Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 09:14 PM

Default .270 Ammo recommendations for moose?

As the title says. I am taking my Tikka T3 .270 for moose this fall. Any recommendations for ammunition? Cost is not an issue for this rifle if it means quality. All copper is preferred if possible.

The gun loved Federal Fusion 130gr for whitetail 2 years ago.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 PM

If it were my 270 it would be Fed a diet of 140 or 150 accubonds.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 AM

130's will do the job if you can hit where you're aiming but 140's and 50's are just so much better. Accubonds and Partitions are pretty hard to beat.

Coppers? No clue because I don't shoot them but judging by comments most seem to move down 10-20 grains from the norms in lead.

I recall one poster here mentioning his son took his first moose with copper 110's I believe.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:17 AM

150 partititions
Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 AM

A controlled expansion 130gr bullet will work just fine.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
As the title says. I am taking my Tikka T3 .270 for moose this fall. Any recommendations for ammunition? Cost is not an issue for this rifle if it means quality. All copper is preferred if possible.

If copper is preferred then run a copper. Are you hunting thick bush or more open fields? I'd run a 130 gr Federal Trophy Copper or Barnes TTSX/TSX. I prefer those over the GMX & E-TIP - both are still good options if your gun likes them though. If you find it doesn't like either of those, I'd run a 130gr Nos Accubond or Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. The federal fusion is a bonded bullet and would work fine too. With the quality of todays Copper and bonded bullets, you don't have to go heavy [fine if you choose to though] Just be mindful of the minimum expansion velocities. All of these bullets have a minimum of 1800 ft./s Except the GMX which is 2000 ft./s. Stick with the 130s and keep the 270 fast and flat. The gun will tell ya though

here's a close range moose shot with a 7mm08 and a 140gr fed fusion. 94% weight retained. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7J35iNLXec&t=300s
Good luck
Old 07-14-2018, 08:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A controlled expansion 130gr bullet will work just fine.
Yup.
Place it in the boiler room, deflate the airbags and your moose is on the ground

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2018, 08:51 AM

I used to reload the Nosler 160 gr. partition in my 270 for moose,worked great.Not sure if you can buy them in pre rolled ammo thow.It was hard to find just the bullets.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 AM

Anything will do the trick, they’re not wearing Kevlar. Concentrate on finding which ammunition groups the best in your rifle. Aside from the different bullet weights you might find variables (positive or negative) with ammo that is loaded a bit hotter, such as Hornady’s Superformance or the ‘high energy’ lines by others (Federal?).

The cheap stuff kills ‘em just as dead when it’s put in the right spot. I had one rifle that preferred Federal Fusion to the much more expensive premium lines so thats what I shot in it. Every now and then you luck out, like a with a low-maintenance girlfriend!
Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Federal Premium 150gr nosler partitions would be my choice.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:26 AM

I’ve shot all my Moose with 130 gr. Nosler Accubonds.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:45 AM

Default 270 ammo recommendation

I have shot many moose with my .270 loaded with 140 Hornady Interlocks. I’m sure Accubonds would be a great choice as well.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 07-14-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 07-14-2018, 10:55 AM

One of my friends used a .270 for years for moose and deer, he loaded 140 grain HPBT Game Kings and swore by them - still does!
Cat
Old 07-14-2018, 11:04 AM

Ive probably killed over a half dozen moose with 150 grain corelocts, simply because they are the only suitable ammunition I can find locally on a regular basis. They have performed well, never had a moose go further than 40 yards, about half of them were one shot kills. On several occasions Ive had them break both shoulder blades, on a practical level I don't believe one needs better penetration than that. I used to buy tougher bullets for moose and elk but now consider it unnecessary.

If you want to use lighter bullets its probably a good idea to get a tougher bullet, but at the ranges moose are typically shot I feel that the flatter trajectory is unneeded and the added velocity is of little value. In my experience If you are ok using heavyer bullets a mechanically locked bullet is sufficient at non magnum velocities.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:09 AM

My .270 runs 140gr Hornady SSTs. Havent tried them on anything bigger than a Whitetail as of yet, but damn. They dead.

Also, Running a tikka T3. Love that gun.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:58 PM

I was taught that you dont stop shooting elk and moose until they fall or you can't see them. So I believe in Barnes ttsx for them especially when using say a 270 where you may have to shoot at a bad angle and want to drive it a little deeper or for fast cartridges like the weatherbys where you may worry about core separation on closer shots.
Soooo I've shot moose and elk with them out of a 270, 300 wby, 338-378 wby, 270wsm, and 300wsm, and for moose and especially elk they're my go to bullet. I'd shoot 129 lrx or 130 ttsx or even 110 ttsx out of your 270.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:01 AM

Barnes TTSX is a fantastic bullet.

Frankly though you may want to find the most accurate factory load in the 150 grain if you are not handloading.

Especially if you are shooting at slightly longer ranges - don’t know what your max range will be where you are hunting.

Nosler partitions are a fantastic bullet but in a factory load i have seen some problems. A friend of mine had some performance issues on a whitetail - three shots to the bread basket and all three bullets recovered. 30-06 was rifle caliber.

Distance was 60 to 100 yards.

We took the balance of the box to the range and fired them off using the Labradar to check velocity. We found over 500 fps spread on remaining rounds.

I thought it was likely a one off problem with that one box but that result did not sit well with either of us.

Since that time I have seen the issue no less that three additional times with factory ammo. Different brands and bullets heads. Each time I was at the range and somebody was bitching about bad groups so they setup on my bench and sure enough it was the ammo velocity.

I stopped buying factory loads for hunting a long time ago. To me what I handload is essentially match grade and performance certainly is on par.

My two cents - your mileage may vary!
Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
Barnes TTSX is a fantastic bullet.

Frankly though you may want to find the most accurate factory load in the 150 grain if you are not handloading.

Especially if you are shooting at slightly longer ranges - don’t know what your max range will be where you are hunting.

Nosler partitions are a fantastic bullet but in a factory load i have seen some problems. A friend of mine had some performance issues on a whitetail - three shots to the bread basket and all three bullets recovered. 30-06 was rifle caliber.

Distance was 60 to 100 yards.

We took the balance of the box to the range and fired them off using the Labradar to check velocity. We found over 500 fps spread on remaining rounds.

I thought it was likely a one off problem with that one box but that result did not sit well with either of us.

Since that time I have seen the issue no less that three additional times with factory ammo. Different brands and bullets heads. Each time I was at the range and somebody was bitching about bad groups so they setup on my bench and sure enough it was the ammo velocity.

I stopped buying factory loads for hunting a long time ago. To me what I handload is essentially match grade and performance certainly is on par.

My two cents - your mileage may vary!
If you are seeing over 500fps difference in velocity, you wouldn't need a chronograph to notice the issue. The difference in recoil would be very dramatic, as would be the noise level. If I was seeing velocity differences that large, and I couldn't feel the huge difference in recoil, I would suspect the chronograph. As for the accuracy vs velocity variation, the lowest extreme spread will not always produce the best accuracy, especially at 100-200 yards. Quite often, the best groups will be produced by loads that have a slightly higher variation in velocity. If it was all about finding the most consistent velocity, there would be no need to even shoot groups, to find the most accurate load.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
If you are seeing over 500fps difference in velocity, you wouldn't need a chronograph to notice the issue. The difference in recoil would be very dramatic, as would be the noise level. If I was seeing velocity differences that large, and I couldn't feel the huge difference in recoil, I would suspect the chronograph. As for the accuracy vs velocity variation, the lowest extreme spread will not always produce the best accuracy, especially at 100-200 yards. Quite often, the best groups will be produced by loads that have a slightly higher variation in velocity. If it was all about finding the most consistent velocity, there would be no need to even shoot groups, to find the most accurate load.
Chronograph is exceptionally accurate. My most accurate loads provide well under 10 fps Es although these are not cf rounds! 20-50 Es is not unusual though for CF.

But I’ve had low Es test loads and less than desireable accuracy for sure.

There were noticeable differences in recoil for sure. He noticed it at the time as well.

Not sure I agree with your 100 to 200 fps not making any difference to accuracy.

Or best groups having high ES, or high ES being in any way desireable, well that has not been my experience.

Hunting accuracy for sure no issue with a couple hundred fps but penetration on some cals/any cals could be very much affected by 500 fps.

When you step up to large cal it makes a hell of a difference. 200 fps roughly equals your first 100 yard velocity shed with a high B.C. bullet.

500 fps and greater will change poi even in cartridges small as 17.

Regardless you missed the point here. It wasn’t about accuracy with the crappy factory loads, all three hit the mark. Right?

3 shots in 3006 at under 100 in the bread basket should be complete pass through.

The bullets were all intact. Had that been a moose it would have walked away.

Again I gave my two cents to the op - just an opinion.

