Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Default colitis?

A friend of mine just got the news on Tuesday that he suffers from this illness, presently in alot of pain, can't eat anything without it going straight through! He is on meds but the doc said it may take a month work.

Anybody have any insight on this nasty condition? Thx
Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Banned

Ya nasty.

Could take longer.

Depends where it is, extent etc
Old 03-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Check out the Canadian Crohn's Colitis Foundation web site.

Apparently it's more prevalent in Alberta for some reason.

If the disease affects your friend's ability to work, they may qualify for a tax benefit.

There are support groups out there - it's always good to find out what others are doing to cope with the disease.

Also, they need to ensure they are screened regularly due to a higher risk of bowel cancer.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
A friend of mine just got the news on Tuesday that he suffers from this illness, presently in alot of pain, can't eat anything without it going straight through! He is on meds but the doc said it may take a month work.

Anybody have any insight on this nasty condition? Thx
I had ulcertive colitis for 4 years and ended up having major surgery. It ended up costing me my whole large intestine. Its a very bad disease that I don't wish anyone to have
Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 PM

The wife has it, infectous collitus, been 4 yrs now., but controlled.
Different severity than ulcerative I believe.
She is on a non dairy and not wheats diet and some meds.
It was bad when she had flare-ups, but she has only 2-3 incidents in the 4 yrs.
It took her near 2 months to shake the symptoms at the start, and now when she takes chances with her diet and when symptoms reoccurr, she can increase meds and usually chase symptoms in a week or 2.
She has been good with diet lately and no symptoms for 6-7 months now.

TBark
Old 03-13-2014, 02:32 PM

They wanted to take my wife's intestines and give her a colosamy bag at 26.

She has had ups and downs but as of a year ago (10+ years later) they didn't even believ she had it.

In the beginning she switched to brown rice and chicken. Avoid seasonings and sauces at first (try a bit of lemon juice).

Lamb is also one of the easiest meats for people to digest so if you like lamb throw that in the rotation.

She also took probiotics regularly.

First year was rough but better then being the 20 year old with the poo-bag.

Eventually she could eat other foods and go by how her body felt on when to go back to basics.

Wish your friend luck. It forces a new lifestyle on you.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM

I went through the pain of trying to figure out my guys the last little while as well, and it was not fun. Hoping he got a scope to confirm, and its not just a family doctors whim.

It'll be a battle of the foods & drinks for sure though. It can be irritated by one thing and accepting of another, a week later its all different. Hope your friend is feeling better soon!

Slivers.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 PM

I was lucky the doctors where able to buld be a pouch out of a piece of my small intestine so I only needed a bag for 3 months I hated that bag worst thing in the world!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:55 PM

Scope was done Monday to confirm, gave him drugs sent him home. He has had bleeding since december. Albert alberta is great as long as your not sick. Many hours in the hospital waiting for a doctor to look at him. Maybe we can use the red queens 45 k to pay for more health care.

Been feeding him eggs, canned fruit, going to be a long road back to a normal life.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:05 PM

My wife was diagnosed with this about 27 years ago..she was very very sick at the beginning until they figured out what she had..she has had many flare ups since,but has learned how to manage to keep things under control fairly well right up to about a year ago right after having to take care of me while i went through cancer treatments in my throat and shoulders..her disease took over and now she has these big lumps in her intestines that block the food from leaving..the Docs say she is not a candidate for surgery just yet as they would have to cut out way to much just to get it all..stress will only make this disease stronger as we have found out as well as diet. She has had a rough ride this past year brought on by me having cancer and coming way to close to death to even explain...this is a terrible disease and yes some meds can help ease the discomfort but it just lays kinda dormant until some sort of trigger sets it off..good luck to your friend on his journey through this nasty disease...hopefully the docs can keep it under control!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Well, if you are going to have to deal with either UC or crohns.... UC can be cured with radical surgery. I had severe UC, and like 257, had an internal j-pouch created after the removal of my large intestine. Best decision I made regarding that disease. Hey, I have no worry about ever having to deal with colon cancer. Tbere is a good online support group at j-pouch.org. Folks there are a lot like the AO, crowd less the drama. Where else do you go to talk colon?.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Default colitis

I was just diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last month. I was off work for over a month and lost 30 lbs. However, after being on medication and watching what I eat the last few weeks I'm feeling almost 100% back to normal. This is not a fun disease and I feel for anyone that has it. I hope your friend gets better soon.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM

Diagnosis typically takes some time and getting an appt with a GI is painfull. Losing 30 lbs in a month is not tough when having a flare. Every outing has to be coordinated with a thorough knowledge of bathroom locations. I know a chap that has been in remission for ten years... Some of the immune system suppresants need to be monitored closely. During tne time I spent on j-pouch.org I made lots of "bum" buddies
Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 PM

Default Remicade offers hope

Remicade works wonders on this disease. Demand your doctor consider it as part of the treatment.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur1005 View Post
Remicade works wonders on this disease. Demand your doctor consider it as part of the treatment.
My wife suffers from crohns and has been on remicade for approx 3 months works wonders on her but thank god for benifits because her treatments are. Around 4000 every 8 weeks.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Well, if you are going to have to deal with either UC or crohns.... UC can be cured with radical surgery. I had severe UC, and like 257, had an internal j-pouch created after the removal of my large intestine. Best decision I made regarding that disease. Hey, I have no worry about ever having to deal with colon cancer. Tbere is a good online support group at j-pouch.org. Folks there are a lot like the AO, crowd less the drama. Where else do you go to talk colon?.
Hey rem do you still find that you have to watch what you eat? I still have to stay away from certain things but at least it is controllable. No doubt it is a major operation I sum it up as the best worst time of my life.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM

