Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Default Lac La Nonne

Hey Everyone,

We have a cabin here and use to fish it in the winter about 5 years ago, but haven't tried there since. How has the fishing been lately? We use to catch good numbers of all fish species, but it seemed to slow down . Please let me know if anyone is actually fishing here. Ice conditions would be great as well. Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM

THere are lots of walleyes and pike, but perch fishing is pretty much non existant
Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 PM

Its dead....
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM

Lotsa pike - and thieves! They tried to break into our shack, so pulled it off the lake. Be careful. Sad...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Default Perch

Forgot, where do you go for perch? We live in Gibbons, wanna be able to go to a lake to pull our shack on fairly easily, and not have to drive too far just for a weekend. We are scared to leave it out - thieves... Last winter we had it on Gull from December to April with no problems, here on Lac La Nonne not even for a week...
Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail7 View Post
Hey Everyone,

We have a cabin here and use to fish it in the winter about 5 years ago, but haven't tried there since. How has the fishing been lately? We use to catch good numbers of all fish species, but it seemed to slow down . Please let me know if anyone is actually fishing here. Ice conditions would be great as well. Thanks

We have been catching around the island, pike and walleye. I have been with the kids each time and there's enough action to keep them busy. I was out there last about 13 days ago just sledding and ice conditions are good, but I never take a vehicle on the ice. There was over a foot of ice. There also have been a number of vehicles out fishing.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaycush View Post
Lotsa pike - and thieves! They tried to break into our shack, so pulled it off the lake. Be careful. Sad...
That's too bad Namaycush, we have never had problems with theft out there. Now I'm a little nervous and will take a good look around on Saturday to make sure nothing is missing.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:53 PM

yeah, they busted the locks off, but couldn't get in, they ended up taking one of our jacks. $200 damage - could have been worse....
Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 PM

We have a cabin there as well. Perch fishing has declined drastically in conjunction with the protection of the Walleye. Lots of small jacks and starving Walleye to be caught, all Walleye must be released though. I haven't driven the truck onto the lake, only the quad this winter but there's lots of ice.

Craig
Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Default Fishing

I will be out there on Saturday , most likely fishing around the island. I'll have the Ice Cube up for the kids. Stop by and say hi if anyone of you are out.

Jason
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM

I assume your fishing around the island by Killdeer Beach. Our cabin is at the other end by Willow Bend Resort. We usually catch the walleye on the point by our cabin. Is the water semi-clear or is it murky again, I have a brand new Aqua-vu that I am dying to try. Has anybody actually targeted the perch here for fishing, or is it just observation that they are not catching as many occational ones. We use to fish the point of weeds on the opposite side of Killdeer where you drove on at the highway store. Use to get some perch in there, but haven't tried the last few years.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 PM

We got an Aquaview as well, and it's awesome, beats all fishing shows - watching yourself fishing. lol You can see everything in Lac La Nonne. We were around the island, lotsa pike, and have been trying to get perch, but not that we haven't caught any,we haven't even seen one.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail7 View Post
I assume your fishing around the island by Killdeer Beach. Our cabin is at the other end by Willow Bend Resort. We usually catch the walleye on the point by our cabin. Is the water semi-clear or is it murky again, I have a brand new Aqua-vu that I am dying to try. Has anybody actually targeted the perch here for fishing, or is it just observation that they are not catching as many occational ones. We use to fish the point of weeds on the opposite side of Killdeer where you drove on at the highway store. Use to get some perch in there, but haven't tried the last few years.
The spot your talking about across from Killdeer we caught walleye one after another in the summer, lots of fun.. If you look on www.Killdeerbeachresort.com they always have pics of perch catches. I honestly have never caught a perch in that lake and have been going there since I was 3 years old (so thats 31 years, man I'm getting old). There can't be that many perch around with the way the walleye population is. Our cabin is in the east bay on the southside of the lake. Maybe we'll see you out there.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Many , many years ago the pearch were pleantiful but have declined drastically over the years , most likely to the thriving walleye population . I personally have not seen a perch come out of this lake for over 15 years , heard of the odd one but never believed it actually happened untill this summer , I seen one ! A buddy of mine and I were drifting on a windy day dragging the bottom when he had a bite , what do you know it was about a 10" perch ,completely blew us away ! they are there but very , very hard to find .
Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 PM

Default A crazy idea?

Maybe it's time to start stocking Perch back into places like La Nonne, Saint Anne, and Pigeon. Might help bring back some balance to the beat up (Walleye Protected) lakes.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:26 PM

I agree with you,

All of the larger fish are feasting on the perch. The perch are almost non existent in the lakes mentioned.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 AM

Burbosity. They are there in numbers too.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 AM

Default Burbosity

Yes and lets hope they stay there.

Road hunting is not hunting.