did pick up a peep sight. It should work with my front sight, but I will be replacing the front sight with a fiber optic unit that matches the rear. It just wasn't in stock.

Also with my hornady ftx bullet dilemma, the gentleman I purchased the rifle from is going to give me a second set of dies. So I'll be able to modify one set, and trim half of my brass. And if I ever find some bigger cast bullets, I'll still be ok.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:10 PM

Well I got my scope rail mounted. I'll try to pick up some low rings tomorrow. But this is pretty much what it will look like.

In 58 years I'm sure there has never been a scope mounted on this rifle. And I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

But as soon as I get a decent load figured out I'll be installing the new peep sight.

I just purchased some IMR4198 and some H335. Hopefully one of them pushes the 265gr FTX straight enough for my eyes.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:17 AM

So I purchased some CamPro 240 Gr plated bullets. I'll try them before butchering my new brass to use the Hornady 265 Gr FTX.

I read that these microgroove barrels shoot the lighter bullets a little straighter than the heavier ones anyway? So we'll see.

I've been having trouble finding anything else.

These might at least work for punching holes in paper. But I'll still try the box of loaded FTX that I already have. Hopefully it likes both.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2023, 11:12 PM

I think I have everything I need. I'll have to get myself a 44 magnum. I don't think I'll be putting 500 rounds through this thing.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:28 AM

I just purchased 100 240 gr lead gas checked .430 dia from Rusty Woods. I plan on power coating them which will add another thou.
I just purchased a 1970 Marlin 444 100 year anniversary model also.
Sure love those lever guns. Phil.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
I just purchased 100 240 gr lead gas checked .430 dia from Rusty Woods. I plan on power coating them which will add another thou.

I just purchased a 1970 Marlin 444 100 year anniversary model also.

Sure love those lever guns. Phil.
That is awesome. Do you know what powder you'll be using yet?

Got any pics?

Old 02-03-2023, 04:17 PM

At the same time as the bullet purchase i bought a lb of imr 4198. In most of my research on the 444 this powder seems to be used a lot.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:12 PM

That's one that I'm going to try as well

Old 02-04-2023, 07:15 PM

Default sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Just mounted a quality pistol red dot on my JM 1894 in 44 magnum and I love it. Battery life is supposed to be 50k hours. My eyes struggle with irons so the red dot worked well for me.
i used bushnell trS 25 on my 45/70
and 454 cussul rifle for yrs no problems short range only

Last edited by 454/70; 02-04-2023 at 07:18 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 02-10-2023, 08:40 AM

I just ordered a new style brass magazine follower to help with the FTX ammo. Geez it wasn't easy getting a straight answer on which one is for the 444.

I even called Wild West Guns, because that's what Prophet River stocks, and they told me to order one for a 45/70. Which is not the right one.

I got a recommendation for a US company that makes them. I got my answer in minutes. And with shipping it was still cheaper than buying the wrong one locally.

I also purchased a single crimp die so I don't have to butcher my new RCBS dies when loading the FTX bullets.

There wasn't many left in Canada. So I'm glad I got one coming.

Now if my front site would decide to show up, I think I'll have everything I need.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:19 PM

What range are you guys limiting yourselves to? I was thinking of seeing how this thing performs out to 200 yards max. Is that outta wack? I'm thinking my projectiles will be in the 240-265 grain range. I'd also like to go heavier if the micro groove barrel agrees with them.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:25 PM

I finally made it to the range today. I usually remove the bolt and look through the barrel to bore sight and get on paper. Well I got all set up and realized I didn't have a screw driver to remove the lever and bolt.

Just wingin it I took a shot at 50 yards and missed. No biggie I had a 1 in 4 chance for proper correction. I aimed a half a sheet of paper length higher and hit paper. Aimed at the same spot and dialed my scope down to my hit and shot again. Ready for 100 yards now.

First shot pretty close to point of aim. I wanted to check grouping so did not adjust. Next 4 shots grouped pretty good low and right. I was probably pulling as it feels like it has a 20 lb. trigger.

I shot 2 more times to make it an even 10 shots. They made my group quite a bit bigger but at least I know this thing will group the 265 grain FTX ammo with the micro groove barrel.

I brought my chronograph along to see what I'd see with the Hornady factory ammo.

Fps was:
Average of 2260 fps and SD of 9.3

Overall I'm very happy. I'll have to mess with the trigger a bit tho.