Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Default The Forks (South saskatchewan)

I want to go camping and and fishing at the forks at the end of july. Was wondering if there was camping there or where the closest camping would be. Also directions would be nice. I have only been there once and that was years ago. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 PM

There is lots of room for camping. You can camp on the Island right at the forks or you can camp along the Oldman river. I camped there on Friday night. I will also be there in the first week of August.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
There is lots of room for camping. You can camp on the Island right at the forks or you can camp along the Oldman river. I camped there on Friday night. I will also be there in the first week of August.
I should be off that week (knock on wood) and hope to make it out for a day or two, perhaps I'll see you there. Will keep an eye out for ya.
Keep them pics a coming

Fishwhisperer,
The camping is also free if u can believe that Pretty rare anything is free these days. BONUS! As far as directions go, just keep your eyes open on the highway, there are small signs, and if in doubt just talk to the locals around Grassy lake or any of the small towns along the way, they will point you in the right direction
One more thing, most the lil hick town stores are closed on Sundays so if your going on a weekend make sure to stock up on bait before you get out there or you may have to drive a ways to get more if ya run out. Learned this one the hard way.
Hi ho, off to bed I go.
Cheers n GL all!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:53 PM

can the island accomodate a camper or is it just tenting? also can you have a fire?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM

yup and yup, as long as the Oldman is low enough to drive onto the island

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Thanks guys, you have been alot of help. I have never fished for sturgeon and was wondering the best way to fish them. My 14 year old son has been bugging me to take him sturgeon fishing and would love to get him on one. Also what is the best way to fish for walleye at the forks?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Default SSR Forks

There are lots of free camping spots at the forks, was in there sat. Water has finally receded. Depends on your camper if your pulling it in or on the back of your truck. First part is a little rough if you dont mind. As for firewood theres more than anyone needs to burn, just go get it. Oh and please be carefull theres lots of cotton which is like gas. Try not to use pickeral rigs for sturgeon as you have read, but saying that i use them for walleye using minnows, leeches, and worms, and consistantly catch both. Only thing i find is using worms i catch way to many suckers ,but to each his own. OH YEAH, CAUGHT MY BIGGEST STURGEON IN MY LIFE 55" last wed. on 2" minnows. GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Yes there are lots of spots for camping on the island.But there are a limited amount of fishing spots on the island.Once the 12 camping spots on the beach are full theres not much room left to fish.There might be room for 15 fishing rods along the beach.And thats the only spot to fish on the island.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:35 PM

What kind of a set up do you use for sturgeon. was thinking kind of a lindy rig that you would use for catfish. A big weight with a 5 foot leader with a circle hook tied to the end.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM

A bunch of us will be there Friday and Saturday next weekend so you can bet we will be pulling in lots of sturgeons. It will be a blast.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
I should be off that week (knock on wood) and hope to make it out for a day or two, perhaps I'll see you there. Will keep an eye out for ya.
Keep them pics a coming

Fishwhisperer,
The camping is also free if u can believe that Pretty rare anything is free these days. BONUS! As far as directions go, just keep your eyes open on the highway, there are small signs, and if in doubt just talk to the locals around Grassy lake or any of the small towns along the way, they will point you in the right direction
One more thing, most the lil hick town stores are closed on Sundays so if your going on a weekend make sure to stock up on bait before you get out there or you may have to drive a ways to get more if ya run out. Learned this one the hard way.
Hi ho, off to bed I go.
Cheers n GL all!
The gas station on the east side of bow island is open on sundays and is the best place in the area for bait. Just ask the casheir as they have the frozen bait in the back room in some freezers.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
What kind of a set up do you use for sturgeon. was thinking kind of a lindy rig that you would use for catfish. A big weight with a 5 foot leader with a circle hook tied to the end.
In the upper right corner of this forum click the "searh this forum" icon and do a lil research. Lotsa info regarding sturg set-ups. There are a few recent threads that should help ya out.
Good Luck.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
The gas station on the east side of bow island is open on sundays and is the best place in the area for bait. Just ask the casheir as they have the frozen bait in the back room in some freezers.
Yeppers.
That's where we ended up going as we were not prepared. It was a spontanious deicision to fish the forks that weekend. Half their worms were rotten and dead in the boxes but they still had plenty. Unfortunatly once we got to the forks it was pretty unaccessable that weekend lol. This was a while back when the rivers were silly high.
Cheers
Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
A bunch of us will be there Friday and Saturday next weekend so you can bet we will be pulling in lots of sturgeons. It will be a blast.
we caught 4 today, gf got 2 3 footers mine werent as big. I let her catch the bigger fish sometimes cause Im such a nice guy

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
we caught 4 today, gf got 2 3 footers mine werent as big. I let her catch the bigger fish sometimes cause Im such a nice guy
Geez Wayne, sounds like your on a roll! Good on ya buddy!
You sure seem to "let" your woman catch the bigger ones alot lately Your way too nice lol! JK
Cheers bud, keep up the great work!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Don't leave anything unattented down there last year i had some ppl take wood right out of my trailer, and this week sometime someone had broken in to my trailer and stole my sturgeon rod and broke in to my storage in the back and took my generator, iam not a happy person right now. i have a few ideas of who did it cuz a certain group of ppl around there have a reputation of stealing. So make ur things are monitored closely.