Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 AM

its a business if they where true sled dogs killing them when they could not use them any more is about all you can do. they are not house dogs most of them would be as nasty as any wild dog. if any of you ever worked with true sled dogs you wuold know that. I'm not talking about dogs use on weekens for fun. most working sled dogs can hold there own against wolves a house dog is lunch.you do not want these types of dogs around kids,or people that don't under stand the diffrence.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloormat View Post
After doing some online reading and seeing the news tonight, I dont think you can blame the guy who did the shooting all that much. It sounds now like his employer is trying to throw him under the bus and say we didnt tell him to do this.

I figure this is exactly what the owners had in mind, and told the guy to do it as he was the handler and probably brought it down to a matter of do you want to keep your job or not.

I know that shooting the dogs was not an easy thing to do or deal with. I dont doubt that he needs the medical treatment for this and he deserves it. Im interested to hear more from the owners, I bet with some decent questioning the owners will end up being fully responsible for telling this guy to shoot the dogs. All in all if you own the business, i would think something of this caliber is your responsibility to deal with on site and be involved with, bot just tell an employee to thin the heard by 33% and be done with it. I doubt the handler made the decision to purchase a ton more dogs to make a buck, therefore I dont think its fair that it should have been a burden put on his shoulders to deal with.

This is me speculating on what I read and saw on the news, so take it for what its worth.
B.S. If my boss told me to shoot 100 dogs that I had worked with and trained I would kick his azz so hard his grandchildren would feel it.
That puke needs jail time as much as his boss.I`v heard the argument that he needed the job ect. B.S. again. GET ANOTHER JOB!!!!
He was probably only making 10$ an hour anyway.
I have put down a few sick old dogs in my day but wiping out 100 is pure crap.Now he is sponging off the system for WBC money.I`d like a few minutes alone with that ***** and his boss.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM

I can believe the people that are saying the guy that did to shooting is in title to wcb every farmer that raises animals has to put down a few animals at some point & pig farmers of any size do it almost on a daily bases. the guy that did the shooting should be charged for the way he went about shooting the dogs. but the waste of 100 dogs is a shame as half the world eats them and before all you hunters jump down my throat do you realize that bears are distant relatives of the dog.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Very Sad

This is a terrible way to treat man's best friend.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM

I am so disgusted with this story! This is so disturbing and sick! What other stories don't we hear about when it comes to animal abuse! I am surprised that there was so little response to this story on the AOF. I will be contacting my MLA, my MP and Harper's office AGAIN! about animal abuse! I heard on QR 770 that there is vigilante threats now about this story. Maybe the government will actually do something because of this tragic and apalling act.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfin View Post
I am so disgusted with this story! This is so disturbing and sick! What other stories don't we hear about when it comes to animal abuse! I am surprised that there was so little response to this story on the AOF. I will be contacting my MLA, my MP and Harper's office AGAIN! about animal abuse! I heard on QR 770 that there is vigilante threats now about this story. Maybe the government will actually do something because of this tragic and apalling act.
there is to much government B.S. now we don't need more. charge the one that did the maiming of the animals
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 AM

As painful as it is to read Lonnie's posts (lol - just a friendly jab there), I have to agree. Sled dogs very very rarely can be integrated into homes as pets.

I have been around some, but not many. I knew many mushers when I lived up north. They cull their animals regularly, but not to this extent and generally not because they're disposable.

There have been calls for more animal rights legislation for YEARS and, while I'm not a fan of more rules, there has to be something done in light of this. Sad that it would take an event like this to trigger change (IF there's change).

Tragic and sad.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Hmmmmm

This is what bothers me. The owner had these dogs shot In April 2010 just 2 months after the Olympics. Obviously the Owners exit stratigy all along was to kill the dogs.
That I have problems with. SOmetimes the best layed plans go astray, but in this case, he had it planned.

As for the complainer.. You think if he had such a problem with the killing he would have stopped at 10 or 20 or 30 or 80... Come on!!!

Going to be a whirl wind of feces now.

