Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Tobin Lake Saskatchewan June 2019

Just returned from two days fishing at Tobin Lake in Sask.

I looked for some time to find a current early summer fishing report and wasn’t able to find much online. So...... in case someone else is wanting some information I figured I would post a report.

We rented a 16.5 foot boat with a 75 hp outboard from Tobin Lake Resort. The boat was well used but clean and ran very well. Cost was $185 per day. Hours were reasonable flexible, they simply required we be back in by 9:00 PM. Didn’t want the boat out after dark. Very understandable as far as I’m concerned. Gasoline to refill was reasonable for a resort facility. The staff was most helpful in drawing reliable fishing locations on their map of Tobin Lake.

I had read many glowing reports of very large northern pike in the fall and big walleye. The folks that rented us the boat told us the fishing should be as good or better the second week of June as it is in September/October but the fish hadn’t put on much weigh yet, so........ expect good fishing but not as heavy this early in the year. His perspective seemed to hold true, for us.

We tried to target large pike at Pelican Point, during the middle of the day. It was fairly slow....... in about 10 hours of fishing, over two days, we caught 10 or 12 northerns, mostly in 24” to 26” size. One smaller and one larger that measured 36”. Weighed right at 12 pounds. Caught the large one on a 7” white swim shad with blue fish head 3/8 oz jig head. The rest were caught on 3” Five of Diamonds.

We fished for walleye a few hundred yards south of the Tobin Lake Resort Marina, straight out from the first point south of the Marina, in 22’ of water.

From 6:00 PM until 8:45 both nights, three of us caught between 40 and 50 walleye, from 10” to 20” in length. We used a pale yellow with black and red eye, fluorescent paint jig baited with a live leech, purchased at the Marina.

As fast as we could get the bait on the bottom and back up 3” to 6” a walleye would take it. A third of the hits would take the bait and we would miss the set, requiring a new leech. They would not take anything but a live leech, hooked a 1/4 behind the head of the leech. Nor would they take it off the bottom or a foot above the bottom. It had to be suspended 3-6” up from the bottom or nothing would happen but once the bait was in that zone. They’d take it. The bite was very soft and you’d only feel the hit when you’d jig the bait upward. If you felt a hit and not fish, you had to rebait. They took the leech and jig 90% of the time.

We returned every fish, had no way to cook them, so back they all went. A Sask fish and game watched us from the point and checked us at our pickup. He was very professional, respectful and helpful. A nice officer and represented Sask fish and game very well.

Hope this information helps someone else what is wanting to fish Tobin Lake.

Last edited by 2lumpy; 06-16-2019 at 01:17 PM.