Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 PM

Default Coyote pack attacks dog in river valley

Quote:
Emergency crews descended on a Terwillegar neighbourhood Thursday evening, after a pack of nine coyotes went after a woman and her three dogs walking on a trail in the river valley.

One dog was injured by the coyotes, and was taken for emergency veterinary care.

Edmonton Fire Rescue district chief Ron Sawchuk said the woman was walking her dogs along the embankment when she was approached by a pack of coyotes.

Sawchuk said the coyotes separated the smallest dog, and chased into a patch of ice down the steep embankment.

The woman followed down the embankment attempting to scare the coyotes away, but realized it wasn’t safe to go on the thin ice, and couldn’t get back up the steep embankment. She called 911 from a cellphone.

Sawchuk said police, fire and EMS attended the scene, with Air 1 providing light from overhead.

Fire crews brought the woman and her two bigger dogs up first, then successfully rescued the smaller dog from the ice.

The dog had been injured by the coyotes and was taken to the vet by police. Sawchuk said he did not know the extent of the dog’s injuries.

The woman’s legs were smeared with mud and she appeared very shaken as she got in a police car to be taken to the veterinarian.

Sawchuk said a number of coyotes were still in the area when emergency crews arrived, and police were there to protect other emergency workers.

No shots were fired at any coyotes.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...122/story.html
I've seen one here or there while living in Edmonton, but a pack of nine?

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-14-2014, 12:20 AM

When I lived in a highrise overlooking victoria golf course I watched a pack of 5 all year round. They were there daily and howled every night so they lived there.
I would bet there are more yappers than you think in the city. Urban coyotes are a different breed. Highly nocturnal and wary. This time of the year and with lots of snow the coyotes run as packs more so.

I sometimes think they commute into the suburbs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyotemax1-1.jpg (15.0 KB, 237 views)
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 AM

I've seen tons in the city. Had three in our yard middle of the city two years ago. I think it's part of the reason you see so many missing per signs around.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 AM

Drive the west leg of the henday, between HWY 2 and whitemud, almost guaranteed to see a couple. Saw 8 in that stretch last week.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

I sometimes think they commute into the suburbs...
Just another contributor to urban sprawl!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM

Studies done by the University of Calgary show that there are 750+ yotes within Calgary city limits. I'd imagine Edmonton is similar.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Drive the west leg of the henday, between HWY 2 and whitemud, almost guaranteed to see a couple. Saw 8 in that stretch last week.
X2.....I see them everyday....at least a couple and usually a lot more.

LC
Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote "... The woman’s legs were smeared with mud and she appeared very shaken as she got in a police car to be taken to the veterinarian."

Gosh, is Alberta Healthcare that overloaded?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM

git yer guns boys... let go puppy smashing.(jk) I could just imaging the old lady loosing her mind as little fluffy was being drug down to the river.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
Quote "... The woman’s legs were smeared with mud and she appeared very shaken as she got in a police car to be taken to the veterinarian."

Lol....I chuckled when I read that too.

LC
Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpacc View Post
Studies done by the University of Calgary show that there are 750+ yotes within Calgary city limits. I'd imagine Edmonton is similar.
Must be the same group that counted the grizzlies. I wouldn't be surprised if the # was 3-4 times that.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Watched one everyday from my office window 0n 76ave 26st catch mice in the overflow pond. Would come right up to the building.

We also had 2 geese build a nest on the office roof and everyone thought that was cool. Until of course the goslings hatched and the parents started attacking people coming and going in the parking lot. F&W were called and the family was removed.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post

Shorter waiting time and better trained Physicians.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Funny thing today with all this coyote talk.....

I was picking up my parts in an industrial area this morning just off of 149th....as I come out the door I look and 10 feet away is a nice sized male coyote....so I whistle at him and he stops and looks at me....too bad my phone was in the car or I would have snapped a picture.

He was not worried in the least and a couple more people came out to see him, I guess he is a frequent visitor and last time he was by he had a rabbit in his jaws.

