Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 PM

So true. I was thinking the same thing myself - the common ideas is they are/were both American, claim to be intellecutals, and seem so out of touch with the real world.
The WRA should come up with some of there own attack adds against Mortin that are bang on with Iggy.
He didnt come back for you. Haha I love that one.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Looks interesting Ryry4 I will have to watch the video when I get a chance the internet here at work is quite slow so I am not able to down load it.. Thanks for that..

This really doesn't take away our right to own land it just gives the government jurisdiction over said land,, really nothing that they haven't had already.. Whether it be this government or the next,, these type of things are just a reality of the times.. Especially where you have a province that is under such pressure for each and every little corner of it that ours is..

North of Owlseye. The area where the Suffield range sits was at one time mostly privately owned land. Back in the day the government needed a training area and as such deemed the area unfit for human occupation and removed the people from it. Most were compensated but many were not given the amount of land that was taken from them in the first place. Now don't ask me for the paper work on this one just going by the local people in the area and what they say.. I am sure if you did some digging you could find more,, personely it doesn't interest me enough to pursue...
There is a difference between being removed with compensation for the greater good of the country and being evicted without compensation at the request of big business. This AltaLink crap is the best example, a neighbor has a full section of land that this line will bisect right down the middle. No compensation for the land lost and no recourse to change the location such as a road allowance so that in the future he could put up a full section pivot. He gets nothing!!

In 1941, there was a requirement for a combined British/Canadian experimental station for trials in biological and chemical defence. Authorities, in seeking a large area of land as a suitable location for the experimental station, considered sites in various parts of Canada. Finally, the choice rested on Suffield, Alberta.

The Alberta Government was most cooperative in all respects and did everything in its power to facilitate the enterprise. The Canadian Department of National Defence arranged the actual purchase. Much of the land was purchased from the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Hudson's Bay Company at the nominal price of one dollar an acre and those farmers who had to be moved were compensated. Thus, Experimental Station Suffield, with the Canadian Army officially responsible for its administration, commenced operations on 11 June 1941.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Ted is bad news for Alberta. Time for change ...... I’ll vote Wildrose.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:35 PM

My destain still rests with the manner in which he treats everyone in this province.

Even if you support O/S and RAMP how is it that there was absolutely no warning of this before it became reality. LUF is the same thing it is so big and convoluted that it is beyond virtually everyone to even grasp.

I guess this goes with the Calgary School Strausian mentality where they beleive they have all the answers and need not bother the populace at large to determine what is in the publics best interest.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
My destain still rests with the manner in which he treats everyone in this province.

Even if you support O/S and RAMP how is it that there was absolutely no warning of this before it became reality. LUF is the same thing it is so big and convoluted that it is beyond virtually everyone to even grasp.

I guess this goes with the Calgary School Strausian mentality where they beleive they have all the answers and need not bother the populace at large to determine what is in the publics best interest.
There it is again. SOmebody please tell me what this Calgary School thing is. While your at it tell me what Strausian is to.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Thanks SLH thats the official report..

Like I said there are a couple land owners that I have met that claim the settlement in some cases was not full,, but hey like I said doesn't bother me enough to really care..

Like I said these changes are really just a sign of the times,, not saying they are good they certainly aren't beleive me I am all or the power of the people but this poor little province is in a tough spot it really is.. Everybody has their hand out and wants from it,, it must be a nightmare to manage..

Again I am not a Morton supporter by any means I switched cards a while back have been carrying a WRA card for over a year now. But really guys to put the blame for something like this on one man,, surely you guys are smarter than that.. He is the fall guy just the figure head in something like this ,,the guy being told what to do by the party and their money men..

Want to change it ??? change the party plain and simple..
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 PM

I vote NO for morton, and NO for my former p.c. party.

It is funny that half of Honest Ed Stelmach's problems were the new bills that were "fine tuned" by Morton which ended up:
(a) taking away our property rights,
(b) and in those cases of people living along a creek or river or lake with old "flood-channels", many of those people will discover when they sell, or subdivide, or add to their land, that the AB Gov't will take some of their land as well, with no compensation.
(c) none of the p.c. MLA's voted Against the corrupt awarding of a muti-billion dollar
major power-line project to one consortium owned primarily by Lavelin and Atco; (so much for the free-enterprise "lowest-bidder" deserves the work system) !

