Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Banned

Default High Paying Camp/Oil Sand jobs WITH Degree/school

Hey Everyone!

I'm a 17 year old student from Kelowna, with my last year of high school. I'm currently stuck in a weird situation job wise. I wanted to be a Power Engineer until my dads friend pointed out some good things why I shouldn't become one. Instead he said at the camps he goes to up North the Electricians make $150K (with experience obvs). So now I'm edging towards that but I'm still open to look.

Does anyone know of any low labour jobs with schooling to be making some good coin?

Means alot!
-M
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Low labour? Ummm. No.

I work up north in the camps. 150/yr is possible - prolly need a bit of OT though. If you work directly for one of the big companies, wages often $55/hr or better. If you work for a contractor, $10 to $15 less. The job goes from work your ass of to wear your ass off. You don't know which it will be. If you can't work your ass off when the time comes...
Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 PM

Being Green... you are going to make much less. If you have already started your PE training keep it up. They are in need up there and that piece of paper will help you along. If you want to be a PE that is a good way to go, especially if you have the drive to work your way up to a 2nd class or better. THEN you will be making the 150k+ per year up there. If you are already working on your 4th class apply with some of the big companies up there, (Suncor and Syncrude) they make pick you up while you are doing schooling.
I work in the oilpatch, I make very good money, but I have also been doing it since 1998 when I moved here from BC.
If you come out here green, with nothing but your safety tickets and a high school diploma do not expect to make big money. You will start at the bottom and work your way up.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Low labour? Ummm. No.

I work up north in the camps. 150/yr is possible - prolly need a bit of OT though. If you work directly for one of the big companies, wages often $55/hr or better. If you work for a contractor, $10 to $15 less. The job goes from work your ass of to wear your ass off. You don't know which it will be. If you can't work your ass off when the time comes...
Thanks for the reply!

Well I mean "low labour" as in not being some roughneck on a rig at -40 degrees, VS working in a camp doing some trade indoors haha.

It's so hard to find anything, whenever I search everything is always "High paying jobs WITHOUT degree" and there is no info on high paying jobs WITH degrees.

I mean I'm still open to suggestions just sort of want a job thats flexible and rewarding salary wise

Thanks Again
Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
Being Green... you are going to make much less. If you have already started your PE training keep it up. They are in need up there and that piece of paper will help you along. If you want to be a PE that is a good way to go, especially if you have the drive to work your way up to a 2nd class or better. THEN you will be making the 150k+ per year up there. If you are already working on your 4th class apply with some of the big companies up there, (Suncor and Syncrude) they make pick you up while you are doing schooling.
I work in the oilpatch, I make very good money, but I have also been doing it since 1998 when I moved here from BC.
If you come out here green, with nothing but your safety tickets and a high school diploma do not expect to make big money. You will start at the bottom and work your way up.
Haven't started PE courses because I still have another few months before I finish highschool, I've taken all academic courses physics, chem, pre-calc so I don't want that time studying to go to waste. I'm wanting to get a trade or become a tech or w/e. Just something like a PE where you can upgrade and after a few years make 150+ with OT.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM

if your looking for a high paying oilfield job with a degree, a 4 year engineering degree (mechanical, chemical or petroleum) is the way to go. if your looking for a trade/technical route, power engineering or a technologist (mechanical, chemical, petroleum) is another 2 year route.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Your might have a little trouble at 17.

At one time your folks could sign a consent slip to work at age 16-18.