LC
Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 PM

It was never a problem when we carried rifles in the rear window of pickups, if a vehicle even slowed down they high tailed it for the bush. Some how I still can't feel sorry for society. But I wouldn't let your small kids play in the yard, if I were you.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

"I was picking up my parts in an industrial area this morning just off of 149th"

Gosh Lefty, I'll bet that hurt. Lucky you got to them before that coyote did.

Wonder if that woman will be charged with harassing wildlife? The coyotes were here first you know.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-14-2014, 07:59 PM

She should have to pay to have the the helicopter and all the emergency services she called to save fluffy
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 PM

It's funny, Incredigirl and I were just talking last night about how many bears, cougars, wolves and coyotes would technically be within the city limits on any given night.

This stemmed from a conversation she had earlier in the day with people that thought that bears only lived in the mountains.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTrapper View Post
She should have to pay to have the the helicopter and all the emergency services she called to save fluffy
I love my dog more then....well I LIKE my wife alot.....but i agree alot of money into operation rescue appetizer lol

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 AM

Default Have't seen them, but have heard them.

Live in the SE corner of Edmonton. Mobile home community surrounded by agriculture & industrial. Lots of rabbits, summertime lots of geese. Sort of a small town area on its own. Never have seen coyote or deer in the community.

Have a friend that lives close to 199 St & south of 23 Ave. Have seen deer, moose, beaver, ducks, geese, porcupine, eagle. Saw coyote only once but sure have heard them around sundown - sounds like dozens.

I have also spotted pheasant and fox in the city. This city is full of wildlife. I have also heard that there have been bear and cougar spotted in the river valley. Unsubstantiated, so can't be positive, but wouldn't be surprised.

cgs

"If you can't be kind, be silent." Anon.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 AM

Updated video from last night's news:

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/woman-res...otes-1.1728995

If I had a family of them living in my backyard every spring I don't think I'd be quite that calm.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Had two coyotes in my front yard weeks ago wanted to plug them both but then I would be the bad guy if I put a pellet to there head
Old 03-15-2014, 12:55 PM

I have seen a pack of 8 to 12 there for most of the fall their dens are on the slump just below Whitemud road , where the houses are falling in (oh those poor rich people!!) every time I went by in my boat I saw them, and one time there was a dead deer there that they feasted on for a week. There is a great little fishing spot there and they would be watching from the bushes, left a sucker fish for them and it was gone before the boat was turned.. :}
Old 03-15-2014, 04:06 PM

I know Coyotes are scattered through out the city.

The Area of blackmud creek ravine near 111st and Saddleback road right on through the Terwilliger area has a large population that I see on a near regular basis when walking the paved trails they have built in the area.

A few of them seem to be pretty ballsy and won't even budge from people walking near them.

I think it might be time for a bit of culling in trouble zones by F & W.

Lots of kids in this area not to mention people walking dogs (On leash).

Last edited by wake; 03-15-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I have shot easily 12 Yotes that have paced my dog, my wife when she cross country runs just to have me come back it ensure closure on the Yotes life! Not all are bold but get a group of ones that need adjustment there can be huge consequences. Threaten my life or the people I love and there is one shot, one kill, amazing how some of these Ypres get so bold but it is easily fixed, trust me.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Banned

I was in the river valley a few days ago and seen quite a few coyotes.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 PM

since this thread is talking about edmonton coyotes....
Here is a good link to check out. It seems Edmonton & the U of A has project. People can help them by completing their survey and people can get involved in the project.

http://www.edmontonurbancoyotes.ca/
Old 03-16-2014, 11:33 PM

I've got coyotes galore in my back yard and I've shot many since building this house 4 years ago. In the area of 40-60 literally lost count a long time ago.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I've got coyotes galore in my back yard and I've shot many since building this house 4 years ago. In the area of 40-60 literally lost count a long time ago.
Sounds like you have built your house on a ancient coyote burial ground. Or at least it is now.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 PM

Ancient something lol. In my dad's field.
Lots of buffalo skulls, arrow heads, lots of cool stuff and apparently a secret coyote farm somewhere. Seemingly little dent in them too.