Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the on-line Hunter Ed Exam meeting objectives
The current on-line Exam format is adequate but the passing grade should be increased 6 5.17%
An Oral or Classroom exam and a higher passing grade would be preferred 29 25.00%
Just a higher passing grade 4 3.45%
It's OK as it is. Leave it alone. 77 66.38%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Hunter Education Course

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that thinks the current Hunter Education on-line course/exam is inadequate.
Considering the burgeoning numbers of new recruits to the hunting fraternity and the absolute ease to successfully pass the on-line exam I can't help but think the Course is missing it's intended purpose by a fair margin.
I agree that having the convenience of studying the course on-line is a major improvement to the previous Course attendance requirement, but I do not think the on-line exam is achieving it's intended purpose.

Perhaps taking the Course on-line then followed up by a classroom or oral exam would be more practical. The exam could be conducted by current AHEIA instructors that are situated throughout the Province, with fixed dates, times and locations provided well in advance. Those with specific attendance issues could contact their closest AHEIA instructor to make other arrangements.

Thoughts Please. Sorry .. Option #1 is redundant .Plse ignore

Last edited by Salavee; 01-19-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:30 PM

I'd like to see statistics regarding whether those convicted of wildlife violations took the online course vs the in-person course. Absent that, you can't really judge whether one is more effective than the other.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 PM

People take drivers training, have learners permits, and have to pass a written and practical test, but there is still a whole pile of ****ty drivers out there. I don't think changing the test would make much of a difference either way....people are going to make their own choices as to how they conduct themselves. If it were actually a real consideration, I would rather see the money put into the "re-vamp" allocated to enforcement. As sad as it is, more enforcement and harsher penalties are what it takes to get people to fully learn and follow the rules. I can guarantee that a lot more guys would be motivated to check the regs if they were facing stiffer penalties and higher enforcement rates.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd like to see statistics regarding whether those convicted of wildlife violations took the online course vs the in-person course. Absent that, you can't really judge whether one is more effective than the other.
Agreed, even just stats on how many poachers got their first license since the mandatory course rule came into effect would be helpful
Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 PM

I would like to see more test questions concerning the hunting regulations, in the hope that it would force people to actually read the regulations.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:35 PM

Maybe it has always been like this. But I know two guys that got into hunting in the last couple years and I am not impressed by there lack of knowledge of general regulations. Simple stuff like game bird seasons. It is very easy to break the rules now days so I read the regulations front to back every year. I hope this practice is recommended to new hunters.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 PM

Adults that are idiots are everywhere. Exams aren't going to help that. But also understand that 11 year old kids are taking these exams as well. IMO they should do away with it entirely for anyone under 16.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-19-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Adults that are idiots are everywhere. Exams aren't going to help that. But also understand that 11 year old kids are taking these exams as well. IMO they should do away with it entirely for anyone under 16.
Yes, 11 yr old kids are taking the course and many do well with it... others not so well. The same applies to adults. I say this as being one of the original Hunter Ed Instructors in this Province who has presented a lot of courses. My personal experience leads me to believe that 13 yrs is good age to set as a minimum for the course.

In addition,with a course cost of $50.00 and a re-write at $25.00 I think it's safe to say that not many students will fail the on-line exam.. It may be a different story if final examination was provided in an independent setting . It's not that we want to see anyone fail, we just want to insure that home study and examination produces the knowledge the course was intended to provide and what the rest of us, including most parents of young ones want to see embedded in new hunters of any age.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:08 PM

Big issue is how they are taught in the field. Unfortunately there is an incredible number of hunters who hunt unethically and take their friends or family to teach them.

Part of the solution is you and I. Mentor a new hunter every year and we set a good standard in every new hunter.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Banned

I took my course in school with a lot of my friends and. The teacher asked us questions from the regulations there pretty simple to follow and understand but then again nowadays it's easier to ask a question on here and wait for a response then take 20 minutes to read the regulations
Old 01-19-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I took my course in school with a lot of my friends and. The teacher asked us questions from the regulations there pretty simple to follow and understand but then again nowadays it's easier to ask a question on here and wait for a response then take 20 minutes to read the regulations
Good point, anybody can read the regs, but do you understand them??

Lots of people ask questions about the interpretation of one thing or another. Although AO shouldn't ultimately be the ones responsible to do this, there is a ton of knowledge on here, readily available providing if first the poster isn't tromped into the ground. Another reason this board is here, sharing info and helping others.

Fish & wildlife, conservation officers & the like are really the go to for answers obviously... just try and get ahold of one during hunting season for a question in the regs...

