Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Buying from Kuiu (Canada) website

Does anyone know if duty is included or added to the prices shown on checkout? Kuiu indicates it’s included, but I have skeptical tendencies and would like to hear from other buyers. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:54 PM

I’m pretty sure if you order from the Canadian site the price you see is what you pay, all fees incl.

LC
Old 02-17-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Does anyone know if duty is included or added to the prices shown on checkout? Kuiu indicates it’s included, but I have skeptical tendencies and would like to hear from other buyers. Thanks!
If you don't trust them to tell you the truth about something that simple I would suggest you maybe shouldn't be buying their gear at all, and I am not being a smart aleck. If I wanted to double check I wasn't reading something wrong, make sure prices are Canadian etc I would pick up the phone, make a note of name, date, time and answer I got.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you don't trust them to tell you the truth about something that simple I would suggest you maybe shouldn't be buying their gear at all, and I am not being a smart aleck. If I wanted to double check I wasn't reading something wrong, make sure prices are Canadian etc I would pick up the phone, make a note of name, date, time and answer I got.
Fair comment. I’m wanting to hear from others because I’ve heard that substantial duties have been added on surprisingly and inconsistently in the past, and perhaps not by Kuiu, but by customs, as Kuiu products are no longer made in the US. I’m hopeful that’s either bs or has been addressed.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:10 PM

Bought a pack and frame from there last season came very fast no extra costs.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Banned

I just ordered a set of their kutana rain gear that is on sale
Last purchase didnt have any hidden charges
Im 99% kuiu takes this into consideration when you order it
I know sitka doesnt so theres usually a bit of a shock when that package arrives
Old 02-17-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post

What you see for a price in Canadian dollars is what you pay. They also run ppd ship at 250-300 often.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:37 PM

I ordered a bag and pants and didn’t have any hidden fees when package arrived. Came thru Canada post and was delivered to mailbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2020, 04:54 AM

Duty charges can be random and steep. Great to hear at least one company is figuring out a system to get quality products to Canadians.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:57 AM

I have ordered a few times and have never had any additional charges when ordered through the Canadian site. A friendly tip though, if you have a friend in the states, order through the American site and ship to your friend. I have saved a ton of money this way even with the exchange. I bought the Yukon rain gear and saved $160 this way.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
I have ordered a few times and have never had any additional charges when ordered through the Canadian site. A friendly tip though, if you have a friend in the states, order through the American site and ship to your friend. I have saved a ton of money this way even with the exchange. I bought the Yukon rain gear and saved $160 this way.
Yup. I do the same thing. My best friend lives in Lakeside MT, and I'll order a few items, ship them to him, visit for a weekend, and after 48 hours your duty free limit grows substantially - although not sure if that changes with the new CUSMA trade agreement.

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-to-canada/personal-exemptions-mini-guide
Old 02-25-2020, 09:39 AM

Be aware of one thing. If they ship to Canada using UPS or FedEx, there's a chance you'll get stung with an extra fee applied by the courier.

UPS is terrible for this. They call it a "brokerage fee"
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 03-02-2020, 12:22 PM

Default What you see is what you pay

I’ve ordered a LOT of things from KUIU, and it’s true that duty charges used to be very sporadic and inconsistent, but ever since they changed their website and show the prices in CAD, the prices are ALL INCLUSIVE. They will even ship for free if you spend >$300 CAD.

I wish the Canadian version of the website had an Outlet section like the American one, but when I emailed them they said the Canadian website is still young and they’re constantly making improvements and that’s one thing they’re looking at.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:43 PM

I'll add that the posted price is what you pay. I've ordered several minor purchases, two jackets, a vest and some gloves.