Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2016, 11:54 AM

Default Blackberry Passport

Preface, if you are a Blackberry hater, please move along, I don't need to hear all the bashing from those who don't even use them...

So it seems as though Blackberry is getting out of the hardware market, and will be licensing and outsourcing their phone production, while concentrating on their software. I've been using BB for about 8 years, very happy with them in all ways, but figured I should get a new one in case future models lose their quality construction. I've had a Curve, Bold, and currently use a Classic. I love the simplicity of updating to a new phone with the Blackberry Desktop software.

I decided to buy an unlocked BB and put it away for the day when the Classic ever shuts down, if it does. Was going to get another Classic, but the Passport can be had right now direct from BB for $329, ($345 shipped, tax, all in). Read some reviews, watched some videos, and ordered one. Wondering if there are any users here and how they like it compared to the Bold, Curve, Classic. Watching the reviews/comparisons on youtube, it is in most aspects superior to the IPhone 6 (which as I side note has class action law suits in Canada and the USA for 'screen freeze' issues, I was reading this morning). I'm not an IPhone fan after seeing how fragile they are, my kids have gone through a half dozen iterations while my Classic keeps chugging along. You also can't beat the fact that it is a third the price, did I mention that? Anyway...any BB people on the forum, or am I the only 'dinosaur', as all my iPhone using friends call me.....but for my 'office in a pocket', the BB fits me perfectly. Rugged, reliable, phone/text/email and some browsing. No games or apps needed, thanks.

Did I mention how much I detest listening to someone talk to Siri?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Using the bold 9900 for years, still works fine and i love it and its range/lack of dropped calls but i use it as a phone mostly.

I too read about the BB change and am wondering what that really means, will they still be making and supporting phones or is this the final nail in the companies cell phone side?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Banned

The Passport is hands down the best phone my greasy fingers have ever touched. I just received a Passport Silver Edition for IF this Passport ever craps out. I've owned a Curve, Storm, Storm2, Bold, Torch, Z10, Z30, Leap, Passport, and Priv. Not one of those had to be replaced out of necessity. I have an iPad, and I couldn't stand the Android OS.

The Passport I have now has been dropped and flipped onto concrete 100s of times and is still going strong, and I've never owned a protective case. The keyboard is BlackBerrys best IMO. Camera is great, screen is huge. Reception is better than my iPad.

Can't say enough good about it.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Using the bold 9900 for years, still works fine and i love it and its range/lack of dropped calls but i use it as a phone mostly.

I too read about the BB change and am wondering what that really means, will they still be making and supporting phones or is this the final nail in the companies cell phone side?
I understand that they are going to license the BlackBerry brand and third parties will make phones for them under license.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:09 PM

Well, that sounds promising NV. I know they are tough and longer lasting than anything else I've had, or that others in my trade have had. Samsung, LG, IPhone, they don't last on a dusty dirty muddy job site the same as a BB, in my experience. I look forward to getting the Passport.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone