Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty521521 View Post
According to the websites i've been on yeah, jobs in the financial sector. Common you cheesebrain I'm from small town BC not Fort Mac oil heaven, mind giving a teenager a hand?

Well then why don't you start quizzing some of them 18yr olds runnin around in there $80,000 trucks as to how there making money up in the Mac? Lots of guys from Kelowna work up north... No faster way into a company up here then a solid word from an employee.

Small town Kelowna? Ha!...

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Ugg... been baited and hooked.... Got trolled.

On the other hand... I don't mind giving some hot young BC female teenagers a hand.

I like hippy girls with questionable morals and low self esteem.
What a coincidence.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 AM

Too young friend.
Should be happy and lucky to get a job paying $50-$60k until you've paid your dues.

TBark
Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 AM

Default Similar choices

I got some trade experience and so does my 18 and 20 year old brothers, I'm 22 myself. I'm a third year Ironworker, could've went to school for whatever I wanted. So could my brothers we all have diplomas, it's not what you know at first. No one really cares, if you want money you gotta work. I started at $19 and that was fantastic. 2.5 years later and 2 tests I'm looking for jobs between $35-40.

I have friends with degrees who can't get jobs, I also have a few engineering friends, one is a coordinator after 2 years at Nait he's making around 30-33. And my other friend is a mechanical engineer from u of a. He's around 30.
These guys have potential to make a hell of lot more but everything takes a lot of time.

I chose a trade because I had no idea what I wanted and knew I could make good money doing it. Now I really enjoy what I do and am really proud to be a structural Ironworker. It's rewarding. I'm glad I never went to university. I could barely sit still for the 6 weeks at Nait.

That's my experience. If you want money now. It's hard work and trades. Money later and maybe not as physically hard do an engineering course. If you don't know what you want, take a trade. Get dirty, get sore, meet people, show them as much respect as you can, and ask as many questions as you can.
No one can take a trade away from you. It's a perfect fall back when post secondary doesn't work out.

Last edited by ray-M; 01-06-2014 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I'm just on this forum to ask if anyone works or has talked with people that WENT to school before heading up north. I'm not looking for sympathy, I work hard in school and I don't take the bare minimum route. In comparison to the lazy kids I'm pretty sure I'd rather not do the grunt work, not willing to study my nights away to work with a shovel until im 30. People getting butthurt because they smoked their dope during highschool while the others were working hard.
Nice sense of entitlement. Good luck with that. It will be soon beaten out of you once you hit the workforce.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Chem 11 85%
physics 11 77%
Pre-Calculus 11 80%

Chem 12 (currently taking)
Physics 12 (currently taking)
that means nothing to a BIG oil company looking for labour
they could care less how smart you are youll be a number they want strong people that shut up and work then those that CAN do that will move on to bigger better
if you think your to good to work hard you best stay in school and dont come out here till you have that degree.
this place would eat you up BOY
Old 01-06-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Nice sense of entitlement. Good luck with that. It will be soon beaten out of you once you hit the workforce.
just a heads up we have labourers working for us right now with degrees that WENT to school.
school isnt evrything up here BOY
Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Here's a tip, if you're outside you will be confused and suddenly notice the sky is very blue today and then think why am I looking up at the sky . If you are inside you will be looking up at lights and think why am I laying down
Zinggg.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Smile Well lots of experience here.

One point that no one has made, I think. Is the ability to work hard and I mean hard is a benefit of youth, and due to your injury that may no longer be possible for you. If you do start as a labourer, as has been stated you may not be able to do the work as others have suggested. I'd believe them if I were you.

When I was a bit older than you I started hard rock mining and lost 17 ;bs. in 2 weeks! The advice from the other miners and the experience kept me in school.

I also noticed that the older men could no longer work as hard as the young fellows and this was not a positive view of the future. 1/2 our money was from production bonus.

You can make more with a pencil than with a shovel. (Grand father)

The comments about engineers and others not getting work is true, read the comments on attitude and see if you can guess why.

I wish you the very best with your career choices.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Since you went to Law school you should know the resultant of someone planting you in modern day society lol.