I’ve owned and loaded for no less tha 5 T3 in 270 Win. All were ridiculously accurate right out of the box. He will have no issues finding a good moose taking factory load.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Chronograph is exceptionally accurate. My most accurate loads provide well under 10 fps Es although these are not cf rounds! 20-50 Es is not unusual though for CF.

But I’ve had low Es test loads and less than desireable accuracy for sure.

There were noticeable differences in recoil for sure. He noticed it at the time as well.

Not sure I agree with your 100 to 200 fps not making any difference to accuracy.

Or best groups having high ES, or high ES being in any way desireable, well that has not been my experience.

Hunting accuracy for sure no issue with a couple hundred fps but penetration on some cals/any cals could be very much affected by 500 fps.

When you step up to large cal it makes a hell of a difference. 200 fps roughly equals your first 100 yard velocity shed with a high B.C. bullet.

500 fps and greater will change poi even in cartridges small as 17.

Regardless you missed the point here. It wasn’t about accuracy with the crappy factory loads, all three hit the mark. Right?

3 shots in 3006 at under 100 in the bread basket should be complete pass through.

The bullets were all intact. Had that been a moose it would have walked away.

Again I gave my two cents to the op - just an opinion.

I’ve owned and loaded for no less tha 5 T3 in 270 Win. All were ridiculously accurate right out of the box. He will have no issues finding a good moose taking factory load.
I never posted anything about 100 to 200fps, I posted 100 to 200 yards, as at these ranges, a larger velocity variation isn't nearly as much of a factor as it is at longer distances. As to the recovered bullets from the deer you posted about, were they expanded properly? Usually less velocity results in less expansion, and this often results in more penetration , rather than less penetration. A possible exception, is when the velocity is so low that even an unexpanded bullet doesn't penetrate. However, using a 30-06 at 60 to 100 yards, this likely isn't the case. Even a velocity drop of 500fps won't cause that at those distances.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:49 AM

My choice is a 130 Partition.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 AM

There is such a wide range of bullets suitable for the .270 Win, and the intended game, it’s damn near impossible to say one brand is superior to the other.

I’d look closely at bullets like:

Barnes, TSX, TTSX
Hornady, ELDX
Speer, Grand Slam
Nosler, Accubond, Partition
Swift, Scirroco, A-Frame

Weights from 130-160 grains are likely your top choices.

Choose which ever bullet shoots best in your rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I never posted anything about 100 to 200fps, I posted 100 to 200 yards, as at these ranges, a larger velocity variation isn't nearly as much of a factor as it is at longer distances. As to the recovered bullets from the deer you posted about, were they expanded properly? Usually less velocity results in less expansion, and this often results in more penetration , rather than less penetration. A possible exception, is when the velocity is so low that even an unexpanded bullet doesn't penetrate. However, using a 30-06 at 60 to 100 yards, this likely isn't the case. Even a velocity drop of 500fps won't cause that at those distances.

I misread your post - my apologies.

It was a very weird occurrence. I saw all three bullets. One was mushroomed right or close enough which was in fact the last shot while animal quartered away. It was recovered just inside the skin other front side apparently.

The other two were found in the body cavity. If I recall right one was deformed from a rib it poked and another was under expanded - looked like a pencil eraser at the tip.

I was very skeptical when I first heard of this happening but after seeing the bullets and weighing them and seeing the range results in my mind it was very poor factory loads.

How many 3006 pills are ever recovered in whitetail in broadside shots? Pretty close to nil I would think. I also think we may not have seen the worst of it either as in a couple of those bullets could have been even lower in speed than minus 500fps. All sorts of weird things happen inside the cavity with slower speed projectiles when they don’t have weight in grains to make up for it.

I got that fellow into reloading after that trouble and he has been rolling his own since. He can shoot well and in general has horse shoes up his but when it comes to bagging deer and other game. He bought one of my T3 in 3006 as well which was a good move.

Last summer my brother got a new fancy browning in 243 from his wife as an anniversary present. We went to the range and he dialed it in with the first box to 200 yards. Accuracy held MOA or a tad better with 58vmax factory.

Second box expanded to 3 inches at 100 - no explanation. We looked at rings and all screws etc. Nothing was out of whack. It had a good Burris scope on it so we thought maybe the scope lost its marbles but before we went to far with that we decided to try three rounds from the load I’d made up for another buddies predator in 243. They were FL and not max load but very accurate in the Ruger.

We put 5 into Sub MOA group.

