Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Hey Kid why don't you Me your name and I'll make sure my counterparts at the Alberta Building Trades and at Syncrude and Suncor put your application In the appropriate file
Cat
Your on fire today cat...glad to see u back
Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Just remember, hard work will take you far. That piece of paper that you claim makes you better than everyone else CAN take you further. But you have to work your way up like everyone else. Just because you have that piece of paper does not mean you are entitled to more. Go EARN your living. And you high school grades do not mean anything and arent that great to begin with. Drop the attitude, work hard and you will make it further than any piece of paper can take you.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 PM

What's wrong with your kid starting out on a shovel? If any of my children decide they want the same life as me, even if they work directly for me, they WILL start out on the end of a shovel. That way as they GROW they will respect the man on the shovel. Know their importance and know what it's like. Any supervisor in the oilfield has been there, they have done their time. They are respected because of that. Some dip**** out of school thinks he can start at the top? No piece of paper will give you respect, its your work that gives you that.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM

To Matty, if your arms could dig a hole as deep and as fast as your mouth does, you'd have no trouble making $150K a year (even though you'd turn it down because you're better than that).

At first I believed you were just a naive kid who didn't know better. Now I just believe you're a punk who's father never taught him about respect or showed him what a hard day of work was. I took mechanical engineering in university and graduated in the top 3 of my class. I've been working for 9 years and it took 7 years of hard work and networking for me to get a break and start earning decent coin. There is no get rich quick scheme in Alberta that we aren't telling you about. Work hard, show respect to your seniors and colleagues, and it will eventually pay off.

If I were you, I'd listen to those with experience in the patch. You're doing a lot of talking when you should be doing a lot of listening...especially since you started this thread. For your sake I hope I'm wrong and that you're simply just not articulating yourself well.

Best of luck to you - you're going to need it.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltime pops View Post
Do the Apprenticeship Entrance Exam for Carpentry and join the Carpenters Union.
I think a scaffolder or carpenter is below his station in life- as far as he is concerned, anyway!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-06-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Wow, think we need a min age to join AO, in this case anyways.

TBark
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchMatcher View Post
*than. better hit the books harder dumdum
Zzzing! lol, good thread.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty521521 View Post
Hey Everyone!

I'm a 17 year old student from Kelowna, with my last year of high school. I'm currently stuck in a weird situation job wise. I wanted to be a Power Engineer until my dads friend pointed out some good things why I shouldn't become one. Instead he said at the camps he goes to up North the Electricians make $150K (with experience obvs). So now I'm edging towards that but I'm still open to look.

Does anyone know of any low labour jobs with schooling to be making some good coin?

Means alot!
-M
There are quite a few good diploma/degree programs which offer co-op terms where you can work in your field.

If you don't want to do physical labour, find something that is office based.

Workin in a camp ain't no way to live.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:43 PM

I say, leave the poor fool to himself, he is his own best friend anyway. I have better things to do, like go try my new coyote call and fling some 17 hmr lead. You know the good things in life. This kid is a lost cause, but thats good, he can serve us all a large double double at Timmies when he gets punted from the patch.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
There are quite a few good diploma/degree programs which offer co-op terms where you can work in your field.

Thanks for some actual input, I'll take a look at some office based jobs!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Banned

You all need to stop snorting money through your nose and get a nice F16000 dually. Can't wait to be sitting in an office in Calgary telling you boys on the rigs what to do.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

That's actually a pretty ignorant comment beeguy. My brother in law CHOOSES to do electrical work via the camp route. Makes great money and has a great family life. what is deemed a less than acceptable lifestyle by one, is deemed phenominal by another. to each their own. Im actually pretty surprised a guy your age would have that point of view. Its definitely not for me, but for those that it does work for good on them! if it makes them happy and provides for their family great!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
You all need to stop snorting money through your nose and get a nice F16000 dually. Can't wait to be sitting in an office in Calgary telling you boys on the rigs what to do.
lol says the kid that was previously asking whether he had to actually know his grade 12 physics curriculum or just 'parts of it'. Geezuz kid, if you cant handle BASIC math and physics related math that is......you're in for a tough haul.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM

....and by the way....what the eff is 'pre calculus'?

is that like 'pre-med'? as in a first year sciences degree where the deepest you go is how to effectively tie your shoes?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Take the high road gentlemen. Shut this down please.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsMav View Post
....and by the way....what the eff is 'pre calculus'?

is that like 'pre-med'? as in a first year sciences degree where the deepest you go is how to effectively tie your shoes?
Pre-calc is 1st year university calculus course, into getting your degree earlier you bimbo.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM

youll have to excuse me....I graduated highschool in 2000....where I completed calculus with 98%.