As a guy who has worked in the "patch" for over a decade I will give you some advice..if you start working in the industry with an attitude like yours you won't last long...their are plenty of guys and girls that won't hesitate you knock your block off and I can quarrentee that you won't have one person as a wittiness if you call anyone..and after that good luck finding a job again....I've seen it happen and it will always happen...good luck in your job search. But I think you need to find humility first
Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I went through too much to work with a spade, I can't work with some dickweed that skipped 3/4 highschool and just passed and be viewed on the same level, and again the topic says "WITH SCHOOL". Thanks for your view though.
You should really watch ''Canada's Greatest Know It All''

There's a big difference between being able to read a book, and regurgitate it out on a test, and being smart. I've seen lots of engineers that get chewed up, and spat out on their face because they were too good to actually listen to the cogs that turn the machine, because they lacked a piece of paper saying they're ''smart.''

The greatest engineers i've ran into have been the ones that aren't afraid to ask the grunts questions, and have put a bit of time in the field.

Your attitude reminds me of my wife's cousin. 34 year old, professional student until last year, and over the holidays was talking at my brother in law the same way he talks at the folks working for him. Long story short, we pulled him out of there before he was on his back admiring the drop cieling, and wrought iron light fixtures in the hall we rented for Christmas.

I was really interested in giving you hand before you posted about not wanting to be lumped in with some dickweed on a shovel. My advise to you is to never talk down at or about the people working for you. they can make you, break you, or break you in half. It's a small world, and the ass you're kicking today could be the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 AM

Why does everyone keep feeding the troll?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Why does everyone keep feeding the troll?
Sometimes its fun!

Kid stay in Kelowna we have enough self entitled know everything people here as it is.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajr View Post
that means nothing to a BIG oil company looking for labour
they could care less how smart you are youll be a number they want strong people that shut up and work then those that CAN do that will move on to bigger better
if you think your to good to work hard you best stay in school and dont come out here till you have that degree.
this place would eat you up BOY
I said I'm not looking for labour
Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Then stay in school for a few more years...
Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM

And forget working in Ft. Mac or the oilfield.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM

It may not be 100% applicable to this thread but I thought this guy's video clip sort of summed up today's generation as far as ingratitude and sense of entitlement goes.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OAOrT0OcHh0
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You better get used to it, if you've really been working hard at it your marks aren't that high. You could always try Home Depot I hear they are looking for sales associates.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Wow, to sum this thread up...

This kids sense of entitlement would get him knocked out on my pipeline crew. We have both "educated" and the high school drop outs. Not a single one would put up with that attitude. IF you were lucky the spread boss would save you the severe beating and send you packing.

I am both educated and a oilfield worker. I hold a 4th class PE as well as a trades ticket. I now supervise or operate equipment. I started off making 14/hr out here in 98 on the end of a shovel, worked my ass off to get to where I am. Never talk down to the guys on the ground, you never know where they have come from, what schooling they have, or of in their spare time they are a MMA fighter. Watch your tongue kid. It's going to get you in a world of hurt
Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyetis View Post
It may not be 100% applicable to this thread but I thought this guy's video clip sort of summed up today's generation as far as ingratitude and sense of entitlement goes.

Nail on the head
Old 01-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
You better get used to it, if you've really been working hard at it your marks aren't that high. You could always try Home Depot I hear they are looking for sales associates.
Home depot will involve ladders and potentially a forklift......that's a no go in this situation.

I'm thinking tim hortons as there is no potentially dangerous deep fryer present.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyetis View Post