I agree with most of the great posts on this subject; that we need a change, and hope that the Wildrose Party edges out the "liberals" known as the provincial P.C.'s.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM

Americans have no business in canadian politics. Sure come, stay, enjoy the view but stay out of our politics!!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 AM

I've have not seen anything in print from any of the parties except from P.C. all that I'm shure of is I'm not voting P.C.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
It has absolutely nothing to do with RAMP why I despise the man. It has everything to do with his removing my rights to own land in Alberta.
I think this applies to everyone who farms or ranches as well!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Don't understand this one ???

Don't get me wrong here I am not a Morton supporter at all but how has Morton removed your rights to own land.. Because of him you can't buy land ????
Must not be a land owner. He slid this one under without anyone knowing about it!!! I bet if you owned a piece of land that the government wanted and they told you to move it, you'd be singing a different tune
Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 AM

On Suffield, my Grandmother lived in Little Sweden when they were forcibly removed for the creation of Suffield. They were allowed to take anything they wanted with them, but they were given very little notice, so taking homes and things of that nature were not logistically doable for most. I do believe there was some compensation, but those removed did not seem to in any way feel it was fair or reasonable.

On Bills 19, 36 and 50? My understanding is, to expropriate property, the government used to have to do a needs assessment, showing a need for the land, then pay compensation, and you had at least recourse to the courts if you did not agree with the compensation. Now there is no need for a needs assessment, hence the deal with the power lines which no one can show a need for a tripling in the power transmission in Alberta, and the government tells you what you are getting and that is the end of it. Not exactly the actions of a conservative pro personal rights party.

In contrast the Wildrose wants to property rights into the Alberta Bill of Rights, and then also want to work towards entrenching it into the Canadian Bill of Rights, however Danielle believes that the first step is to get it in place for us, then start working on getting the support of 6 more provinces.

Ted did lots of good things as SRD minister, however he also came out with RAMP. Worse then that, he and every other PC MLA voted to pass these land ownership bills, voted to sink 2 billion into putting CO2 into the ground, CO2 which they are paying companies to artificially make in order to fill their pipeline, they also all voted to centralize our healthcare. The PC's problems didn't start and end with Ed, and those who are there, have went along with all the idea's all along.

Hunters should be very interested in the Wildrose, simply the following policies should at least give hunters a reason to look at them.
Quote:
D. Firearms
13. The Wildrose Alliance supports re-asserting exclusive provincial jurisdiction for regulating the non-criminal use of firearms, as described in the Constitution.
14. The Wildrose Alliance supports aggressively prosecute the illegal use of firearms by criminals without punishing law-abiding citizens.
15. The Wildrose Alliance believes that all Albertans are entitled to the right to appeal confiscation orders and the right to fair and timely compensation when legally-owned firearms are confiscated from law-abiding gun owners.
16. The Wildrose Alliance believes that the provincial government ought to maintain an up-to-date registry of persons determined by police and a provincial court judge to be too dangerous to own and acquire firearms.
There are some limits to what a provincial government can do on behalf of gun owners, however on top of the above approved policies, I've heard a lot of talk about appointing a CFO instead of letting Ottawa pick them, so we can get one that uses the immense power of the CFO office to issue permits etc instead of deny them. I challenge anyone to even find PC policy concerning firearms ownership.

I find it interesting that the couple people on this thread who are not fans of the Wildrose or Danielle make statements without backing them up, yet the commenter's about Morton actually know why they are mad.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
On Bills 19, 36 and 50? My understanding is, to expropriate property, the government used to have to do a needs assessment, showing a need for the land, then pay compensation, and you had at least recourse to the courts if you did not agree with the compensation. Now there is no need for a needs assessment, hence the deal with the power lines which no one can show a need for a tripling in the power transmission in Alberta, and the government tells you what you are getting and that is the end of it. Not exactly the actions of a conservative pro personal rights party.

In contrast the Wildrose wants to property rights into the Alberta Bill of Rights, and then also want to work towards entrenching it into the Canadian Bill of Rights, however Danielle believes that the first step is to get it in place for us, then start working on getting the support of 6 more provinces.
One more thing to note on 36, is that you cannot appeal to the courts when they show up and expropriate your land.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM

Time for a change, and Wildrose is the only way to go! The P.C's lost my vote, when they voted themselves a 15% wage increase.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Owlseye View Post
There it is again. SOmebody please tell me what this Calgary School thing is. While your at it tell me what Strausian is to.
Tom Flanagan, Barry Cooper, Rainier Knopff, David Bercuson and Ted Morton were the professors - Stephen Harper was a student.
Now they are trying to get Sarah Palin to go back to school.

