Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Battle River...finally.

I’ve been watching the Battle River since spring, and last night was the first time that the conditions have been favourable for some fishing. In the 25 years that i’ve been fishing it, I’ve never seen it take so long to drop down and clear up. I usually fish it starting in June, but with all the rain, it just has never come down. It is still quite high but is clearing up now. Caught a few nice walleye, and looking forward to some great fall fishing.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:44 AM

How far downstream are you fishing?! I’ve never fished the Battle River, but I would like too!
Old 08-25-2019, 02:26 PM

Default Battle river...

Brownfield area.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:47 AM

Yeah it's been high, fast, dirty and slow for walleye all year so far and I fish it once a week. Usually by early August the holes are filling up and walleye non stop.....this year its 10 goldeye to 1 walleye and the odd pike in between. But I did find a couple new holes that look promising.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 AM

Default Battle river....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yeah it's been high, fast, dirty and slow for walleye all year so far and I fish it once a week. Usually by early August the holes are filling up and walleye non stop.....this year its 10 goldeye to 1 walleye and the odd pike in between. But I did find a couple new holes that look promising.
Interesting that you caught some goldeye up there. I’m lucky if I catch 1 a year down on this end. Good luck this fall. Should start getting good now.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Interesting that you caught some goldeye up there. I’m lucky if I catch 1 a year down on this end. Good luck this fall. Should start getting good now.
I can catch 20-30 an evening if I target them....small spoons and spinners just below surface. Good size too.