Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Lightbulb Steve Johnson Range affiliation.

Driving across the city for range time is worse for me than driving to Homestead. I read that Steve Johnson range is open for pistol shooting and rimfire. Website does not list a contact number.
I also heard that joining Fullbore or Buffalo also grants access to SJ while allowing shooting for longer ranges in K Country.

Could anyone provide more information, so I don't have to drive to TSE every time I want to try some shooting? Thanks.

Last edited by eltorro; 01-27-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM

Anybody? Any contacts to these clubs?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltorro View Post
Anybody? Any contacts to these clubs?
As these clubs are a volunteer based operations, you will not find phone numbers. The Websites give the details:
www.albertarifle.com - http://www.albertarifle.com/membership.htm
www.btsa.ca - http://www.btsa.ca/FAQ.htm

Please note that the APRA Range at Homestead is not designed or operated as a "Plinking Range" - at this time you can use the Public Range for casual rifle shooting. We are looking in 2011 for the development of a casual range for both handguns and rifles. This will not be finished till 2012.

Cheers
Joe B.
APRA Pres.

The Groups of the APRA are divided into the following disciplines:

a. Full Bore Target Rifle - Annual Dues: $150.00 Single membership
b. Small Bore Target Rifle Annual Dues: $120.00 Single membership
c. Swiss Service Rifle Annual Dues: $120.00 Single membership
d. Crossbow Annual Dues: $120.00 Single membership
e. Biathlon Annual Dues: $125.00 Single membership
f. Silhouette/Benchrest (ROSEBUD SILHOUETTE & BENCHREST CLUB) Annual Dues: $190.00 Single membership
g. Handgun (Buffalo Target Shooters Association (BTSA) Annual Dues: $150.00 Single membership
h. Military (Calgary Service Rifle Association) Annual Dues: $190.00 Single membership

Family Memberships are available, these discounts vary with each "User Group"

* It should be noted that one cannot just purchase an APRA membership and have access to any of the APRA ranges without first becoming a member of one or more of the disciplines/user group's clubs.*

This is from the the BTSA Website: http://www.btsa.ca/FAQ.htm

How do I sign up for membership in BTSA?

You need to complete our membership application form, and submit it with suitable payment back to us. Read the form carefully to make sure you provide all the necessary information and submit payment in the correct amount and format.

What’s the correct amount?

That depends on a couple of things. Membership dues for BTSA also requires annual membership in the Alberta Provincial Rifle Association (APRA). If you are already a current year member of APRA through another club, you only need to submit the BTSA annual dues (plus any donation you might like to make to support club activities). We also offer individual and family memberships, which carry different rates. The Membership application form explains the fees you'll need to pay to meet your requirements.

What’s the correct format?

BTSA now accepts membership applications electronically as well as by mail. Dues can also be paid via electronic funds/email transfer (EMT), though we continue to accept dues by mail. People applying for new membership in the BTSA must submit their payment via either money order or certified cheque. No exceptions. Renewing members can simply provide a cheque.

I’m really anxious to get shooting/I need this membership so I can buy/transport a restricted firearm. How long will it take until I get my membership card?

Please allow between four and six weeks for receipt of your membership card, but note that we almost always turn things around much, much quicker than that.

Where does BTSA shoot?

The BTSA is a primary user of the Steve Johnson Range (SJR) near Deerfoot Mall in northeast Calgary. This range is operated by the APRA. We also have limited access, for organized events, at the APRA Homestead Range facility in K-Country. BTSA is currently investigating development of its own range at Homestead. Stay tuned.

Where is SJR and what are the hours of operation?

SJR is located near Deerfoot Mall, just off Deerfoot Trail in Northeast Calgary. There’s a map showing the range’s location on the main page of our website. The hours the range is open are defined by the APRA’s SJR Range Officer. Weather plays a role, as the range is outdoor, and organized shoots also mean the range is closed to general access. Check the APRA website, including the calendar on that site, for up to date information.

What firearms are acceptable at SJR?

SJR has 50-metre and 100-metre lanes. Only rimfire shooting is allowed on the 100-metre side. On the 50-metre side, shooters are allowed to use rimfire rifle, handgun (any calibre) and black powder. No centre-fire rifle is allowed. More details are available off the APRA website. (www.albertarifle.com)

If you haven’t yet, make sure you read the Range Safety Rules for SJR. (You acknowledged you read, and agree to abide by, those rules when you submitted your application for membership in BTSA.)

How do I volunteer to help with the BTSA?

Thanks for asking. We always need volunteers for everything from range cleanup day to our Children’s Hospital Foundation Charity Shoot and other events we organize through the year. Send an email to info@btsa.ca stating your interest in volunteering.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 PM

Thank you. I read what was provided on the website. Was hoping that somebody from BTSA will chime in and give me some details about their activities, when the range is open, etc.