Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-15-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
What does afga do with that money?

This one question alone shows just how little you know of how the raffle is managed and run.

AFGA administers the raffle. The only money AFGA makes on the raffle is the agreed-to administration fee & cost of running the MSL programme for the Alberta raffle and the auction in Reno. The bulk of the money raised is returned to AEP for their redistribution to various conservation groups and projects.

All AFGA members are aware this is the situation.

Vic
Old 08-15-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post

Anyone who has a problem with the minister draw is just jealous. If they abolish it, there’s no extra hunting opportunity for those complaining and it’s thousands of dollars gone.
Bingo. Everyone has a very reasonable time frame to purchase tickets. I buy my 5 or 10, and I could care less if Tom Foss or Wayne Bowd or Calvin buys the rest. My odds stay the same.

This whole "equality of outcome" mindset is very concerning.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:57 PM

Money always talks!
Old 08-15-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl170 View Post
Money always talks!
Did you not get all the tags you wanted?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
If this lottery was such a good money making deal then why wouldn’t afga have the winners posted on their website? It’s not hard to figure out how much money is raised by the proceeds of this lottery. What does afga do with that money? Likely not much in terms of sheep habitat restoration. Not much in terms of CWD research. Not much in terms of landowner access or property acquisition. In my opinion this is just what it is. A way for a select few cronies to dig deep and solve a few mid life crisis’. Moose river guy, math is hard. The odds of selecting 1 ticket in 5000 are all the same, except if the other 4999 are held by a minimal amount of owners. You’re right, it can happen. What I’m saying, if Afga wanted to make some real money to do good things, there are better things to raffle off and be able to raise more money for good projects that cost the money that they’re always saying they’re short of. Take a look around at other jurisdictions in North America and see what they’re doing and fundraiser accordingly.
Calvin , I really think that you need to become a member of the AFGA and put some of your energy into helping make the outdoors opportunities in Alberta better for all . You will also have a better sense of what it takes to put the changes you suggest in place . Have a good day .
Old 08-16-2020, 10:39 AM

Most of you folks that have commented seem to have missed my point but maybe I’m not that good at getting it across. I looked at my 6 tickets that I purchased to see that there is a total of 20,500 tickets, at $10 per ticket the total amount raised for this is $205,000. That is all that these 3 draws bring in for 3 of the best hunting experiences one could have in this country. I don’t think in Canada you could combine these 3 species and have a legitimate opportunity to harvest such an outstanding species. The Edmonton Oilers just had a 50/50 draw prior to this last one not yet completed that raised $5 million to be split 2 ways for a hockey game that nobody was at. This draw is such an underrated draw and the proceeds albeit welcome to the clubs that benefit from it are a mere pittance to what is needed for the Afga to become a legitimate group doing great things for wildlife in this province. My main point of contention with this draw is that the amount raised for todays needs. It needs an overhaul in my opinion. The continuation of it only makes me think that the people running it and the people winning are satisfied with the way it is and that makes me think it’s just as I said before, an old boys club type mentality.
Time after time I hear of hunters in this province that have travelled to other areas of North America and hear the stories of how wildlife mgmt is handled in other areas. Why can’t we do this or that here is the question most often asked. It always comes down to money raised is never enough. When opportunities such as this are already here, the organizations such as Afga need to get into the process and realize their full potential. For those of you that buy a couple of tickets and don’t care who wins, that sort of thinking escapes me. You should care where your money goes and you should vote with your dollars to make sure your happy with the results.
Crazy fish, you’re completely correct that I should put more effort into what I’m whining about. Very correct. I have been involved in the past and believe me that is a process akin to beating ones head against a wall. I went to a meeting one time and 15 minutes was spent talking about a ‘patch’ to be designed for people to see onto whatever they felt necessary. I lost my my mind on that one and never returned. That is just one of my instances that made me realize this organization is doomed in my opinion.
As I said before, if the mandate of this organization doesn’t change and if this draw continues in its present form I’m quite likely to never buy another ticket again. That is where I vote is with my dollars and will not support. These people running this draw need to understand what they have in their possession and the realization of its potential.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
My main point of contention with this draw is that the amount raised for todays needs. It needs an overhaul in my opinion. The continuation of it only makes me think that the people running it and the people winning are satisfied with the way it is and that makes me think it’s just as I said before, an old boys club type mentality.

What are your specific suggestions for the MSL and how it is used to raise money for Alberta conservation?

The combined draws in Alberta (restricted to Alberta residents win WIN cards) and the auction in Reno, using a total of 6 tags, raises something between $500,000 and $750,000 annually for conservation activities only (these are restricted funds and cannot be used for anything else) in this province alone.

On the Alberta raffle side, tickets are $10 a piece, and most years, do not quite sell out for some tags. That was not historically true when certain well-heeled individuals bought all the tickets. That is no longer the case.

Raising the ticket price will likely not increase total ticket revenues, and could very likely reduce them.

Vic
Old 08-16-2020, 07:54 PM

Vic, thanks for the question.
The way I feel this to move forward would start at adding 2 tags. A tag for moose and an antelope tag as well. Make the cost of the ticket $50, leave the amount of tickets at 20,000, and finally make the draw for pick of the tags. 1st ticket pulled gets 1st pick of the 5 tags. That gives a million dollars towards projects in this province and I think a pretty easy sell for those involved. Make the tickets available at draw times in June and have AlbertaRELM handle the online ticket sales. I’m totally unaware how that may or may not work. That for me is the only way I would buy another one of these tickets.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Vic, thanks for the question.
The way I feel this to move forward would start at adding 2 tags. A tag for moose and an antelope tag as well. Make the cost of the ticket $50, leave the amount of tickets at 20,000, and finally make the draw for pick of the tags. 1st ticket pulled gets 1st pick of the 5 tags. That gives a million dollars towards projects in this province and I think a pretty easy sell for those involved. Make the tickets available at draw times in June and have AlbertaRELM handle the online ticket sales. I’m totally unaware how that may or may not work. That for me is the only way I would buy another one of these tickets.
Going this route would essentially be the end of these permits
The people who buy a lot of tickets, have a specific species in mind when they are buying
They don’t sell out at $10 they definitely won’t sell out at $50
If all tickets are entered in the same draw
What happens if one person wins more than one of them?
Adding moose and and antelope won’t help raise any significant amount of money
Alberta has not been managed for trophy animals
Cwd culls for mule deer
Suffield elk eradication
Predator mismanagement in the 400’s
Add all the new non regulated hunters
Alberta is not what it used to be

If you wanted to increase sales you would make the draws available to non residents.
You could make them for a calander year

Or add a grizzly auction and raffle
Old 08-27-2020, 08:16 AM

Correct me if Im wrong but doesn't buying more tickets increase our odds of winning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Bingo. Everyone has a very reasonable time frame to purchase tickets. I buy my 5 or 10, and I could care less if Tom Foss or Wayne Bowd or Calvin buys the rest. My odds stay the same.

This whole "equality of outcome" mindset is very concerning.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beached Whale View Post
Correct me if Im wrong but doesn't buying more tickets increase our odds of winning?
He is saying that his limit is 5 or 10 tickets so it doesn't matter who buys the rest. His personal odds don't change if a single person buys the rest of the tickets or if 5000 people buy the rest of the tickets. He still gets his 5 or 10 tickets and those are his odds.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Odds do not increase for tickets by the number of tickets bought, the odds only increase by the number of chances an individual has.
Example: 10,000 tickets for sale (and sold) and person “X” buys one. That person has a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning once. If person “Y” buts 100 tickets, that person has a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning 100 times.