Jamie
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I can believe the people that are saying the guy that did to shooting is in title to wcb every farmer that raises animals has to put down a few animals at some point & pig farmers of any size do it almost on a daily bases. the guy that did the shooting should be charged for the way he went about shooting the dogs. but the waste of 100 dogs is a shame as half the world eats them and before all you hunters jump down my throat do you realize that bears are distant relatives of the dog.
Actually they belong to the pig family
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

lts a plain act of animal cruelty at its finest , cull is not the word , murder is , slaughter is better , shot with a shotgun , dogs screamin , wounded , scared out of their wits , they wernt suffering , no attempt to find homes , l,m sure if they were advertised up in alaska they would have been grabbed up for free.
Owner should get 15 years with no parole , shooter should be sent to a mental ward for the same time.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM

oops! double post.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM

They did have an adoption program set up but it never worked. I caught a bit of an interview with his employer and they should be charged right along with this guy. We never knew,he was a contractor, Ya right,I'll buy that.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Whatever the case, they need to throw the book at both of these clowns. And take the WCB money back from the shooter, with interest.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 AM

And by the way this company is already up and running under another name.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Actually they belong to the pig family
you should recheck that one, they may tast like pork but they are very distant relative of the dog if the belonged to the pig family they would have a hoof.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
you should recheck that one, they may tast like pork but they are very distant relative of the dog if the belonged to the pig family they would have a hoof.

yup very very very distant cousins...

http://www.tolweb.org/Eutheria/15997
Old 02-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Their dogs they can do what they want. No different than a cow or a chicken. What's the difference if they shot them or paid a vet. Only reason people are whining is because there was more than one. Way too many people sticking their noses where they don't belong.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Their dogs they can do what they want. No different than a cow or a chicken. What's the difference if they shot them or paid a vet. Only reason people are whining is because there was more than one. Way too many people sticking their noses where they don't belong.
Actually I believe it's against the law to kill them in a manner which causes undue stress and pain. Having a maimed dog crawl out from a mass grave hours after being injured...I'll wager that's a no no.

The Worksafe BC document told of a dog who had survived being shot in the face: “its eye was hanging off, and it was still running around,”

"It is technically legal to shoot an animal, as long as it dies instantly. That most certainly did not happen in this instance."

Not good. I can't even imagine how black your soul would have to be to do something like that or to think it's ok. I really feel bad for people like that.

If you can't humanely put an animal down then for God's sake hire someone that can. AND I would still think it's despicable for putting down a hundred dogs just because they aren't making you money anymore...or for that matter, acquiring them in the first place, knowing full well they will be surplus after the Olympics.

Every time I hear about this I just get more and more pod.

Last edited by rugatika; 02-01-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM

I check several hunting sites like most here do, on this topic there's the most crying, whining and god help you if you say something that goes against another member with several hundred posts. I've read posts in 3 provinces and 4 states on this, These comments disturb me, especially on a hunting site. It seems quite obvious some people talk but can't walk the talk. IMO
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Default They did suffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
. Like I said atleast they didn't suffer..
Oh but many did suffer. NOt sure what AB news papers say, but in BC it did say many of them suffered a very long and painful death.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Default link to Vancouver Province Newspaper

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Mass...913/story.html

This just makes me sick to read.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 PM

But the point I am getting at is people are jumping all over this including the athourities but to me what makes it more crimanal than any other killings.. I am sure that there are thousands of dogs put down a day in this country by owners that no longer want there dog or pet, or after the thing grew up it didn't fit their needs. They take the animal to the vet and pay a few hundred bucks and the dog is put down. What makes this different ??? if the guy would of payed a vet a couple grand then does that make it allright or legal ??

He payed for the dogs it should be his choice how to have them put down if the need arises.. Like I said atleast they didn't suffer..[/QUOTE]

This is how i see it as well . These Dogs are not pets!
This kind of thing happens all the time. I know deer and elk farms , that have done the same thing, it was a bad business decession, they could not feed them any more. Better to put the animal down than suffer starvation.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
. . . Like I said atleast they didn't suffer..
... Say What?!!!
Walleyes ... either you didn't read the articles or watch any of the news vids posted here on this thread, or you're talking about a completely different story!

As for the two or three posts on this thread that suggest that what happened here is OK, because farmers, other animal owners, and the SPCA do it all the time, just doesn't wash in this case.

Those 100 sled dogs were not humanely killed ... they were, in most cases, slowly mutilated to death by an idiot with a shotgun and a knife.

Some of you folks here need to give your heads a real hard shake!

TF

Last edited by Selkirk; 02-02-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
Oh but many did suffer. NOt sure what AB news papers say, but in BC it did say many of them suffered a very long and painful death.
and that is why I hope that the law nail their hide to the wall. but as far as killing 100 dogs out of 300. not a big deal. one poster said about giving them away in Alaska that would be like trying to sell bad ice cubes to an eskimo. as they were culling so they would be the worst ones they had.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackheart View Post
now they really have put whistler and vancouver "on the map".....and quite the economical spin off's....real classy....and as the show moves on to another city......there is always the clean up after the elephants have been in the ring.
lol!