Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Default Fawcett Lake

Just got an invite up to Fawcett Lake next weekend. I'll have my boat so I'll be ready to explore the lake.

I've never fished up there before. I'll be looking over a topo map but am wondering if anyone knows anything they'd like to share.

Prefer to go for Walleye and Perch.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Just got an invite up to Fawcett Lake next weekend. I'll have my boat so I'll be ready to explore the lake.

I've never fished up there before. I'll be looking over a topo map but am wondering if anyone knows anything they'd like to share.

Prefer to go for Walleye and Perch.

Thanks in advance
I'm curious about this lake as well...how's the walleye fishing been lately?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 PM

to get a map of the lake , try googlinge, uofa alberta lakes maps.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 AM

I got a topo map from anglers atlas, there are also some user added points on it. Looking like I'll be fishing the West end of the lake.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Good lake try the south shore bout halfway down the lake in 10 to 7 feet of water and watch for dead heads specialy if waves get big most are near shore
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

We live here and fish it almost every night. Lots of wallys just under legal, lots of pike. The perch have been hit and miss, if you target them youl do ok. We pick up the odd one jiggin for wallys. If it keeps rainin tho theyre gonna close th bridge at town here. Its gettin mighty close lol
Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildnFree View Post
We live here and fish it almost every night. Lots of wallys just under legal, lots of pike. The perch have been hit and miss, if you target them youl do ok. We pick up the odd one jiggin for wallys. If it keeps rainin tho theyre gonna close th bridge at town here. Its gettin mighty close lol
Wow. That would restrict access completly wouldn't it.
Keep us all posted on that bridge. Id hate to drive out there and not be able to get accross.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

If it does actually get higher and they close it you might still be able to access it from the other end at mitsue. I drove by that way the other day and the river is gettin pretty close to the road there too ( the other river). Il let you guys know if it gets closed
Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the update. I was planning to go up to broken paddle this weekend as well.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
If it does actually get higher and they close it you might still be able to access it from the other end at mitsue. I drove by that way the other day and the river is gettin pretty close to the road there too ( the other river). Il let you guys know if it gets closed
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Didn't get much rain here today. Hope it slows up, I need a weekend on the water.

I just installed my lights on the boat so now I'm legal to fish at night. Might try trolling through the night if it's clear. There's a full moon this weekend everyone.

I'm going to be at the provincial campground. Let me know if any of you guys are going out. I'm there Friday afternoon until Sunday.

Do you get cell service out there? I like checking the forum when camping/fishing.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 PM

i going up on aug long stayn in the tent area gonna try for sept long as well
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

With bell or telus youl kinda get it in and out. No rogers tho
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
With bell or telus youl kinda get it in and out. No rogers tho
Thanks for the tip. I have Rogers . Oh well, guess I'll have to spend more time fishing then. Where do you fish the lake? Maybe I'll see you out there.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM

I will be on the east side fishing in front of the island by the narrows. I may also make it as far as the point about 2/3rds of the way down and jig off the break there. That is if the bridge is open on Friday
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Its still open but theres a county truck there alot lately, im assuming keeping an eye on the water level. The Athabasca is still rising and its been raining all day, not looking good at this point.

I usually fish the west side, but im gettin tired of rowing the half mile to my favourite spot lol. The trip back in the pitch black really blows lol. I might just wander over to th east side for a few days, its a shorter row to good fishin lol
Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 PM

iam gonna try the east side if my bud comes along i may be makn solo trip i have what i call a mini bass boat it has casting decks and seat for 2 its got a 40hp does 30mph but it still takes 30min to get to otherside lol
Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Heading up to Fawcett tomorrow and just wanted to know if the bridge is passable.. Really don't want to waste a trip.. Thanks for any info
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Bridge is fine. We just got back today. The river is very high and fast though.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 PM

Well I got out there friday night and got camp setup and then the rain came in. Beer it was. Then woke up early Saturday to more rain. Got on the lake around 10 and the rain went away. We caught a few walleye and pike but nothing legal. After supper I went out again and started trolling flats and ledges. I only got 1 - 45cm walleye, back it went.

Once the sunset I turned on the lights and stayed out. The bugs sucked with the light but I just sucked it up. Trolling a 13cm perch colored jointed floating Rapala in 8' I got a got hit. It was 10:40pm and after a lengthy battle and half a dozen runs i landed a 15lb pike. I weighed it quickly and released it. It wasn't the longest but was fat in the shoulders.

Here are a coouple of bad pictures. Didn't have time to move my measuring stick but that bucket is around 12"

Other than that it was a fairly slow day for me. Also had my niece out and she got a few. Another couple buddies in another boat had the same luck with the small ones. Not too many and not big.

All in all, It was a great day for fishing.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Nice pike man. Sorry i didnt make it back, we ended up driving up to that other lake i was tellin you about (shhhhhhhh lol) and had an AMAZING day. 4 of us caught almost 300 wallys in 16 hrs, average was 3 lbs, lots of 5 and 6 lbers, hands down the most amazing day of fishin ive ever had. Couple of big pike in th mix too, a 10 lb, 15 and a few lost that were bigger.