My two cents..

Now back to the original topic... Worked fine for my son & daughter who I did with both seperatley on line at the age of 12.They took it again in school for credits as well, well why not?? I say leave it alone.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
And that is a problem in itself, in that people are getting too used to waiting for someone else to tell them what they need to know, rather that taking some initiative to learn on their own. A person is never going to think of enough questions to ask in order to learn every regulation by asking questions here, and then when that person is caught violating the regulations, they almost always claim ignorance.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 AM

The Exam is a joke and making it tough or not tough is not going to change anything. Young kids may or may not be able to pass it as the way it is now. It's all about educating and not an exam. A good solid course is where you learn and also from experienced people showing you how to do things.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Personally a passing grade of 70% is not high enough. Simply put, this means the candidate does know 30% of the material. When it comes to topics like firearm safety and hunting ethics the passing grade needs to be much higher.
Having said that, I am glad there is some required standard for first time hunters to attain before being granted the right to hunt.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:05 AM

I think that the course/exam experience can have different effects, depending on how they are taken.

For instance, imagine someone going through the process on their own - versus going through the course with a teacher/mentor. I think one would get more out of it with a teacher/mentor, but it's not always practical or possible.

In my case, I enjoyed going through the course material with my son. Going at his own pace, it gave us opportunities to talk about the different laws, scenarios and situations, and we both got a lot of value out of it that way (for the exam, he was on his own!)

And then there is the possibility of someone getting another person to do the exam for them - but let's not go into that.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
so if a child starts big game hunting at 12 they shouldn't have any prior testing done?

what about a learner's licence?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would like to see more test questions concerning the hunting regulations, in the hope that it would force people to actually read the regulations.
Also agreed. I did the course in November and brought two things up to my friends who hunt:
1) I was still very confused about the regs and was surprised that there wasn't more content on that.

2) Not necessarily relevant to this post but I was still confused on paperwork. I got my AHEIA number and applied for my WIN Card. I didn't realize that the WIN card is not a wildlife certificate. One simple slide in the slide show that had a flow chart of necessary documentation would have prevented a lot of questions and frustration.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
1) I was still very confused about the regs and was surprised that there wasn't more content on that.
That would be helpful, I'm sure. But I believe the reason for that is that the regulations change more often than the printings of the course manual.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
so if a child starts big game hunting at 12 they shouldn't have any prior testing done?

what about a learner's licence?
No they shouldn't. The adult they hunt with will have 1000 times more influence on what they do and learn than the course will. Good or bad.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
No they shouldn't. The adult they hunt with will have 1000 times more influence on what they do and learn than the course will. Good or bad.
Exactly!
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM

yeah... we wouldn't want kids to, uh, like, learn anything. A course would be bad.

We shouldn't have learner's license either. If a child is with his parent he should be able to drive.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Indeed!
Old 01-20-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You stated the problem right there yourself.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
for ethics i agree

but they should at least be taught proper species identification imo
Old 01-20-2017, 01:45 PM

watch what you wish for if it were to go to a classroom setting the costs would be substantially higher....have a look at the price for the Trappers license
Old 01-20-2017, 02:35 PM

Son #1 and I took the classroom course. Son #2 took his online. I don't think I can discern a difference between the two boys in terms of ethics, knowledge, etc.

Personally I think the classroom option is more desirable, but it's a mighty inconvenience for those who may live a long way from a major town or for those who for some other very legitimate reasons (work schedule, whatever), find attendance difficult. I think we want to make the course as accessible as possible and get the greatest numbers of new hunters going, while still ensuring they learn the basic rules of the game.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Personally I think the classroom option is more desirable, but it's a mighty inconvenience for those who may live a long way from a major town or for those who for some other very legitimate reasons (work schedule, whatever), find attendance difficult. I think we want to make the course as accessible as possible and get the greatest numbers of new hunters going, while still ensuring they learn the basic rules of the game.
Well said.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
for ethics i agree

but they should at least be taught proper species identification imo
You can't do that in the field?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 PM

It seems to be the modern way. We want it convenient, we want it easy, and we want it now !

Joining the modern hunting community should be more difficult than it was 60 years ago. Sad ,but true.
It's a crowded field now with way more landowners, less available recreational land, waaay more hunters and diminishing Wildlife resources. With that comes more exposure, more responsibility and a lot more acquired knowledge and effort to keep it together.. not to mention safe.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 PM

I've paid my dues and quite frankly can do a better job of educating my children about hunting than a course or a book.

-Billy Molls