Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Cool Upper Kananskis this weekend....

WELL. Im headed out backpacking at Upper K lake this weekend. Staying at The Point campground. Planning on bringing the flyrod along with my small collection of flies. Also bringing a spinning reel (fits on the flyrod) to chuck hardware if my terrible flyfishing technique fails, as it has in the past , cut me some slack though, this will be my second EVER flyfishing attempt.

Anyhow, I was just wondering what a good choice of lure or fly would be for shorefishing? Does anyone have any sweet spots near The Point campground? Any general advice for shorefishing Upper K? Also what are my chances of catching a bow or cutty 30cm or longer? (For the flamers, I RARELY keep a fish, but theres somthing about a nice 'bow baked in the coals of a campfire in the backcountry.)
Never fished this lake before. Would love to catch a keeper cutty/bow AND/OR hook into my first ever bull.

Tightlines!!!!!!!
'frenzy
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 AM

hey there,
was just out there for canada day weekend, not much success on upper lake on south end, but your on north end. however I caught 2 large bull trout and a big sucker(accidentally) on the lower lake. It was along the creek by the campground mount sarrail, where it enters the lake. worth a try on your way up.... but you cant keep the bull trout
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM

A few weeks ago I had good luck with a green wooleybugger with a red on the tip suspended 4 feet below my indicator, was getting a hit about every 15 minutes (decent fishing by my standards) all cut’s where in the 16 inch range. My buddy got a 20 inch bull on a leach pattern.

We where fishing on the point across from the boat launch, this is not the best place on the lake, however it is out of the wind and some days that is the most important thing.

If you are looking for rainbows you are better off trying the lower lake IMO. Tomorrow I am heading to up that way if I have any good luck I will post a few photos assuming I remember my camera.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM

PM sent
Old 07-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL42 View Post
A few weeks ago I had good luck with a green wooleybugger with a red on the tip suspended 4 feet below my indicator, was getting a hit about every 15 minutes (decent fishing by my standards) all cut’s where in the 16 inch range. My buddy got a 20 inch bull on a leach pattern.

We where fishing on the point across from the boat launch, this is not the best place on the lake, however it is out of the wind and some days that is the most important thing.

If you are looking for rainbows you are better off trying the lower lake IMO. Tomorrow I am heading to up that way if I have any good luck I will post a few photos assuming I remember my camera.

this is good information. olive so far has been a hot color up there. browns and blacks after that. the fish should be looking up more now as well, even though your primary hatches are a good month out up there. use an attractor pattern like a stimmy and madam x with some red/yellow in it. have fun, beautiful spot.

Dace
Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Cool

Well Upper K campground was full so we ended up at Elbow. Not my first-choice but backpacking is fun either way. I caught my first two fish on the flyrod at elbow, nice little brookies! Love fighting fishin on the flyrod, im hoooooked. Now i will need to dump a few hundred bucks into more gear...

Thanks for the help on this thread guys, later this year there's a good chance i will end up at Upper K
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Well Upper K campground was full so we ended up at Elbow. Not my first-choice but backpacking is fun either way. I caught my first two fish on the flyrod at elbow, nice little brookies! Love fighting fishin on the flyrod, im hoooooked. Now i will need to dump a few hundred bucks into more gear...

Thanks for the help on this thread guys, later this year there's a good chance i will end up at Upper K
If you get up to Upper K again, a trip up to Rawson Lake is well worth the hike.