Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM

The problem is that we are being "legitimately" regulated out of every nit-picking thing that our nanny government can conceive of. Not only that but they attach fines and often jail time to them... for things that harm no one. If a guy wants to wear a vest, let him. If he wants to prepare for doomsday, let him. It won't hurt you one tiny bit. It's about freedom to choose, my friend. Don't lose sight of the way ahead for a wooden nickel laying on the ground.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
The problem is that we are being "legitimately" regulated out of every nit-picking thing that our nanny government can conceive of. Not only that but they attach fines and often jail time to them... for things that harm no one. If a guy wants to wear a vest, let him. If he wants to prepare for doomsday, let him. It won't hurt you one tiny bit. It's about freedom to choose, my friend. Don't lose sight of the way ahead for a wooden nickel laying on the ground.
True but I just can't help but think a lot of folks that see this as too much government control will take an opposite view when a couple guys like these show up on the scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

Personally I don't care.
I have body armour and would only wear it when I need it for work.
It is heavy and hot. With the ceramic plates it is even worse.
It isn't the light stuff that most folks are talking about but I just don't see the need or have the desire personally in my day to day...

Others feel differently and thats their choice.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 PM

We should be allowed to buy them. But my 338 Lapua says they are useleless.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Banned

Cool

dont think I would be using a range that I feel bullet resistant outer wear is needed for a day out at the butts. as vmc posted quite a few rounds have very little problem poking holes. I have heard tell fmj's from a .22 mag and similar high speed small caliber projectile 's work particularly at defeating kevlar below actual plates. have some experience with injuries caused by rounds just catching the edge of armor, can you say buzzsaw. rugita has shown the error in my ways. untill your up to no good (villany). a freeman of good intent can for the most part do and wear whatever he wishes. within the law with some restrictions. all the folks wishing for bullet resistant clothing fill your boots. lol ill give it 4-6 hours before they pass out or throw it away.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 PM

Default Allowing vests.....

This is the second time in the last while I have seen a thread of vests being allowed......in one of the earlier posts Cat said "I don't care for them [semi-autos] but I would defend anyone who wants to use one"...or something like that. This statement is so true! I had said to Rocky7 that I didn't want to post the "trials" I had made with a vest earlier in this post but after reading all that goes back and forth about them.....if you want one go ahead...I would even support you buying one, after all they don't stop as much as you think.
Here are some pictures I took of a vest that was given to me as a gift and I didn't want to be a criminal or register it (I wil NEVER register another long gun again by the way) so I decided to have some fun with it before I hang it in my garage.....enjoy...I hope it helps you decide if it is really worth owning one.

Most shots were from 50yds or less with the exception of the 270win which was 100yds. I have a few other pics at home that are more recent and all I can say is if they can't stop a 45 at 15yds I can't see them much good at shorter distances against most of the guys here on this fourm with what they have "locked up" in their cabinets
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Mekanik im far from trolling. Jus because my opinion differs from yours doesnt mean someone is trolling.
No, the inflammatory language and name calling points us in that direction. It has nothing to do with your opinion, just how you choose to express it.

Quote:
And absolutely i will scoff at people that buy bloody body armour. Lol. Are you kidding me? Owning armour is on the same level as doomsday preppers. Did any of you guys not see the thread from a few weeks ago with the "club" of guys wanting to shoot live rounds at eachother? Thats exactly why it should be regulated.
Those wonderful individuals were outted as fakes and banned for obvious foolishness.

Quote:
Again, if your Profession dictates it to be useful then great. Go ahead and Buy armour....through responsible regulation. Im all for protesting the things that legitimately shouldnt be regulated, but
Im sorry, body armour isnt one of them.
Once again, you fail to mention on any sort of realistic, logical argument as to WHY this item needs to be regulated. Is this a dangerous item? Will it cause a child to be injured? To die? Are you scared of a guy being seduced into a crime spree because he believes he's invincible in his body armor like those individuals mentioned earlier in your post? Or does it simply strike you as something you simply do not care to use or have an option to own in your life so simply strip others of their right to make a decision in their own lives?

Quote:
If you towed vehicles and felt the need to wear armour while on the job, that would be exactly what i said is a fair use of the product.
Unfortunately, with someone deciding what I may or may not be jusitifed in using it for, a legitimate user may be denied or made into a criminal by some burecratic snafu. To be honest, it's not that far of a stretch. Canada has open carry laws for different reasons such as animal dispatch for trappers, etc. This is a legitimate carry reason yet many get denied by CFOs despite Canadian laws allowing the petitioner to do so. It's not hard to believe that the same situation would begin to occur once the burecrats get their hooks into the process.

Quote:
I personally dont believe owning armour just for the sake of owning it isnormal. Are your kids bubble kids too? Do you sit around your log Cabin in the back woods with weibo and tell your families about the "dangerous urban metropolis criminals"? And How only the prepared survive a dangerous trip to safeway in edmontons North end? Gimme a break man.
And we end with a personal attack that has no relevance to the argument at hand. It's not even worth my time refuting. May I suggust actually dealing with the issue at hands as reasonable adults? Name calling and suppositions as to how I choose to live my life with no foundation as an effort to draw attention away from dealing with any rational argument show that you do not grasp the discussion at hand.

The core of this argument has nothing to do with myself or anyone deciding that we "need" or "want" to wander around all day, every day wearing kevlar. Not really something that goes with my wardrobe, personally. The crux of the argument is that this is an item that does no harm, does not encourage crime, and has no need of regulation. This is another attempt on the behest of the social engineers to make choices for all of us based off of a fantasy that this item will somehow manage to influence otherwise law-abiding citizens into becoming criminals. This is the same thought that brought us prohibition and many other well intentioned programs designed to move us all towards a perfect, safe, society where we're all magically taken care of.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackdown View Post
I have a few other pics at home that are more recent and all I can say is if they can't stop a 45 at 15yds I can't see them much good at shorter distances against most of the guys here on this fourm with what they have "locked up" in their cabinets
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
as vmc posted quite a few rounds have very little problem poking holes. I have heard tell fmj's from a .22 mag and similar high speed small caliber projectile 's work particularly at defeating kevlar below actual plates. have some experience with injuries caused by rounds just catching the edge of armor, can you say buzzsaw. ... all the folks wishing for bullet resistant clothing fill your boots. lol ill give it 4-6 hours before they pass out or throw it away.
Excellent points. I do believe there's quite a few myths about body armor that has most people believing that they magically protect a wearer from any harm. I also believe that this has to do with the use of body armor in movies where the hero takes two or three rounds and goes on to win the day.

If this were true, why do we have soldiers and police dying from bullet wounds? They minimize the trauma for the most part, not eliminate it.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.