Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Cant wait for getting ready for spring bear...
Old 01-19-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
F&W watch these boards i'm sure you wont have to contact them, they'll contact you.
this ^^^
Old 01-19-2017, 11:06 PM

I still do not understand what the guy is asking. He said he reported them; then asks if it's not too late to report still...
It's like there are at least two different stories here.

From the way I read the story, and now that I write this, it seems to me that the op had some friends that were baiting and hunted while wasted, while breaking other laws, etc. So he reported those guys with all the details. Story one. Then another friend comes for dinner, bringing some deer meat, which the op later learns has also been poached and that there is an uncle, who had been poaching for decades (also invites others to do so on his property). Story two. And now the op is not really sure what to do about another friend, friend's wife and friend's uncle.

Also, how many people can you really feed with tenderloins from a deer?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
I still do not understand what the guy is asking. He said he reported them; then asks if it's not too late to report still...

From the way I read the story, and now that I write this, it seems to me that the op had some friends that were baiting and hunted while wasted, while breaking other laws, etc. So he reported those guys with all the details. Story one. Then another friend comes for dinner, bringing some deer meat, which the op later learns has also been poached and that there is an uncle, who had been poaching for decades (also invites others to do so on his property). Story two. And now the op is not really sure what to do about another friend, friend's wife and friend's uncle.

I reported one of the guys during the hunting season on a separate occasion for baiting and using an atv outside of the legal hours of usage.

the question I was asking is if it was too late to report the guy who took the doe. (it was thanksgiving weekend when the deer was killed. I didn't hear the story from him about how it was taken (poached) until January.)
Old 01-20-2017, 02:46 PM

ALL drunk with weapons but you,then the deer was finish off with arrows,then you only find out later about it,plus you want to turn the the guy in for a story over a piece meat you never seen,maybe he was drunk at your house agian and it was just another story to lead you on and find out who you really are,plus which doe was killed with the arrows the one you seen or never seen but heard about it later.
And these were your friends and you never knew they drank and in all of 2 years you never once told them your view on hunting drunk and poaching so I think I don't believe this story,parts have been left out and you were just new to hunting yet turned someone else in while you were just out doing nothing wrong after dark,cause you saw him in the evening ..You can't just make a statement on a guy and if you want him charged your going to court also.The part of you being involved may be the only true part.

Last edited by JD848; 01-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:49 PM

I am going to vote this thread the weirdest one of the year. I want it to make 10 pages for boring days at work
Old 01-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrem597x1977 View Post
I reported one of the guys during the hunting season on a separate occasion for baiting and using an atv outside of the legal hours of usage.

the question I was asking is if it was too late to report the guy who took the doe. (it was thanksgiving weekend when the deer was killed. I didn't hear the story from him about how it was taken (poached) until January.)
It is never too late to report a poacher.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Enquiring minds want to know.....How was the tenderloin???

i've never had poached tenderloin, i always grill mine.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-20-2017, 04:46 PM

The truth is , half the hunters are poachers. Half the people hunting private lands bait or shoot animals out of season and this is not the first time I hear this. Many people don't even obtain tags.
Report it but don't hold your breath.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
the op is as responsible for the illegal activities as the poachers if he needs to ask it on this site.

He did not take part in the illegal activities, he told his hunting companions they were being irresponsible and unethical and he has reported some of their illegal activity.

The hunt is now long over, and he is wondering if he should report something in the past for which there may be currently no evidence. Most people would understand its not easy to report your friends or family even when its the right thing. Jumping on him for asking for advice before he does something that could have serious consequences his hunting buddies and him is an ...... move.

To the OP: you've done the right thing so far, and in the right way. You did better than many would have. Sounds like some serious unethical hunting and poaching going on at this uncle's place, though. The right thing to do is to report it to a CO. If they look into it, and everything is by the book there will be no problem.

PS I'm a novice hunter myself, only 3 seasons and 2 deer under my belt plus helping my hunting partners with their kills.. Don't know where you hunt, but send me a PM if you're still looking for a hunting partner by next fall.