I don't know the legalities now of being under 18 and working oilfield.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 PM

Well if your too good to roughneck, or be a Welder a helper or pull cable, or any grunt work , your not going yo get any sympathy from half the boys on AO. Green hands get paid from the neck down. Put in your time and you will be fine
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Banned

Go to school.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Go to school.
X2

Why just work. Get certified or ticketed and own this province.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick29 View Post
Well if your too good to roughneck, or be a Welder a helper or pull cable, or any grunt work , your not going yo get any sympathy from half the boys on AO. Green hands get paid from the neck down. Put in your time and you will be fine
I'm just on this forum to ask if anyone works or has talked with people that WENT to school before heading up north. I'm not looking for sympathy, I work hard in school and I don't take the bare minimum route. In comparison to the lazy kids I'm pretty sure I'd rather not do the grunt work, not willing to study my nights away to work with a shovel until im 30. People getting butthurt because they smoked their dope during highschool while the others were working hard.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty521521 View Post
I'm just on this forum to ask if anyone works or has talked with people that WENT to school before heading up north. I'm not looking for sympathy, I work hard in school and I don't take the bare minimum route. In comparison to the lazy kids I'm pretty sure I'd rather not do the grunt work, not willing to study my nights away to work with a shovel until im 30. People getting butthurt because they smoked their dope during highschool while the others were working hard.
Listen kid, I see kids come up north thinking they know what hard work is, about 2 in 10 actually know what hard work is. I think you need to put in the time and the effort to succeed up here. Don't come north of your not willing to put in the time on the end of a spade. We get kids up here and as the new guy you do all the tasks no one else wants to do, do that without complaining and the world will open up. Just my view.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Hey Everyone!

I'm a 17 year old student from Kelowna, with my last year of high school. I'm currently stuck in a weird situation job wise. I wanted to be a Power Engineer until my dads friend pointed out some good things why I shouldn't become one. Instead he said at the camps he goes to up North the Electricians make $150K (with experience obvs). So now I'm edging towards that but I'm still open to look.

Does anyone know of any low labour jobs with schooling to be making some good coin?

Means alot!
-M
What are your high school grades, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
Listen kid, I see kids come up north thinking they know what hard work is, about 2 in 10 actually know what hard work is. I think you need to put in the time and the effort to succeed up here. Don't come north of your not willing to put in the time on the end of a spade. We get kids up here and as the new guy you do all the tasks no one else wants to do, do that without complaining and the world will open up. Just my view.
I went through too much to work with a spade, I can't work with some dickweed that skipped 3/4 highschool and just passed and be viewed on the same level, and again the topic says "WITH SCHOOL". Thanks for your view though.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Wow... You should just drop out of school now while you still know everything and not have to work hard until you are of the ancient age of 30.

My nephew moved here from BC at the age of 17. He decided there was no future for him there and he was working as a bag boy at Safeway for $6 an hour.
Got a job in the oilfield doing all the crappy labour intensive jobs (grunt work).
Stuck it out and moved up the ladder.
He is now 30 years old and has a pretty nice house paid off, buys a new truck every two years, is home about as much as he is at work and has well over a million in the bank and in investments.

But hey... you feel you are above doing the hard work.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
What are your high school grades, if you don't mind me asking?
Chem 11 85%
physics 11 77%
Pre-Calculus 11 80%

Chem 12 (currently taking)
Physics 12 (currently taking)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I went through too much to work with a spade, I can't work with some dickweed that skipped 3/4 highschool and just passed and be viewed on the same level, and again the topic says "WITH SCHOOL". Thanks for your view though.
I have some school learning too, but you need to earn respect up here, with your tude you'll be home tugging on moms apron springs within. A week
Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Wow... You should just drop out of school now while you still know everything and not have to work hard until you are of the ancient age of 30.

My nephew moved here from BC at the age of 17. He decided there was no future for him there and he was working as a bag boy at Safeway for $6 an hour.
Got a job in the oilfield doing all the crappy labour intensive jobs (grunt work).
Stuck it out and moved up the ladder.
He is now 30 years old and has a pretty nice house paid off, buys a new truck every two years, is home about as much as he is at work and has well over a million in the bank and in investments.

But hey... you feel you are above doing the hard work.
Exactly why I'm going to Alberta, was looking at SAIT but not sure what field. Can't really do intensive labour, hurt myself in a car crash 3 years ago. Sometimes people have their personal reasons right?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
I have some school learning too, but you need to earn respect up here, with your tude you'll be home tugging on moms apron springs within. A week
x2.

cant expect to make the big bucks with out putting time into an actual job, no school will teach you on the job experience and that is what you need, it only takes a few years of hard work to move up.

so many kids these days think 150k a year is a real thing RIGHT off the start, its rare. time and exp is what gives you the 150k a year
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
You are not going to fit in at all out here in the oilfield.

