Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Default My latest Brown -

God I love the colors on my latest brown for the derby post - should call that freaking thing a "Golden Brown" looks so sweet - let it go to see another day. Maybe next year I'll be back and it will be a pound or two heavier !
Old 05-10-2015, 12:42 PM

It's a decent little brown for sure! Wait til fall time when they get their color.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 AM

Yeah nice fish Viggo...sucky part for me is I casted in that pool 100 times and got skunked. You casted once or twice and then yelled "fish on!"...that's nice. But congrats, and you're climbing up the rankings.

Aaron caught a brookie but didn't know...hahahahahahahahahahah...that's some bad luck! Hopefully you catch another! lmao

I see Ricky got a rainbow...never as big as hoped I'm guessing, but a nice one anyway! Got me beat.

Great walleye Raf! Geez, I see I'll have to pick it up a notch...I have my daughter this weekend but maybe she'll want to go fishing :-)

Too bad I got skunked yesterday..had hopes of catching 2 new species...instead got skunked, lost my new net, and almost drowned in the river...fishing sure keeps a guy humble!
Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 PM

Hacman, did you say you caught 6 species in one weekend? If that's true, wow, that's pretty crazy. I'm going to have to come fishing where you go! haha...I guess I could accomplish it, but it would be a lot of running around combined with a lot of luck! I guess experience would help though
Old 05-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Wow Ricky, yet another species. You should calm down and take it easy now ;-)
Old 05-11-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post
Hacman, did you say you caught 6 species in one weekend? If that's true, wow, that's pretty crazy. I'm going to have to come fishing where you go! haha...I guess I could accomplish it, but it would be a lot of running around combined with a lot of luck! I guess experience would help though
Well, I do get around. May have exagerated a bit though, only 5 species this weekend, the 6th was the week before. Thought I'd give you guys a head start.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 PM

My area of the rdr opens on the 15th!!!
Will start to contribute then... hopefully.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Default Nsr

My pics were pretty crappy but I ended up with 3 new species at the NSR last night. The last pic has FreshAirGetter's token and mine in it, just ignore his lol.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:36 PM

I wish I didn't have a fluke brother who catches every fish in the sea...but nice catches Platinum. You're now tied with species with me, and luckily a little less in the inches department. Something tells me after this weekend it'll all change anyway, and sucks I won't be able to fish much but still lots of time..lol. And yes your pics are...less than optimal ;-)

Viggo, how nice of you to post another walleye the same size...I'd probably just post a new fish that's bigger than the last And would be nice if you didn't dirty my board unless it was bigger to boot!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:27 PM

New rule, you guys aren't allowed to fish every single day lol.

It is nice seeing the extra competition. So far 6 members would have placed in top 10 according to last years standings and we aren't even 3 weeks into the derby...

The question is, can they keep it up and are they going to start catching big fish . For anyone contemplating joining don't let the early birds scare you off, there is lots of season remaining.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:11 AM

Thanks Rav for posing the standings. Hey Troy you can stop fishing anytime!!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:53 AM

Haha well with the amount of times I get skunked I need all the time I can get! It's tough being a newb...

I still fish every second weekend for my "main trips" (full day), but now that I lost custody of my daughter I can get out to the river a few nights/week for a couple hours...but don't worry, no need for you guys to panic. After 3 hours of fishing last night all I got was 1 baby walleye. I was in a snag for a lot of it, pulling in a big log (at least I know my hooks and line are strong).

To make matters worse, I tripped in the bush somehow trying to dock the boat and landed on sharp sticks - almost got impaled! Between new holes in my body and about 20 thistles still in my hands and arms, I feel like a war victim. If the fish gods punished me that bad for catching and releasing a little Walleye, what will they do if I catch a Sturgeon? This derby will kill me yet!

Dago, congrats on the Sauger. Last year was my first real year of fishing and that was the final species I had left to catch in my quest to learn how to fish. My brother tried catching them all too and only one fish stood in his way...Sauger...lol. He'll puke when he sees your first post in the derby is that...hahahaha.

