Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Default Fly fishing videos on Youtube?

Anyone have any decent videos they can recommend to watch to pickup fly fishing. I just picked up a kit but really need to improve my technique. I keep bullwhipping the flies into oblivion, could get expensive if I keep blasting them away...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 AM

this is an old video but has alot of useful information,techniques.There is 6 parts but here is the 1st link the others will pop up after you watch the 1st video...Remember it is old and outdated but a great video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvSDj...eature=related
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Those guys at westernsportfishing.com have some nice videos on youtube
Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown303 View Post
Anyone have any decent videos they can recommend to watch to pickup fly fishing. I just picked up a kit but really need to improve my technique. I keep bullwhipping the flies into oblivion, could get expensive if I keep blasting them away...
Use yarn for casting practice instead of flies, it's a lot cheaper to replace a piece of yarn.

If you imagine your rod as the arm of a clock with straight up to your side being 12:00, practice casting your rod between 10:00 and 2:00.

Always stop at the 10:00 & 2:00 sharply but don't jerk the rod between the two positions.

Try to use as little wrist as possible. Instead, keep your wrist locked and try pulling and pushing the rod from 10:00 to 2:00 with your arm and shoulder.

Always let you line roll out and straighten before going into your forward or back cast. This will solve the bull-whip effect.

Always start with your rod tip down and your fly line straight, slack line is a cast killer.

If you concentrate on these points alone, you'll be casting well in no time.

Last edited by Doc; 07-16-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 PM

Well as embarrassing as it is to say I picked up some Scientific Angler DVD from Wholesale today and am sitting here watching it. It's really giving me some good ideas so hopefully tomorrow I can go and give it another go, Also picked up another dozen flies today while I was there.

Well here's hoping I can get this all figured out eventually. Still having a blast anyways, and I pack my casting rod in case I need to fall back on my standard method. Hoping to make the fly fishing my go to method though.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown303 View Post
Well as embarrassing as it is to say I picked up some Scientific Angler DVD from Wholesale today and am sitting here watching it. It's really giving me some good ideas so hopefully tomorrow I can go and give it another go, Also picked up another dozen flies today while I was there.

Well here's hoping I can get this all figured out eventually. Still having a blast anyways, and I pack my casting rod in case I need to fall back on my standard method. Hoping to make the fly fishing my go to method though.
haha iv spent tons of cash on flies to find out you can fish most of the rivers and lakes with 3 patterns.

the how to fly fish videos on youtube work too if the DVD dosent awnser all your questions
Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Anything with April Vokey

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 07-16-2011, 11:30 PM

^Doc just gave you the basics. Those are the best things to focus on, to start.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-17-2011, 01:14 AM

I dare say Lefty Kreh has a few vids on You Tube somewhere, There is likely something with Dan Blanton or Bob Clouser on there ,too.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 AM

The biggest problem with watching videos..is...are they using the same equipment you have? Are they casting a presentation that you use?
Rod speed...line type, make a big diff in technique and timing. Some of today's rods and lines are extremely fast.
Start with the basics suggested above and go from there but i would suggest you team up with a experienced caster and watch him cast your outfit, it will make a huge difference
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Use yarn for casting practice instead of flies, it's a lot cheaper to replace a piece of yarn.

If you imagine your rod as the arm of a clock with straight up to your side being 12:00, practice casting your rod between 10:00 and 2:00.

Always stop at the 10:00 & 2:00 sharply but don't jerk the rod between the two positions.

Try to use as little wrist as possible. Instead, keep your wrist locked and try pulling and pushing the rod from 10:00 to 2:00 with your arm and shoulder.

Always let you line roll out and straighten before going into your forward or back cast. This will solve the bull-whip effect.

Always start with your rod tip down and your fly line straight, slack line is a cast killer.

If you concentrate on these points alone, you'll be casting well in no time.

ecactly how i was taught buy some dude at the gibbons pond years ago he taught me to fly cast with out whipn it around i can cast a longway on a single stroke
Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 AM

The only way to improve your cast is to cast. Go out in your backyard and swing a fly around. Dont use yarn unless your going to be casting yarn to the fish. Use a fly and some safety glasses. Really you dont have to be able to cast more than 20 feet most of the time. start with say, 12 feet of flyline, a 9 foot leader and a size 14 fly already out and swing that until you stop whipping it. When you start making some nice orbits, pull out another 3-4 feet and do it again.
Remember not to use your wrist, or you will snap/whip your fly off.
The best lessons are when you figure them out yourself. Go to a river or creek and practice there. You'll figure it out.

Fishstix!!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Just some more notes and advise. You want to concentrate on you loops first, tight loops like a side ways "u" are what you're after not a "C". Watch your line on your back-cast, make sure it unrolls behind you. Don't worry about the fly for now, you're more interested in the technique, wool is the way to go but if you want to use a fly, use a small, light fly and cut the hook off. It's important to break up casting practice and fishing, if you want to become proficient quickly, don't combine the two. Practice on grass not the water, water is for fishing not practicing. Once your technique is good and you can consistently cast tight loops, then go to the water as you'll never practice enough on water if there are fish to be caught, too many distractions. Between 15 and 20ft of fly line is what you want to be practicing with. Any less than this and there isn't enough line to get a decent load on your rod and any more line than 20ft can give you difficulties until you have good technique, leader length is best at 7-9ft but not all that important.

First get good at casting, then get good at fishing.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Got out on the Bow today and although I was skunked I was getting some decent form in with the rod.