Look for something where you are at and have personal connections.

Unless your dad or your future father in law is a "higher up" out here, if that is the case the worlds your oyster.

Edit: did not see the post stating your physical impairment. But to state at 17 you have been through to much to work alongside a "dickweed" shows a very real absence of real life experience, common sense, and respect for others.

Last edited by IR_mike; 01-05-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Chem 11 85%
physics 11 77%
Pre-Calculus 11 80%

Chem 12 (currently taking)
Physics 12 (currently taking)
Sounds like your grades are close to being high enough to take the university route. Get yourself up to around 85% in chem, physics, calculus, social, and English, and you'd have a good shot of getting into an engineering program at U of A or U of C.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
You are not going to fit in at all out here in the oilfield.

Look for something where you are at and have personal connections.

Unless your dad your future father in law is a "higher up" out here, if that is the case the worlds your oyster.
If I was looking for a job with personal connections I would still be living in Eastern Europe lol.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Sounds like your grades are close to being high enough to take the university route. Get yourself up to around 85% in chem, physics, calculus, social, and English, and you'd have a good shot of getting into an engineering program at U of A or U of C.
X2.

I did what the op here done, went to work from high school and worked my way up the ladder. A good buddy of mine went to university for a coupe years and became a civil engineer, he's now in mcmurray with his own truck, company ad making 200 a year.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
If I was looking for a job with personal connections I would still be living in Eastern Europe lol.
Dos vadyna!!

If that is spelt correctly.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:

With an attitude like that you might want to become good friends with a dentist.if you plan on going up to FT.MAC because guys who have stuck it out in the minus 40's are not going to put up with attitude like that just a heads up you might want to change your tune.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 PM

The guy is 17, give him the benefit of the doubt that he worded what he was trying to say incorrectly. There's nothing wrong with trying to aspire to not have to work a laborious job, but you can never look down upon someone who does. You may be overqualified to do some things in life but you are never too good.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
X2.

I did what the op here done, went to work from high school and worked my way up the ladder. A good buddy of mine went to university for a coupe years and became a civil engineer, he's now in mcmurray with his own truck, company ad making 200 a year.
Yup those guys are few and far between. All my buddies are in the 250 k range, 7 and 7 and. Can live wherever they want, but they all put in their time.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 PM

Does anyone remember BMW? To bring you up to speed Matty, he was another guy who came here looking for advice on the oilfield and his expectations.

The point is; you aren't alone.

There have been thousands before you, just like you.

Several oil patch men have given you advice here, and you argue or ignore it.

Perhaps you should show up and see for yourself.

If you can.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Exactly why I'm going to Alberta, was looking at SAIT but not sure what field. Can't really do intensive labour, hurt myself in a car crash 3 years ago. Sometimes people have their personal reasons right?
Hey, nothing wrong with wanting a better life for yourself and if you have an injury that prevents you from doing hard labour, the oilfield is not the area for you without extensive education and experience.

Alberta is not a Province that hands out money to everyone because we have so much of it despite what the rest of the country thinks.

You gotta earn it. If you can't earn it with your back, you gotta earn it with your brain.

If you don't wanna use your back then there are a lot of better ways to earn it with your brain.

There is no easy way to get rich.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257wbyhunter View Post
With an attitude like that you might want to become good friends with a dentist.if you plan on going up to FT.MAC because guys who have stuck it out in the minus 40's are not going to put up with attitude like that just a heads up you might want to change your tune.

....see and here I was going to suggest he get into a safety hand position...
Little actual effort required
No related field experience either
Every day is a contest to see who can keep there boots/clothing the cleanest
...he would have learnt the hard way the first time he beaked off at the wrong guy on the wrong day.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not