And Rav, quit making fun of my baby fish I got a couple nice ones! (well my personal bests...lol)
Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Doh, I didn't look close enough and put Dago's sauger as a walleye, will fix for next standings.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Hey 2 or 3 days a week isn't everyday!lol I have been trying to post only decent fish so far but the pike was for S's and giggles I didn't expect such a small pike where I was fishing that day. And let's not forget Mitchthefisher has biggest goldeye too. I have about 20 missed hookups and chances at Rockies, this is the first year in 10 I haven't caught a rocky already lol little jerks are eluding me.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
Hey 2 or 3 days a week isn't everyday!lol I have been trying to post only decent fish so far but the pike was for S's and giggles I didn't expect such a small pike where I was fishing that day. And let's not forget Mitchthefisher has biggest goldeye too. I have about 20 missed hookups and chances at Rockies, this is the first year in 10 I haven't caught a rocky already lol little jerks are eluding me.
That's some bad luck! Last year I only caught 2 (and my brother had a nightmare of a time to get his - he spent like 4 days straight to catch one). This year though I've already caught 7, and luckily the biggest was on the opening of derby day :-) What a monster that was, compared to the little guys I normally see...
Old 05-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
That's some bad luck! Last year I only caught 2 (and my brother had a nightmare of a time to get his - he spent like 4 days straight to catch one). This year though I've already caught 7, and luckily the biggest was on the opening of derby day :-) What a monster that was, compared to the little guys I normally see...
Yeah that was a big rocky, almost as big as my personal best😉
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
Yeah that was a big rocky, almost as big as my personal best��
lol I don't want to know...ignorance is bliss! Leave me be in my own bubble of glory...lol

Sometimes I think this site is bad for my morale...everyone's like "I couldn't keep them off my hook!" while I struggle to not get skunked. I catch a 2 lbs...someone else catches a 20 lbs...that's nice...lol
Old 05-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Hey guys thought I'd post a pic of my walleye the pic with it measured doesn't do justice. Thanks!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Dumi View Post
Hey guys thought I'd post a pic of my walleye the pic with it measured doesn't do justice. Thanks!

Thats a beaut man!! congrats. Looks like the late night paid off!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Haha thanks Mitch, yeah it did but now I'm a zombie at work..
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM

Yeah nice fish...I'm a good buddy for taking the pic, although there's no denying I had the time

Obviously my river rig sucks ever since I changed it a few days ago after the burbot...I quit the river until next week, and will have to figure out a new rig. Darn fishing.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM

Haha thanks Troy, sorry about the night you had... But you are in the lead so I don't feel that bad
Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM

OG, why do I get the feeling you're not that sorry? And I hear you caught everything in sight last night...you really have to show me what you are doing!!! Remember to be a pal and get good karma ;-) And you'll be sorely missed when you go to Sask, don't worry, the derby will wait on hold for you :-)

Hacman - nice burb. Those are extremely rare for me too...I got lucky this year.

Mitch - nice rocky!

Jhutter - too bad about those lunkers...I wouldn't upset the fish gods though, don't catch any more like that until next year ;-)

SKsniper - welcome to the derby...I like your tag..haha

Ricky - thanks!! Despite me being....let's say slightly frustrated last night with losing everything I was catching...you ended up helping me bring in a beauty Rainbow! Thanks for netting it for me...I seem to always lose them right at the boat, and I fear my casting brother may not have been able to help...lol...yet he was rewarded with the biggest of the night! Don't worry Ricky, the fish gods will reward you with a rocky in short time :-)

Viggo - I hear you're the redtail sucker king...I must admit, they're a gorgeous fish :-)

Hydro - we're still waiting for your first post ;-)

Rav - we're not waiting for any of your posts...no tanks allowed
Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 PM

Hahaha yeah the women did better than everyone though , I have a two month handicap so I better fish faster... And ya I really done feel bad
Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hahaha yeah the women did better than everyone though , I have a two month handicap so I better fish faster... And ya I really done feel bad
2 month handicap? I thought you were only gone for 1? Or do you need a month-long nap from the 1-hour time zone difference? ;-)

P.S. Please have your wife teach me how to fish!
Old 05-15-2015, 02:08 PM

Hahahaha yeah anywhere for 1-2 months who knows could be more. Works gotta get done I suppose
Old 05-15-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha yeah anywhere for 1-2 months who knows could be more. Works gotta get done I suppose
Well it's a good thing you've been fishing every day then...should keep you in the leaderboards while you're away...lol

P.S. I'm glad your wife didn't enter the derby...I hear she caught all the lunkers! Hopefully you don't pick up any of her tips ;-)
Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 PM

We caught three or four of these tanks a few days ago. Anyone know what the record White Sucker would be? I didn't have a tape on me but my cutting board goes up to 23in and it was about 5-6 inches longer than that.

Last edited by pinelakeperch; 05-15-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Well it's a good thing you've been fishing every day then...should keep you in the leaderboards while you're away...lol

P.S. I'm glad your wife didn't enter the derby...I hear she caught all the lunkers! Hopefully you don't pick up any of her tips ;-)
I hope your right, and she's using my tips
Old 05-15-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
We caught three or four of these tanks a few days ago. Anyone know what the record White Sucker would be? I didn't have a tape on me but my cutting board goes up to 23in and it was about 5-6 inches longer than that.

That is a silver redhorse not a white sucker. Nice size one, igfa record is 11 lbs 7 oz but I believe they can be even bigger then that(most people probably don't even think about sucker records lol).