Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Hey, nothing wrong with wanting a better life for yourself and if you have an injury that prevents you from doing hard labour, the oilfield is not the area for you without extensive education and experience.

Alberta is not a Province that hands out money to everyone because we have so much of it despite what the rest of the country thinks.

You gotta earn it. If you can't earn it with your back, you gotta earn it with your brain.

If you don't wanna use your back then there are a lot of better ways to earn it with your brain.

There is no easy way to get rich.
True dat!!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257wbyhunter View Post
With an attitude like that you might want to become good friends with a dentist.if you plan on going up to FT.MAC because guys who have stuck it out in the minus 40's are not going to put up with attitude like that just a heads up you might want to change your tune.
I mean I guess it does suck when you realize it's too late to go back. Still don't understand why grown adults can't accept the fact they've made a mistake. Just because someone went through school, sits in a heated room & makes your salary or even x2 yours doesn't mean you should hate them!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
....see and here I was going to suggest he get into a safety hand position...
Little actual effort required
No related field experience either
Every day is a contest to see who can keep there boots/clothing the cleanest
...he would have learnt the hard way the first time he beaked off at the wrong guy on the wrong day.
Awesome I'll look into it, thanks!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Sounds like your grades are close to being high enough to take the university route. Get yourself up to around 85% in chem, physics, calculus, social, and English, and you'd have a good shot of getting into an engineering program at U of A or U of C.
Yes, sounds more like you should be an engineer. You have the attitude portion down pat!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey, nothing wrong with wanting a better life for yourself and if you have an injury that prevents you from doing hard labour, the oilfield is not the area for you without extensive education and experience.

Alberta is not a Province that hands out money to everyone because we have so much of it despite what the rest of the country thinks.

You gotta earn it. If you can't earn it with your back, you gotta earn it with your brain.

If you don't wanna use your back then there are a lot of better ways to earn it with your brain.

There is no easy way to get rich.

YES PERFECT, with the brain. Now what are some of those jobs? I can't seem to find anything rather then accountants and other stuff in that field.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
Yes, sounds more like you should be an engineer. You have the attitude portion down pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty521521 View Post
I mean I guess it does suck when you realize it's too late to go back. Still don't understand why grown adults can't accept the fact they've made a mistake. Just because someone went through school, sits in a heated room & makes your salary or even x2 yours doesn't mean you should hate them!

Good luck in the real world kid that's all I can say you will have to learn the rest on your own.

Quote:
YES PERFECT, with the brain. Now what are some of those jobs? I can't seem to find anything rather then accountants and other stuff in that field.
Any engineering job, business, law, actuarial, etc.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Any engineering job, business, law, actuarial, etc.
Thanks a bunch, I'll be searching these topics!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I truly hope we never meet, I already deal with more then enough of guys like you. I do wish you good luck, your young but you need some guidance!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Seriously man? You want I should tuck you into bed and make your breakfast too?

You are a long way from the real world and it's gonna be a shock when you get into it.

No one is gonna hand you all the answers and a pile of cash.

Did you seriously just say that the only thing you could think of that uses the brain to make money is being an accountant?

You better stick to labour boy, because you don't seem to have the smarts for anything else.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Hey, I never finished school, and I don't think I made ANY mistakes, I just took a different trail than those that wanted to finish school.
I have two trade tickets and 40 years of heavy industrial experience under my belt.
I've helped quite few young fellas get their start in life and have seen many with good grades that couldn't handle a hard day's work as well, and believe me, it can be hard in the industrial maintenance and construction fields no matter WHAT trade you decide to get into.
I'm not sure why that fella told you not to go into stationary engineering, I know a few that have and they love it.

Process operators as well can make a great living, pipe liners, equipment operators, carpenters, etc.
the thing is, they ALL work outside in all types of weather and are dammed PROUD to make a living the way they do.
It is not how much schooling you have , or how tough you are, it is how well you do your job and the pride that you have when you do it.
if you don't like your job, it doesn't matter how much money you make you will be miserable.

Oh, and the bit of advice given you by the "tough guys"in the previous posts?
Better take that to heart, because NONE of us like to be put down, especially by someone who thinks they are better because they went to school!
Cat
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Seriously man? You want I should tuck you into bed and make your breakfast too?

You are a long way from the real world and it's gonna be a shock when you get into it.

No one is gonna hand you all the answers and a pile of cash.