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-20-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
The truth is , half the hunters are poachers. Half the people hunting private lands bait or shoot animals out of season and this is not the first time I hear this. Many people don't even obtain tags.
Report it but don't hold your breath.
Where do you get your information? Or is this just something you know
Old 01-20-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
He did not take part in the illegal activities, he told his hunting companions they were being irresponsible and unethical and he has reported some of their illegal activity.

The hunt is now long over, and he is wondering if he should report something in the past for which there may be currently no evidence. Most people would understand its not easy to report your friends or family even when its the right thing. Jumping on him for asking for advice before he does something that could have serious consequences his hunting buddies and him is an !@#hole move.
I agree with all you said and even the part that was edited out by mod.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post

The hunt is now long over, and he is wondering if he should report something in the past for which there may be currently no evidence. Most people would understand its not easy to report your friends or family even when its the right thing. Jumping on him for asking for advice before he does something that could have serious consequences his hunting buddies and him is an ...... move.

To the OP: you've done the right thing so far, and in the right way. You did better than many would have. Sounds like some serious unethical hunting and poaching going on at this uncle's place, though. The right thing to do is to report it to a CO. If they look into it, and everything is by the book there will be no problem.

PS I'm a novice hunter myself, only 3 seasons and 2 deer under my belt plus helping my hunting partners with their kills.. Don't know where you hunt, but send me a PM if you're still looking for a hunting partner by next fall.
My point is there should be no wondering at all if they should be reported and no advise should be required if a hunter knows the rules, which any hunter should. His buddies should also already know the consequences of their actions. Once again no advise required. If you feel that its too hard to do such a thing and the consequences are too steep then inviting him hunting may just be replacing his old friends with more of the same, there, now you have a reason to call me names young fella.

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-20-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post

Yup.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 PM

i would just leave this alone till next hunting season and then report them all with detailed information which you have . then f&w could catch them in the act and it would be over and done with .
Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 PM

Once FW learn's of this you tell them your worried for your safety ,they will figure it all out and they know what's needed to make charges stick .So do what you think is right and stay away from them guy's forever,I don't know what all went on and neither does anyone here so pay no attention to anything even what I wrote before.Let the FW tell you if you should go forward's or just give info,then in another year or so they will get them or 5 years,see FW have a long memory and they get paid not to forget.Lotsa good people make mistakes and there trained to see right from wrong,so don't sweat it.

Last edited by JD848; 01-20-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
My point is there should be no wondering at all if they should be reported and no advise should be required if a hunter knows the rules, which any hunter should. His buddies should also already know the consequences of their actions. Once again no advise required. If you feel that its too hard to do such a thing and the consequences are too steep then inviting him hunting may just be replacing his old friends with more of the same, there, now you have a reason to call me names young fella.
There is no harm in taking time to get advise, to consider things before acting. Didn't say it's too hard, just hard. He did the right thing, and I understood he is asking for advice as he wants to keep doing the right thing. It's not a very time-sensitive situation really.

We should be piling on those who are breaking the rules, and encouraging those who are speaking out against it instead of criticizing them for not acting immediately.

I agree, his buddies should already know better and know the consequences of their actions. Pretty clear they don't though do they?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:36 AM

I think this website should have a little link on the side of every page to share with fish and wild life. the OP is not at fault in my opinion and would have nothing to worry about. but should come forward with the information.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Hunting is hunting and poaching is poaching.They are not the same
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM

I did a search on the OP and read a bunch of stuff he has previously posted. It seems that not so long ago we were celebrating with him his first deer kill. In my opinion based on the story of his hunt, the OP is a hunter with the highest of ethics. I admit a bit of confusion when I first read his first post on this thread, but in the end it reduced down to him asking legitimate question related to the time between offence and reporting.

Some of the responses to his post have proven beyond any doubt that AO is not a safe place to ask and that they are few on these forums or any social mediate that one can trust.

I have faith that the OP knows what is right and by now should beware of social media.