Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2020, 12:33 PM

Default Hunting WMU 350

Hey all,

I have never been up to 350 before. I like walking, cuts or through the woods, all good with me. Looking for white tails. Hoping for advice on checking out the North vs. South in 350.

Anything helps, cheers.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:19 PM

If you like logging trucks, oil and gas trucks, truck hunters, bears, wolves, and spending time in the woods then your gonna love 350! Best of luck. Seems all the 350-355 zones are getting worse and worse.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:54 PM

There's a few whitetail in there. Maybe try hitting the other side of 33, that'll be WMU 351, I've seen more whitetail in there but I've also spent more time in there than 350. Lots of cutblocks & cutlines. You can go through woods and then hit some cuts and then back to woods all within the same walk.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:39 PM

350 is a big WMU. A lot of nice country to see between Ft.Assiniboine and Slave Lake. Every year more I see Whitetails than there used to be.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCS10 View Post
350 is a big WMU. A lot of nice country to see between Ft.Assiniboine and Slave Lake. Every year more I see Whitetails than there used to be.
This, if you know how to hunt effectively between the trails there are plenty of mature deer, and you will not be bothered by other hunters. Getting logged off fast, but due to the topography and amount of un-tracked timber its one of my favorite zones for hunting deer. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:16 PM

Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated. I am looking into House and Deer Mountains, I'll let you all know how it goes. Be up there end of September.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
This, if you know how to hunt effectively between the trails there are plenty of mature deer, and you will not be bothered by other hunters. Getting logged off fast, but due to the topography and amount of un-tracked timber its one of my favorite zones for hunting deer. Enjoy it while you can.
Would you typically be starting in the North of the unit and heading down South then working the woods and cuts West, or starting in the South? Trying to figure out which area to set up camp. Options are Slave Lake or Swan Hills.

I've read "This is bush hunting. Wife's buck, story, tips." Really helpful stuff.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk-In-Pack-Out View Post
Would you typically be starting in the North of the unit and heading down South then working the woods and cuts West, or starting in the South? Trying to figure out which area to set up camp. Options are Slave Lake or Swan Hills.

I've read "This is bush hunting. Wife's buck, story, tips." Really helpful stuff.

Depends on what you mean by setting up camp. If you are back off the main road and not easily visible from truck access, as in set up down a cutline out of view, won't matter where you set up. If you are using trailers and aren't leaving someone in camp during the day, I would locate closer to Swan Hills. Slave Lake and area has a real problem with theft from parked vehicles, trailers etc.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Depends on what you mean by setting up camp. If you are back off the main road and not easily visible from truck access, as in set up down a cutline out of view, won't matter where you set up. If you are using trailers and aren't leaving someone in camp during the day, I would locate closer to Swan Hills. Slave Lake and area has a real problem with theft from parked vehicles, trailers etc.
Good to know, thanks for the info.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Any place is good, so long as its not flat. I try to spend most of the day on game trails, if you're hunting a man made trail the best you can hope for is to get lucky and catch one crossing. Pay attention to the topography and what the thermals are doing to try to predict game movement, match your own movements to theirs. Other than that its just a game of tracks... the ones you make and the ones you find.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:18 PM

Appreciate the advice. Good luck on your end, I'll let you know how things go on mine.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:27 PM

Default Has anybody hunted moose in WMU 350

Hey, just wondering if anybody has done any moose hunting in 350?
Ma and a buddy are planning on putting in for it this year (wem have 5 year priority now)... probably follow up with some scouting this summer.

Just looking for recommendations on how to approach this... also would like to be sure this place isnt "over harvested" by the native hunters too.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMurray View Post
Hey, just wondering if anybody has done any moose hunting in 350?
Ma and a buddy are planning on putting in for it this year (wem have 5 year priority now)... probably follow up with some scouting this summer.

Just looking for recommendations on how to approach this... also would like to be sure this place isnt "over harvested" by the native hunters too.
Just follow the wolf tracks. Best way to find a moose around there, or what’s left of one.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated. I am looking into House and Deer Mountains, I'll let you all know how it goes. Be up there end of September.
It will be an absolute mess in there. The burn went right through both of those areas , the trees are already falling due to the roots being exposed. It burnt hot throughout that area.

Tags
cut lines, deer mountain, slave lake, swan hills