Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Default Thoughts on the Kipor Generators

Title pretty well say's it all. Welcome all comments.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:00 PM

They are very good. I like my 3000 a lot. Very quiet
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Had the 2000 suitcase style, worked like a charm. Gave it to some friends as I now have a Honda 3000 for the air in the trailer. One thing to keep in mind, the shop I bought mine from no longer carries them as they say customer service sucks and they cannot get parts for them.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
Had the 2000 suitcase style, worked like a charm. Gave it to some friends as I now have a Honda 3000 for the air in the trailer. One thing to keep in mind, the shop I bought mine from no longer carries them as they say customer service sucks and they cannot get parts for them.
x2
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 PM

Default My $.02

As far as I'm concerned all knock off equipment, gens, atv's, sxs, dirt bikes, should be sent packing back to China or Korea or wherever they originate. Might work well for a short time but............ Save yourself the inevitable grief and get a Honda or Yamaha inverter.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
As far as I'm concerned all knock off equipment, gens, atv's, sxs, dirt bikes, should be sent packing back to China or Korea or wherever they originate. Might work well for a short time but............ Save yourself the inevitable grief and get a Honda or Yamaha inverter.
Because you have had a bad experience......please elaborate?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Default Gladly

I have three of friends who were suckered into the "cheap but it's the same as brand x" hype from the knock off dealers. Only to have issues with them soon after using them(ATV, dirt bike and generator). Two weeks ago I met a guy on the trail with what I thought was a new Can Am 800. Only after the throttle repeatedly stuck open did I realize it was a cfmoto. If you don't believe me check kijiji and see what's for sale. Most people don't sell off their junk.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 PM

I have had a kipor 2000 suitcase style for about 5 yrs and I bought it used has never missed a beat I have put hundreds of hours on it every year always starts and does the job I know a few guys with the 3000s that have had the same experience.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 PM

I have the 3000 inverter model, have had it since 07, parts are not that bad to find if ya know a dealer, there is one in didsbury, okotoks, Iv had no problems with it other than the door latch broke, I phoned goldstar in okotoks and they had the part in a week, that was a yr and a half ago..
and for the bucks I paid, Im very happy with it...
Old 07-17-2014, 03:25 PM

I looked at the Kipor's but they didn't really make sense to me to buy at that price point. They are in the middle area, they aren't cheap like the chinese ones but to me they aren't cheap enough to justify buying one instead of a Honda or Yamaha either.

I did own a Champion 2000w generator, it failed to run my 9200btu A/c unit. It would go into overload immediately. I upgraded to the Honda and it runs it easily in eco mode. I think some of the ratings of these things are optimistic.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _hedge_ View Post
I looked at the Kipor's but they didn't really make sense to me to buy at that price point. They are in the middle area, they aren't cheap like the chinese ones but to me they aren't cheap enough to justify buying one instead of a Honda or Yamaha either.

I did own a Champion 2000w generator, it failed to run my 9200btu A/c unit. It would go into overload immediately. I upgraded to the Honda and it runs it easily in eco mode. I think some of the ratings of these things are optimistic.
my 3000 was $875 at the rv show in 07, quite a bit of diffrence than a yammy or honda...
Old 05-05-2020, 08:32 AM

Default Kipor

I have a 1000 for 5 yrs now. premium gas. always starts every spring.was $450 new. 20 ft away cant hear it.we dont have AC so only use it every 3 days to charge the batterys, Last yr when camping at Bear lake a family camped 5 stalls over ran a real cheap chinese 3500 all F----day till 11 pm., grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr was going to pour some water in it at night.wife wouldnt let me..
Old 05-05-2020, 08:52 AM

I run a pair of 2000w Champions and have done some testing work for them in the past as well. The 2000 models are quite good machines but for running your AC you must read the specs carefully as Honda does something better than the others in that it has a higher for longer surge allowance.

AC have a larger surge when they startup and is why many have added a surge capacitor to the AC so it is not as high. Champion surge is only a few ms and Honda is a few seconds. Doesn't sound like much is enough to shut it down but the Champion is really only a 1600 watt continuous and should be bought with that in mind. You are right though they should advertise a little better so that when people buy these things they know what they are really getting. For a 1600 watt machine they actually work very well but do not expect them to handle the surge at startup for your AC. I can chain my 2 together but seldom ever take out more than 1 unit as I hardly ever use my AC camping. Charging batteries and the odd thing inside that needs 120v and that is all we use it for.

Honda are definitely the best at twice the cost if that is what you need. Champion gives a little less wattage, very quiet, parts are easy to get if you need and help line is the best if you just need to talk to someone unlike most of the other knock off brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _hedge_ View Post