1. "Advice to progressives from the Calgary School"

Sylvia Bashevkin’s plaintive cri de coeur confirmed my belief that conservatives are winning the war of ideas in Canada. The Calgary School of political science—Barry Cooper, Ted Morton, Rainer Knopff and I, along with our historian outrider David Bercuson—did not cause this transformation, but we and our students have played an honourable part in making it happen. Based on our experience, let me offer five helpful hints to “progressive” political scientists who would like to exercise some influence upon public affairs:
1. Learn to write clearly so you can reach the general public. Shake off the influence of academic trends that are so deadly to effective communication. One is postmodernism, with its misguided insistence on using nouns as verbs (“gendered,” “to foreground,” etc., etc., ad nauseam). Another is multiple regression analysis, with its opaque vocabulary, such as “homoscedasticity” (conservatives, of course, prefer “heteroscedasticity”). Read Hemingway and learn to write short declarative sentences. Do it. Now.
2. Tackle controversial topics that people care about. In The Court Party, Knopff and Morton took on judicial activism. Cooper and Bercuson’s Deconfederation undermined the Meech Lake agenda of endless concessions to Quebec. In First Nations? Second Thoughts, I stood up against the juggernaut of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples. All these books were widely discussed in the media and have had some impact on the course of public affairs.
3. Get involved with political parties. If you want to effect change, there is no substitute for getting control of the government, or at least pushing it hard by creating a credible threat to take control. I spent years helping Preston Manning build the Reform party and managing campaigns so Stephen Harper could come to power. Ted Morton got elected to the Alberta legislature, ran for leadership of the Alberta Progressive Conservatives, and is now provincial minister of finance.
4.Encourage your students to get involved in public affairs. Danielle Smith, Alberta’s own wild rose, is the fairest blower of the Calgary School. When she won the leadership of the Wildrose party and made it a contender, she scared Ed Stelmach into appointing Ted Morton finance minister. Maybe she’ll be the next premier. Ezra Levant is putting the fear of God, Jehovah, and Allah into human rights commissions—even as he finds time to defend the tar sands. Ian Brodie was Stephen Harper’s chief of staff in the critical first two years in office. Mark Milke, Marco Navarro, and Mercedes Stephenson are working for think tanks and filling the media with conservative commentary. The students of the Calgary School will be its most long-lasting legacy.
5. Have a long-term plan for world domination. The Calgary School is now grooming Sarah Palin to be the next president of the United States. When that mama grizzly is installed as POTUS, our work will be complete. Until then, we will not cease from mental fight, till we have built a Hayekian Jerusalem in Canada’s green and pleasant land.
Tom Flanagan
University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 PM

Don't see nothing wrong with that
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post

I believe the trouble started when they created a riding for Morton to run in and gave the foot in the door for the bunch he runs with.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Don't see nothing wrong with that
Lolo I was kind of thinking the same thing...
Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

I'd vote for Osama Bin Laden for Premier long before I'd ever vote for any of the so-called Progressive Conservatives in this province. The PC's in Alberta are liberals, nothing more, nothing less. Remember Morton helped Stelmach remove the Alberta Advantage. Very incompetent. None of them should be trusted! Bye, Bye, PC's!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by panwojciech View Post
Ted is bad news for Alberta. Time for change ...... I’ll vote Wildrose.
I agree.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM

Ted Morton resigns as finance minister

Quote:
ctvedmonton.ca

During a news conference in Calgary Thursday afternoon, Premier Ed Stelmach, announced Ted Morton has resigned as the finance minister of Alberta.

Morton expressed his interest to run as Tory leader and premier.

"It is my intention to seek leadership of this party," Morton told reporters in Calgary.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 PM

To think one short election ago everyone on Alberta gave Stelmach, Morton, Lipert and the boys a huge massive majority. My how things change in a hurry. I certainly would not vote Wildrose under any circumstance.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 AM
Rancher_49

Default We need a change !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I think he would make great leader.....of the opposition.Danielle Smith will be the next Premier.
When the PC's raised the Royalties in Jan 09 they cost me a plenty. That's just one screw up out of many.
My next vote goes to Danelle Smith & the Wild Rose......firm!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
To think one short election ago everyone on Alberta gave Stelmach, Morton, Lipert and the boys a huge massive majority. My how things change in a hurry. I certainly would not vote Wildrose under any circumstance.
Those guys got a lot of those votes because there was no real alternative. The Liberals and ND's are not a real alternative for most Albertans.

Any particular reason you would not vote Wildrose?