Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 AM

I live in the area and at night i open my window and listen to the coyotes howl

Guess it might be time to sit with the bow...........
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTrapper View Post
She should have to pay to have the the helicopter and all the emergency services she called to save fluffy
Emergency services and the two EPS helicopters are dispatched at the discretion of the operator taking the call.

Being it was in a dark (unlit) area they obviously decided to send the helicopter with its IR and thermal imaging to keep a eye on the yotes while emergency services worked the area.

She made a call to rescue her dog, someone taking the call made the decision to dispatch who showed up.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake View Post
Emergency services and the two EPS helicopters are dispatched at the discretion of the operator taking the call.

Being it was in a dark (unlit) area they obviously decided to send the helicopter with its IR and thermal imaging to keep a eye on the yotes while emergency services worked the area.

She made a call to rescue her dog, someone taking the call made the decision to dispatch who showed up.
Did we not purchase and do we not support that helicopter to protect people and property?
Is that not what 911 is also for?
Are dogs no longer property?

I look at it this way... sure it might have been a bit of over kill but its good training for the flight crews and that helicopter has been a bit of a waste of cash anyway.
Its also good PR for the EPS.

Can you imagine the discussion here if they'd blown her off because they were too busy and then sent a patrol car around an hour later...just to take her statement?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Did we not purchase and do we not support that helicopter to protect people and property?
Is that not what 911 is also for?
Are dogs no longer property?

I look at it this way... sure it might have been a bit of over kill but its good training for the flight crews and that helicopter has been a bit of a waste of cash anyway.
Its also good PR for the EPS.

Can you imagine the discussion here if they'd blown her off because they were too busy and then sent a patrol car around an hour later...just to take her statement?
Actually my wife works with the EPS and has stated the number of arrests they have made that would have otherwise not occurred without the helicopter have hugely increased. From drivers fleeing, runners etc.

The EPS now operates 2 EC-120 helicopters and on busy nights (weekends) its not uncommon for both to be up in the air.

Lets remember its not as if she went walking off into the ravine with her dogs in a known area with Coyotes, she was walking on the street adjacent to the ravine when the pack approached her and her dogs and the ''attack'' ensued chasing the one dog into the ravine.

Maybe people in these area's should consider carrying bear spray if there is a considerable risk of a Coyote encounter who may have fido on the menu. Just a thought?

And personally I think F & W should be handling these certain groups of ''trouble'' Coyotes similar to how they handle trouble bears etc in places like Banff. Trap and move or make the decision to destroy certain animals that are a little too urbanized. How many times have we seen incidents of kids being stalked by Coyotes? Whats it gonna take? A child getting attacked before we see any real attention being paid to them?

Or better yet someone decides to to lay out poisoned bait for the yotes
in a area with kids and dogs etc… Not a good mix.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Any reports of the City exterminating any of these yotes?

I suspect it has been done, just very quietly....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Until they get rid of all the rabbits, cats, dogs, geese and garbage in the city trying to eliminate the coyotes will be a huge effort in futility.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:56 PM

I bet every major and minor city across Canada has plenty of coyotes in and around the citys. I say whoopty doo.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Any reports of the City exterminating any of these yotes?

I suspect it has been done, just very quietly....
The city is definitely involved with studies.

http://www.edmontonurbancoyotes.ca/

I would think a few are being thinned out quietly but it looks like the city is more interested in co-existing with the urban yodeler.