We switched gears at that point and I popped the browning into the lead sled beside the chrony. Just shy of 30 rounds down the pipe and velocity swings just over 400 fps with the factory stuff. We were amazed.

Now to be fair that gun liked 87 grain Vmax so much better. Half MOA was what we settled for in the end.

Come to think of it that is the second 243 I know of that has had problems with factory 58’s. The other one we found two different colours of primers in the spent brass boxes the fellow gave me to look at. Still not sure what the heck happened there.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I misread your post - my apologies.

It was a very weird occurrence. I saw all three bullets. One was mushroomed right or close enough which was in fact the last shot while animal quartered away. It was recovered just inside the skin other front side apparently.

The other two were found in the body cavity. If I recall right one was deformed from a rib it poked and another was under expanded - looked like a pencil eraser at the tip.

I was very skeptical when I first heard of this happening but after seeing the bullets and weighing them and seeing the range results in my mind it was very poor factory loads.

How many 3006 pills are ever recovered in whitetail in broadside shots? Pretty close to nil I would think. I also think we may not have seen the worst of it either as in a couple of those bullets could have been even lower in speed than minus 500fps. All sorts of weird things happen inside the cavity with slower speed projectiles when they don’t have weight in grains to make up for it.

I got that fellow into reloading after that trouble and he has been rolling his own since. He can shoot well and in general has horse shoes up his but when it comes to bagging deer and other game. He bought one of my T3 in 3006 as well which was a good move.

Last summer my brother got a new fancy browning in 243 from his wife as an anniversary present. We went to the range and he dialed it in with the first box to 200 yards. Accuracy held MOA or a tad better with 58vmax factory.

Second box expanded to 3 inches at 100 - no explanation. We looked at rings and all screws etc. Nothing was out of whack. It had a good Burris scope on it so we thought maybe the scope lost its marbles but before we went to far with that we decided to try three rounds from the load I’d made up for another buddies predator in 243. They were FL and not max load but very accurate in the Ruger.

We put 5 into Sub MOA group.

We switched gears at that point and I popped the browning into the lead sled beside the chrony. Just shy of 30 rounds down the pipe and velocity swings just over 400 fps with the factory stuff. We were amazed.

Now to be fair that gun liked 87 grain Vmax so much better. Half MOA was what we settled for in the end.

Come to think of it that is the second 243 I know of that has had problems with factory 58’s. The other one we found two different colours of primers in the spent brass boxes the fellow gave me to look at. Still not sure what the heck happened there.
Either s0meone is storing their factory loads improperly, or they are just unlucky, as I have chronographed hundreds of factory loads over the years, and I have never seen 400-500fps variations from factory ammunition. If I did see such variations, I would definitely be contacting the manufacturer with my concern.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:

I used Winchester 130 PP Factory ammo for years and shot many moose up close and as far as 600 yards and they all died. The 130 Federal Fusion would work fine with a well placed shot.

The Hornady Superformance 140 SST factory ammo shot with bullets touching at 3023 fps from a friends Remington 700. Nosler factory loads had the 150 Accubond doing 2931 and shot good as well.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:57 PM

I would try hornady superperformance gmx 130s myself.Im sure there's a few good copper bullets you could go with.3190 fps is the speed listed for 270 gmx.l have used superperformance gmx in 308 on moose with good success but haven't tried them in 270 yet.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I've killed big bull moose with this load. The fusions are no slouch.

That said I'm a big fan of the 130gr Ttsx and would stuff them on top of 60gr of H4831 then go hunting.

I've also killed bill moose with a 150gr Hornady cup and core.

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.
-Thomas Paine
Old 07-16-2018, 09:02 PM

My Browning A Bolt II loves Hornady Custom 140 gr.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I've killed big bull moose with this load. The fusions are no slouch.

That said I'm a big fan of the 130gr Ttsx and would stuff them on top of 60gr of H4831 then go hunting.

I've also killed bill moose with a 150gr Hornady cup and core.
Agreed. I've had 2 different 270s and both loved the fusions. I've also used the 130 gr TTSXs offered by Federal but then Federal changed to their own copper bullet and I don't like it as much as the Barnes. I'd consider buying factory Barnes ammo just so I could get Barnes bullets again. Not sure if any other manufacturers offer Barnes bullets in their 270 ammo. I'm not a reloader.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If it were my 270 it would be Fed a diet of 140 or 150 accubonds.
I second the accubond 150's or partitions

Tight lines.......straight shooting