This video in no way applies to me, I don't have a cellphone let alone any other gaming platform then my laptop. I am the first generation in Canada from an Easter European family that doesn't have ****. If you understood the struggles people come by living post communism you would cry your life away. You think that I come from a household of prosperty? Please you pathetic ****. I've done enough labour in residential construction to understand what's going on here. Do you not yet understand that we live in a country that is so RICH in natural resources that we should be living like the Saudi Arabians? I don't belive anyone should settle to work for minimum wage in a country as wealthy as this one. But again Canada is a multicultural country and there is always an immigrant worker that will work 2x as hard as YOU for half the pay. Companies want to maximize profit as well right? I still belive it's better to get a piece of paper that says your better then some meathead to secure your position
Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
This video in no way applies to me, I don't have a cellphone let alone any other gaming platform then my laptop. I am the first generation in Canada from an Easter European family that doesn't have ****. If you understood the struggles people come by living post communism you would cry your life away. You think that I come from a household of prosperty? Please you pathetic ****. Do you not yet understand that we live in a country that is so RICH in natural resources that we should be living like the Saudi Arabians? I don't belive anyone should settle to work for minimum wage in a country as wealthy as this one. But again Canada is a multicultural country and there is always an immigrant worker that will work 2x as hard as YOU for half the pay. Companies want to maximize profit as well right? I still belive it's better to get a piece of paper that says your better then some meathead to secure your position
No everybody is saying you feel you are better than them without accomplishing anything. We all went to high school. I took physics whoop-tee-do. Don't know what immigration has to do with your attitude. No matter what you do in life you have to earn it.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
This video in no way applies to me, I don't have a cellphone let alone any other gaming platform then my laptop. I am the first generation in Canada from an Easter European family that doesn't have ****. If you understood the struggles people come by living post communism you would cry your life away. You think that I come from a household of prosperty? Please you pathetic ****. I've done enough labour in residential construction to understand what's going on here. Do you not yet understand that we live in a country that is so RICH in natural resources that we should be living like the Saudi Arabians? I don't belive anyone should settle to work for minimum wage in a country as wealthy as this one. But again Canada is a multicultural country and there is always an immigrant worker that will work 2x as hard as YOU for half the pay. Companies want to maximize profit as well right? I still belive it's better to get a piece of paper that says your better then some meathead to secure your position
Then get off the internet, and back to class.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Note what I've highlighted, then think really hard about your responses in this thread. So migrant workers work twice as hard, but you a migrant yourself don't want to do anything?..... for first class wages?

I think you should stay in school..... for like 8-10 years. You'll live longer.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
But again Canada is a multicultural country and there is always an immigrant worker that will work 2x as hard as YOU for half the pay.

Companies want to maximize profit as well right? I still belive it's better to get a piece of paper that says your better then some meathead to secure your position
As far as the first point you have made it clear your not that immigrant.

No piece of paper states your better than anyone else.

Midwest pipeline is extremely busy at the moment and the big boss is from Kelowna.

He has all his kids friends and half of Kelowna on the payroll...why are YOU not on that relatively well paying gravy train?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballs View Post
Then get off the internet, and back to class.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I went through too much to work with a spade, I can't work with some dickweed that skipped 3/4 highschool and just passed and be viewed on the same level, and again the topic says "WITH SCHOOL". Thanks for your view though.
you went through too much doing what? I have some news for you man, highschool is barely even a start and hardly constitutes hard work. This is coming from a guy with over 8 years of post secondary education.....the REAL school work STARTS in your third year of post secondary. With that, a degree doesn't even ensure you make millions. I don't work the patch and never will, but I do have the utmost respect for guys that do. THAT is real mans work and they earn every penny.

All Im saying is don't for one minute kid yourself into thinking you've put in even 1 second of 'hard' work yet. Youre only leaving the playground.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM

I still belive it's better to get a piece of paper that says your better then some meathead to secure your position [/QUOTE]
Just remember...your not better than anyone..you are a rookie...even wih that piece of paper you are still no better than the next monkey just entering the field...and a word to the wise if you were on the same site as me and you called me or any of the guys I work with a meathad, someone would be calling you an ambulance....pretty simple...you should start showing a little respect to the people who paved the way so people like yourself can move to this great country...and one more thing, be carefull who you say your better than, cause your boss may not have went to school to get his position. He could have started out on a shovel, you insult him you very easily may find yourself on a black list
Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Banned

Now lets send you all off to Serbia or Bulgaria and see how your payroll goes. You're from a country that's privileged and you want your children to work the shovel? Gotta love narrow minded people, finish high school and start digging ditches. Yup, sounds smart to me.