Did you seriously just say that the only thing you could think of that uses the brain to make money is being an accountant?

You better stick to labour boy, because you don't seem to have the smarts for anything else.
According to the websites i've been on yeah, jobs in the financial sector. Common you cheesebrain I'm from small town BC not Fort Mac oil heaven, mind giving a teenager a hand?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Hey, I never finished school, and I don't think I made ANY mistakes, I just took a different trail than those that wanted to finish school.
I have two trade tickets and 40 years of heavy industrial experience under my belt.
I've helped quite few young fellas get their start in life and have seen many with good grades that couldn't handle a hard day's work as well, and believe me, it can be hard in the industrial maintenance and construction fields no matter WHAT trade you decide to get into.
I'm not sure why that fella told you not to go into stationary engineering, I know a few that have and they love it.

Process operators as well can make a great living, pipe liners, equipment operators, carpenters, etc.
the thing is, they ALL work outside in all types of weather and are dammed PROUD to make a living the way they do.
It is not how much schooling you have , or how tough you are, it is how well you do your job and the pride that you have when you do it.
if you don't like your job, it doesn't matter how much money you make you will be miserable.

Oh, and the bit of advice given you by the "tough guys"in the previous posts?
Better take that to heart, because NONE of us like to be put down, especially by someone who thinks they are better because they went to school!
Cat
Wise words.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 PM

Life will never be easier for you than it is now. You will either pay for it now with working hard in school or pay for it later with regret. Don't try working full time and picking up a degree in your spare time unless it's a masters or one of your successive tickets.

There is an unspoken ceiling for people without an education. Unskilled jobs can and will be filled by anyone willing to work hard. Many countries/provinces do not have the opportunities we have so there will be an influx of people to fill those positions and it's happening already.

Your education will differentiate you so if you have an education and have a good work ethic (displayed in your marks) then stay on that path. Don't underestimate where hard work will get you as long as you apply it everywhere in your life. A quick dollar and slacking in high school has let to a lot of people that will pump your gas one day once they hurt their back, etc.

Education is never wasted. To many a degree is an indication that you can learn even if you do not end up working in your field.

Success in life has to be paid for one way or the other. If you do not want to do the school route then you better be willing to make up for it in hard work as indicated by many others.

Last edited by Rdamours; 01-05-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
....see and here I was going to suggest he get into a safety hand position...
Little actual effort required
No related field experience either
Every day is a contest to see who can keep there boots/clothing the cleanest
...he would have learnt the hard way the first time he beaked off at the wrong guy on the wrong day.

He couldn't even do that...needs three years experience before he could even take the safety officer course...that would put him at 21ish and I know a few guys that sure won't listen to a 21 year old unless he new damn well what he was talking about...I started out on the end of a shovel and now I'm running a brand new hoe...I make killer$$$$$ but I busted my freakin ass off to get where i am...and before you say it's cause I never did well in school, I went to law school but after the third year I decided it was not for me....

My advice to you kid is give the respect to the guys that busted their asses off to get what they have and never say your to good for the grunt work....cause one day you will run your mouth off to the wrong guy and he will plant you!!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezner View Post
He couldn't even do that...needs three years experience before he could even take the safety officer course...that would put him at 21ish and I know a few guys that sure won't listen to a 21 year old unless he new damn well what he was talking about...I started out on the end of a shovel and now I'm running a brand new hoe...I make killer$$$$$ but I busted my freakin ass off to get where i am...and before you say it's cause I never did well in school, I went to law school but after the third year I decided it was not for me....

My advice to you kid is give the respect to the guys that busted their asses off to get what they have and never say your to good for the grunt work....cause one day you will run your mouth off to the wrong guy and he will plant you!!
Since you went to Law school you should know the resultant of someone planting you in modern day society lol.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
Life will never be easier for you than it is now. You will either pay for it now with working hard in school or pay for it later with regret. Don't try working full time and picking up a degree in your spare time unless it's a masters or one of your successive tickets
Totally disagree with this. Had I took advice such ad this I never would have got my 4th and 3rd class power engineering. There are safety courses that are done by correspondence that can lead to a lucrative career as well. Never stop learning!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 PM

I did the after work night classes route, it's worked out well for me, but I never walk by anybody and not offer them a hand no matter what they are doing. On my Site we are one big family and we bring something to the table, no matter what we do. The patch is a small world, remember that!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Since you went to Law school you should know the resultant of someone planting you in modern day society lol.
My bad about saying you should be a engineer. Definitely a welder tough guy!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Banned

