Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Rockfish Action UKee

Fishing for Rockfish can be a lot of fun and provide a great meal. While these fish are long lived and susceptible to overfishing there are a few varieties that are more plentiful. One of those is Black rockfish. The DFO has taken a more proactive measure by reducing limits and closing areas to fishing for Rockfish Conservation areas. Fishing for them is all about finding them. Once you have located them they will aggressively hit all sorts of lures and jigs. When salmon fishing gets slow or the tides are not favorable we head to the rocks for some great rockfish fishing. I know one of my previous how to videos on rockfish was a little sparse on actual verbal information. So here is an action packed video that I hope you will find entertaining and educational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48h9JG3iA4w

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-27-2019, 02:52 AM

another video that is helpful ... well done
Old 08-27-2019, 11:26 AM

you kept some, are they good to eat? something like a ling? tia
Old 08-27-2019, 03:04 PM

Thanks for that, I could almost smell the water. miss that fishing as soon as I head east.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Stupid that the whole pacific limit is three rockfish when most areas of the ocean are simply caked with the things. There should just be a restrictive limit in close to where the masses go. Offshore the things are inexhaustible.

... and yummy!!!!!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:49 PM
AO Sponsor

too many commercials... cant do it
Old 08-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnKokanee View Post
another video that is helpful ... well done
Thanks, just incase anyone is headed to the coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
Oh yeah I would say one of the best eating fish in the sea. We always keep them if we hook them salmon fishing and once in a while go get a limit when fishing is slow. Nice white, flaking, firm fish with a mild flavor. Quite smelly fish after frozen, but once cooked up smells and tastes great. Excellent fish tacos and fish and chips fish. I prefer over ling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
Thanks for that, I could almost smell the water. miss that fishing as soon as I head east.
Oh man that smell is adicting, my heart rate goes up and have trouble sleeping when I get out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Stupid that the whole pacific limit is three rockfish when most areas of the ocean are simply caked with the things. There should just be a restrictive limit in close to where the masses go. Offshore the things are inexhaustible.

... and yummy!!!!!
Yeah the problem is most of those deep water fish are not the target of the sporties. The commercial guys just rape the bottom though. But I guess there is a lot of bottom out there to drag. When I was in California limit was 10 and believe still is. They just restrict retention of certain types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
too many commercials... cant do it
Sorry, there is Add blocking software apparently. Youtube usually only puts one commercial at the beginning. That is all I see. I guess it is the cost of having a free server to upload and view videos. Someone has to pay for it.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 08-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
I've seen them selling rockfish at fish n chips restaurants in the UK, and for what they were charging it can't be too bad tasting
Old 08-28-2019, 04:51 PM

Nice! Yes, in Port Hardy this trip we fished them in 30 FOW in the kelp. Casted out a buzz bomb to get them lookup up and then got them by casting a floating line and fly. Great fun on the fly!
Old 08-28-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice! Yes, in Port Hardy this trip we fished them in 30 FOW in the kelp. Casted out a buzz bomb to get them lookup up and then got them by casting a floating line and fly. Great fun on the fly!
Yeah I'll have to try that sometime!