My Dad suffers from this. He is on meds and as long as he watches what he eats, he is in pretty good shape. One thing to be aware of is the use of oral antibiotics for any other problems you might have. At least with my Dad, he needs to have his antibiotics by IV. If he takes them orally, it screws up his guts and he has a flare up. It's a lot easier to maintain the system than it is to get it working again after an upset.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257wbyhunter View Post
Hey rem do you still find that you have to watch what you eat? I still have to stay away from certain things but at least it is controllable. No doubt it is a major operation I sum it up as the best worst time of my life.
I too had a pretty rough recovery time after Step 1 surgery which made the take-down 2 months later a breeze....but after severe UC, the internal j-pouch was my best (no regrets) option. One of my fondest post surgery memories is all the ice cream lathered in syrup I consumed to regain weight. I have no issues with any food and although everyone is different, IMO it just takes time and metamucil to get things in balance. I am 8yrs post surgery, spend a night in ER about every two years with self inflicted blockages.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Went through a 12 year period with SEVERE attacks of abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea - like bullet in the head bad. No diagnosis stuck, everything from food poisoning to Crohn's and other IBDs. Appendix blew at 31, bloody near killed me, they took it and a couple inches of intestine that was shot full of holes right beside it, but once I healed up, I am now 6 years with no relapse. Bottom line, this is hard stuff to diagnose. They still don't know what I had, because most Drs don't seem to think chronic appendicitis is real, but generally, appendectomy doesn't cure Crohn's.

Took about 18 months to eat lettuce again, or drink coffee, but today I am able to process most anything. Always wonder if I am going to get it again, but the last 6 years have been great.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:37 PM

I've looked up remicade and it seems to help everyone that has tried it. It's only day 5 right now and really no improvement, many many trips to the john during the night, hardly anything taken in as solid food. Using probiotics as well, it seems like it the trips to john
may slightly getting better, but still too early to tell. Trying alittle brown rice today to see what happens.

Thx everyone for the understanding and help. It's good to see he is not alone in his battle.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I've looked up remicade and it seems to help everyone that has tried it. It's only day 5 right now and really no improvement, many many trips to the john during the night, hardly anything taken in as solid food. Using probiotics as well, it seems like it the trips to john
may slightly getting better, but still too early to tell. Trying alittle brown rice today to see what happens.

Thx everyone for the understanding and help. It's good to see he is not alone in his battle.
I assume he's on high dose steroids like 50 mg prednisone ?
Avoid the rice etc until the drugs control the flare. Stick with liquid or low residue diet until then. Rest the colon while the drugs get things under control. High fiber will help later but now just cause more trips to the loo.
Drink warm broth.
Best of luck. It's a bad deal for sure.
Edit- because of the cost most insurance only cover remicade after several cheaper options have failed.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Banned

My 15 year old cousin has colitis, she suffered. I'll have to see what she was given, but she's in remission at the moment. Think it was prednisone. Strict diet and vitamin D is her life at the moment.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
I assume he's on high dose steroids like 50 mg prednisone ?
Avoid the rice etc until the drugs control the flare. Stick with liquid or low residue diet until then. Rest the colon while the drugs get things under control. High fiber will help later but now just cause more trips to the loo.
Drink warm broth.
Best of luck. It's a bad deal for sure.
Edit- because of the cost most insurance only cover remicade after several cheaper options have failed.
Excellent advice. Even with mushroom soup, you strain the mushrooms out!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:

chewy tell him to cut out all caffeine pop,coffee,chocolate anything with caffeine is hard on the guts. you wont find a doctor that will prescribe remicade right off the bat because of the cost. insurance companys will not cover it until they know every other medication has been tried. it took my wife the better part of 10 years to get it prescribed to her.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:35 PM

Okay currently he is on 40 mg of prednisone and anti inflammatory called mezavant to calm colon 5 mg daily. All liquid diet soup broth, yogurt with probiotics eggs and egg noodles. Electrolyte replacement in the water to keep hydrated. Thx again to everyone for the help.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:32 PM

Had ulcerative for 4 years up and down with prednisone until finally had surgery and had my large removed.. best thing I ever did . Lost 70 pounds in a year and a half. Now have it all back. Was a bag buddy for a year...drug complications...then twisted my small so more surgery...now good to go just have to watch out for gassy foods...
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM

It's always surprising to find so many that suffter from the various incarnations of IBD. Still seems to be some stigma regarding "sharing" below the belt issues. One thing about us folks that dealt with colon loss .. after all the years of colonoscopy's, hospitalizations where every intern needs a look, hospital gowns that are open in the back .... we can talk about it over dinner because we realize modesty is a fleeting concept
Old 03-16-2014, 12:52 PM

I also wanted to mention he needs to stay away from NSAIDs. For pain relief Tylenol is usually ok but not Advil (ibuprofen).
Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
after all the years of colonoscopy's, hospitalizations where every intern needs a look, hospital gowns that are open in the back .... we can talk about it over dinner because we realize modesty is a fleeting concept
Haha! Nailed it.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 PM

Seems that the medicine is starting to work he almost slept the whole night only one bathroom break.