Do the Apprenticeship Entrance Exam for Carpentry and join the Carpenters Union. You will get Dual Ticketed (Apprentice Carpenter & Scaffolder trade) as soon as your in the Carpenters Union take the ITT Course for your tickets through the Alberta Carpenters Training Centre (Edmonton or Calgary) there Crying for Scaffolders up north (Shell; Suncor; Syncrude; Nexen) lots of O.T 14 on 7 off are the good ones. I have friends that went on some pretty good trips around the world that went to work up north (costa Rica, thailand; Mexaco; Rio). You will make close to $4000 in 14 days.... flights are paid for to go work up north at camp jobs.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:56 PM

We are both right. You picked up your 4th and 3rd class power engineering while working and that is no easy task. I'm saying he should try to keep his education going while on his parents dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Totally disagree with this. Had I took advice such ad this I never would have got my 4th and 3rd class power engineering. There are safety courses that are done by correspondence that can lead to a lucrative career as well. Never stop learning!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
We are both right. You picked up your 4th and 3rd power engineering while working and that is no easy task. I'm saying he should try to keep his education going while on his parents dime.
Good point, obviously I missed it, if I were to do it again I would take the 2 year tech program at Nait instead of on my own.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
x2.

cant expect to make the big bucks with out putting time into an actual job, no school will teach you on the job experience and that is what you need, it only takes a few years of hard work to move up.

so many kids these days think 150k a year is a real thing RIGHT off the start, its rare. time and exp is what gives you the 150k a year
Lots of youngsters have to learn the hard way. There are thousands with good marks in school, there are thousands that think they are really clever too.
Then reality hits. Your marks are okay but not out of this world, you aren't too good to get on the goon spoon, and there are so many more like you that will want it more.
If you can get a eng degree great. Anything less you're going to be working with a lot of guys who worked their way up and they will eat you for lunch. Even as a eng summer jobs aren't in the office you are putting in field time. Heck Cnrl makes new hire engineers do a year or more in the field before they see the office.
Don't worry kiddo somebody will make you see the light.

I could have had a degree but choose otherwise, I like working outside with the boys, I like dealing with the weather, I don't mind shivering or sweating, I enjoy being uncouth and being me. You aren't cut out for it matty and unless you have a attitude change that isn't going to change. If you realize things you will be fine I'm sure.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry kid but with the attitude you seem to have when people have been trying to be helpful I would start looking into something other than the oilfield because no one is going to put up with an attitude like that for long. I would suggest that instead of worrying about making lots of money that you should also think about what type of job you can actually see yourself being happy doing for a long time. Money is one thing but hating your job every moment isn't worth it and will make you very miserable.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Here's a tip, if you're outside you will be confused and suddenly notice the sky is very blue today and then think why am I looking up at the sky . If you are inside you will be looking up at lights and think why am I laying down
Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 AM

Consider looking into land reclamation consulting. The whole province of Alberta has thousand of sites requiring reclamation, and there will be way more in the future. Alot of the work is not overly physical.

In reality, you have the potential to be making tremendous money by the time you are 30. The money will follow in what ever occupation you choose. Follow things that inspire you and your passions.

What you do with any money you earn is the most important thing to consider. Alot of young guys that make lots of money don't spend or save it wisely.

All paths look steep at first. But then after a little work, what a view
Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
According to the websites i've been on yeah, jobs in the financial sector. Common you cheesebrain I'm from small town BC not Fort Mac oil heaven, mind giving a teenager a hand?
Ugg... been baited and hooked.... Got trolled.

On the other hand... I don't mind giving some hot young BC female teenagers a hand.

I like hippy girls with questionable morals and low self esteem.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Ugg... been baited and hooked.... Got trolled.

On the other hand... I don't mind giving some hot young BC female teenagers a hand.

I like hippy girls with questionable morals and low self esteem.
Lmao
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Consider looking into land reclamation consulting. The whole province of Alberta has thousand of sites requiring reclamation, and there will be way more in the future. Alot of the work is not overly physical.

In reality, you have the potential to be making tremendous money by the time you are 30. The money will follow in what ever occupation you choose. Follow things that inspire you your passions. What you do with any money you earn is the most important thing.

All paths look steep at first. But then after a little work, what a view

I am telling you right now he should be a engineer. Don't send him my way.