Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 AM

Default mosquito larvicide

We have water where we never have had before, and the mosquitos are coming. Hard. Wondering if anybody has tips, and if they can tell me where to get some larvicide.

this is standing ground water, not trapped in man made objects...
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Us too. But we would like something that doesn't kill dragonflys. Once they are up and running in 3 weeks they can keep the skeeters under control but right now - OMG!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM

The areas I'm talking about haven't had water in 10 years. Do dragonfly eggs last like Mosquitos?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Goldfish or minnows?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Goldfish or minnows?
Or tadpoles!

This should work as well:
Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Or tadpoles!

This should work as well:
Sounds like this could be the ticket!

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bt...ks-pr-323.html

LC
Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM

These guys are talking about rain barrels! I talking about acres and acres of ponds!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM

I'm not quite talking acres, but I do have a bunch of smaller "ponds" that will dry up, but not before they hatch bazillions of little bloodsuckers...
Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Sorry to "warm up" an old thread.
Did anybody try those mosquito dunks? Do they work?
Really save for pets?

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
These guys are talking about rain barrels! I talking about acres and acres of ponds!
Mosquitos and dragonflies don't inhabit the same waters. Ponds do not contain Mosquitos.

Mosquito habitat is intermittent flooded areas like ditches. Some ponds may have some intermittent water around the edges. Intermittent sloughs or very shallow intermittent marches can also hold mosquito larvae.

Mosquitoes lay eggs just above the water line. Eggs can be viable for a very long time. During large rain events...multiple egg generations can hatch at once.

If you have limited water away from pets a home remedy is just enough canola oil to leave a nice film. The larvae can't push their breathing tube up to get air and suffocate.

Permanent water contains too many natural predators. Don't waste the larvacide on the wrong water.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Look for products with BTI in the listing.This will attack most mosquitoes ,but only mosquitoes and some black flys.Bti produces toxins which are effective in killing various species of mosquitoes Commercial formulations include "Mosquito Dunks"/"Mosquito Bits". It is also available in bulk liquid or granular formulations for commercial and public agency use.Check with your County Field Man for advice and sources.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 AM

Smile Mosquito magnet

I bought one a few months ago, and never set it up, because I didn't think it would work, was I wrong.

It attracts the females and puts then all in a little screened box. Switch boxes and let the sun dry out the bugs. Repeat as necessary.

It knocks the heck out of the population with the females gone. Hard to believe but it works better than anything I have ever tried.

It can run on a battery but a plug in and a propane bottle and you are in business.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Mosquitos and dragonflies don't inhabit the same waters. Ponds do not contain Mosquitos.

Mosquito habitat is intermittent flooded areas like ditches. Some ponds may have some intermittent water around the edges. Intermittent sloughs or very shallow intermittent marches can also hold mosquito larvae.

Mosquitoes lay eggs just above the water line. Eggs can be viable for a very long time. During large rain events...multiple egg generations can hatch at once.

If you have limited water away from pets a home remedy is just enough canola oil to leave a nice film. The larvae can't push their breathing tube up to get air and suffocate.

Permanent water contains too many natural predators. Don't waste the larvacide on the wrong water.
That's great info. Thanks! We do have some standing water around that are not ponds. Do you spray canola oil on it? How much do I need? Is that going to be a problem for other insects, birds etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromcanmore View Post
Look for products with BTI in the listing.This will attack most mosquitoes ,but only mosquitoes and some black flys.Bti produces toxins which are effective in killing various species of mosquitoes Commercial formulations include "Mosquito Dunks"/"Mosquito Bits". It is also available in bulk liquid or granular formulations for commercial and public agency use.Check with your County Field Man for advice and sources.
Does it really work? I saw the dunks but wasn't sure if they work. We tried the garlic spray this year and it didn't work at all! We also tried the Mozi-Q pills and again it doesn't help at all.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
That's great info. Thanks! We do have some standing water around that are not ponds. Do you spray canola oil on it? How much do I need? Is that going to be a problem for other insects, birds etc?

Does it really work? I saw the dunks but wasn't sure if they work. We tried the garlic spray this year and it didn't work at all! We also tried the Mozi-Q pills and again it doesn't help at all.
Do your own test by putting some larvae in a bowl with a few drops of canola. Generally you want a healthy sheen. Just enough they can't break the surface tension.

Sneak up on the water. You should see the larvae drop to the bottom. Pour some oil there.

It can smell as the oil degrades so don't let dogs run into it.

Not great for large area but buy bulk cooking oil and give it a try.

I should warn you that it will likely do little good as mosquitoes can move in from nearby area. You should just consider an adult mosquito trap.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin