Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 AM

Default Winchester Collector Value

A hundred years ago when I was a kid, Winchester was punching out 'fancy grade comemorative rifles' for darn near everything. Do you remember those? A Chief Sitting Bull Rifle in 94 lever gun. Another for the completion of the CP Railroad, one for John Wayne, another for the Klondike Gold Rush, etc. etc. Most of them were the same old outhouse lever rifles that Winchester had made for the last century with some minor enhancements like better grades of wood, some minor embellishment and maybe some engraved scrollwork. Soon Winchester had made so many comemorative rifles that most lost their value. (There is probably even a Rusty P. Bucket Comemorative Winchester Model 94!). They were all chambered in 30-30 for the most part and were just warmed over 94's.

Some of these rifles ARE worth money though, and truly retain some valid collector interest. I understand that the RCMP comemorative rifle might be worth money and possibly a few others.

My boss is hunting with a Canadian Centennial rifle that has an octagonal barrel, the crescent buttplate and a few other touches. Can any of you fellas remember whether or not this was one of the truly 'collectable' rifles?

I wonder if he should be shooting it and abusing it like an ordinary hunting rifle...