So is calculus not taught in highschool anymore as an advanced option? I still don't get the 'pre-calculus'. Considering calc is essentially an entirely new entity in relation to math skills (which is why in my age group class average was generally well above 80 as its pretty much impossible not to score high when everyone starts from the base point of knowing nothing - also note symbolic logic) how is it pre anything? How does scoring 80 some percent transfer over, from a high school scoring system that is weak at best, to a bell curved system where your GPA will potentially be affected? 80th percentile in highschool equates to about 4 on a 9 point curve. welcome to mediocrity my friend......
Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Pre-calc is 1st year university calculus course, into getting your degree earlier you bimbo.
Man I feel so lucky to have such a fine young man that is going to finish with so many degree's and a high education bag my groceries for me. Just remember meat goes with meat and fruit goes with the fruit. Just in case you don't learn that in university.

Last edited by 257wbyhunter; 01-06-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsMav View Post
youll have to excuse me....I graduated highschool in 2000....where I completed calculus with 98%.

So is calculus not taught in highschool anymore as an advanced option? I still don't get the 'pre-calculus'. Considering calc is essentially an entirely new entity in relation to math skills (which is why in my age group class average was generally well above 80 as its pretty much impossible not to score high when everyone starts from the base point of knowing nothing - also note symbolic logic) how is it pre anything? How does scoring 80 some percent transfer over, from a high school scoring system that is weak at best, to a bell curved system where your GPA will potentially be affected? 80th percentile in highschool equates to about 4 on a 9 point curve. welcome to mediocrity my friend......

Your 98% doesn't mean sh** because you were stupid enough to take the shovel over education.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Wow, lets all bow down. Kid I took calculus in high school, as well as all the sciences and excelled. I also have a university degree. I'm slogging it in the trenches of the oilfield, just like almost all who are at the top.

If you want a Calgary office job with good prospects the only degree to get is Engineering, I don't know if your marks are high enough for UBC, UofC or UofA though.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 PM

i took math 31 in high school (only calc course) and it did not transfer over to SAIT, it was merely for if it came down to you or another student getting in, and i had it and they didnt, i would get in.

but the 2 calc classes i took last year were the exact same as my math 31 course. so i breezed through those with no effort.

i dont know what they offer in BC high schools, but i dont see how a first year university course can be taken by someone in grade 11.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 PM

so we've settled that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, as we have long ago established that ive never once lifted a shovel or worked a rig in my life, after graduating from university, in previous posts. I did however pay my own way through post secondary (NAIT & U of A) , with a shovel (working local road construction in Edmonton) and athletic scholarships, I applaud the effort though mate! keep up the good work! Im happy to say that now I tell guys like you strive to be, essentially how to do their job. I also enjoy beer, hunting, fishing, camping, babes, and I greatly appreciate the 'meatheads with shovels', and the jobs that they do, as I will never be ignorant enough to ever claim that they DONT fuel the economy that this entire country enjoys year over year. Im 6', blonde, and I have lovely blue eyes and a 32" waistline....I like wearing denim on sundays. Anything else you'd like to know about me princess? this is cute isn't it?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Let's see, you are not out of school yet?
Soooo, that will be only aout 20 years at least before you get into an office and tell ANYBODY what to do!
BTW, my F350 is all I need to haul my jet boat and 5th wheel to my lake lot, thank you very much.
Cat
Old 01-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Now lets send you all off to Serbia or Bulgaria and see how your payroll goes. You're from a country that's privileged and you want your children to work the shovel? Gotta love narrow minded people, finish high school and start digging ditches. Yup, sounds smart to me.
Wow kind I am sorry but you are unbelievable have you not been reading any of these posts? You said you wanted to work in the oilfield to make lots of money, but you don't want to do the physical work just jump straight to the top of the food chain. Post after post has told you this is not possible you need to start at the bottom and work your way up. This applies for jobs outside of the oilfield as well I am sorry but no degree is going to get you a CEO position right out of school. Yeah we do live in a privileged country and we are lucky to make the money we do but if you are thinking oilfield you are going to have to be prepared to work your ass off for that money and work your way up. Experience is the most important education out here. You may very well have a degree and be working right next to a high school dropout, so be it. If he/she has more experience than you it would be wise to listen to them if they tell you something to. I hope for your safety that if you do decide to come to the oilfield you learn how to show people some respect before then or at the very least know how to keep your mouth shut or you will be sorry I am sure.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Still waiting for the kid to M me his intel, but we all know that won't happen any time soon.....
Oh well, I'm tired of his B.S, time to hit the button.
he can join mtngiant in banned camp.
Cat
Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your 98% doesn't mean sh** because you were stupid enough to take the shovel over education.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Lucky Alberta, they are going to have another office princess writing completions and drilling programs without knowing what a rig looks like.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
That is a awesome Troll pic. Gonna borrow that for future use I think.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
How ****ing smart are you going to feel when someone takes their shovel and smacks you across your bloody head....trust me it will happen
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Let me set you straight junior, those in the Ivory Towers who are respected remember their roots and manage this way.. Never forget those in the trenches, with-out these the iron does absolutely nothing on it's own...

Personally I know more who slugged it out in the school of hard knocks and are more successful today than those who chose your idealism...

I bought my first company at 31, this from being a summer student and working my way through the trenches and now 10 years later own many businesses and it is my personal choice to want to work for a living now.