Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 PM

Default Sheep area wmu, foot access only

Im wondering if there was ever a motion put foreward to implement a wmu for the sole purpose of hunting sheep by foot access. Just wantd to get some insight, hear everyones ideas and comments about this idea. No quads, no horses.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 AM

I'd be interested in the ATV ban, but see absolutely no valid reason why horses should be banned. Saying horses should be banned is like saying moose shouldn't be allowed to walk through the WMU.

Edit - Ive never hunted from horses in my life, strictlY backpack, but just can't fathom what issue guys would have with using horses. All it does is make a good portion of the WMU inaccesible, as not too many guys are gonna hike in the distance horse guys go, knock down a sheep and pack out.

Last edited by 300magman; 02-05-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:26 AM

The Ghost wilderness area would be a perfect place for a foot hunt only! Totally underutilized area in Alberta! Less than a dozen tree huggers a year venture in there.
Bluedog
Old 02-05-2016, 07:39 AM

Default Foot access only

I've seen trails where the horses have caused more erosion than quads hands down. Add to that the possibility of disease and weeds being carried in by horses and the damage that can be caused to the higher alpine areas by grazing and you've got an argument. I still think it won't fly though.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Default horses

Well I hunt from horseback all the time.We leave very little evidence behind.All motorized vehicles do far more damage imo .Backpack hunters are more succesful in the mountains than we are.Much of our time is spent tending to our stock.We do this not because it is easier but because we are horseman, our culture and our history.I backpack hunt too.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:26 AM

Hunt in the Willmore. No quads......few horses. Saw other hunters in staging areas with horses but never saw any on while hunting.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 PM

Area set aside for the backpacker only, is what im putting out there. There is a wmu set aside for the bow hunter why not the backpacker.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornram View Post
Area set aside for the backpacker only, is what im putting out there. There is a wmu set aside for the bow hunter why not the backpacker.
I like that idea . I've been backpacking in tired and in pain glad I made it to my location to see people ride on past with fresh legs haha
Not saying there is anything bad about it id ride in if I could have . Working on getting my horses to be more usable this summer I fact even if they just carry camp and friends bring them back out for me so I don't have to tend to them.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornram View Post
There are sheep zones with limited or/and restricted atv access..
Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 AM

I know of a few areas that are basically foot access only and in good sheep country as well. One trail even has a time restriction on equine access.

In regards to horses cause more damage than ATV's, I would be interested to see these areas?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 AM

I vote all wmus. Ban atvs for hunting. Game will just live closer and the fitter human has better chance.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
I vote all wmus. Ban atvs for hunting. Game will just live closer and the fitter human has better chance.

I agree in the case of mountain hunting and hunting on crown land, but hunting private property should be left to the landowners discretion for ATV access.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Hunt in the Willmore. No quads......few horses. Saw other hunters in staging areas with horses but never saw any on while hunting.
oh man, i saw so many other hunters in wilmore most of them on horses.

anyway i like the idea it's one step closer to banning hunting all together
Old 02-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Ban, ban , ban, bla,bla, bla....
Maybe atv hunters can try to get horse and hikers banned from certain areas or jetboat hunters can get canoes banned.

Hunt hard, hunt smart, scout year round, hunt at the right time of year, network with like minded people, lay down some boot leather and make your own luck.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:28 AM

I've hunted horse and atv and trust me horses leave a mess, chew all the bark on trees overnight , paw at the roots. The reason it's not noticeable is there is way less horses used than quads. And if you can take a quad there lots more will follow , non hunters especially just out quadding.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
I've hunted horse and atv and trust me horses leave a mess, chew all the bark on trees overnight , paw at the roots. The reason it's not noticeable is there is way less horses used than quads. And if you can take a quad there lots more will follow , non hunters especially just out quadding.
They wont eat bark or paw roots if they have proper feed in front of them.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker View Post
atv's don't dig holes if you don't spin the tires

we as hunters can ban each other until we aren't hunting anymore or we can just hunt.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
atv's don't dig holes if you don't spin the tires

we as hunters can ban each other until we aren't hunting anymore or we can just hunt.
I don't recall saying anything about banning anyone!
Old 02-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.tinsmith View Post
Well I hunt from horseback all the time.We leave very little evidence behind.All motorized vehicles do far more damage imo .Backpack hunters are more succesful in the mountains than we are.Much of our time is spent tending to our stock.We do this not because it is easier but because we are horseman, our culture and our history.I backpack hunt too.
X2
Old 02-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't recall saying anything about banning anyone!
no no not specifically you just the trend of the thread. i'd like to see fair access for everyone who hunts personally
Old 02-10-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
And if you put them on a highline, no damage to trees.

Grizz
Old 02-10-2016, 06:28 PM

Horses do make a real mess of the trails when it's wet, and it is kind of annoying to walk in those wet ruts.

That being said without horses there originally there wouldn't be a trail at all, so I take the good with the bad
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 PM

I think that it is a good idea to consider. It would certainly create some cool opportunities and would put everyone on an equal playing field. Some of my favourite sheep hunting was done after the flood year. It was pretty quiet in some of those valleys. 😀
Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.tinsmith View Post
Try walking on a horse trail there shoes rip it up
Old 02-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
steep and muddy trails that get ripped up are a perfect recipe for someone with a heavy pack to get hurt.

been there and had to skirt around those sections of the trail

but i'm sure it happens anyway and like tork said it's guys on horses that make the trails and maintain them
Old 02-14-2016, 10:48 AM

I get really tired of who does what to what trails in the backcountry. The back packers hate horse guys because we can ride in further and its easier, true. But there is more work that goes into a trip with horses. I have a real hard time believing that a backpacker can hike in to the back country and if successful come out with all his gear plus the sheep, without making multiple trips. And who ever says that horses cause more damage than ATV really need to get there head examined, have you left the keyboard and seen the destruction of trails by atvs. I suppose all the damage the horse people do is the reason ATV access is being restricted more and more. Im all for equal access but when you come on here saying BS and these guys need to be banned and we should have our own area, give your head a shake.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
The Ghost wilderness area would be a perfect place for a foot hunt only! Totally underutilized area in Alberta! Less than a dozen tree huggers a year venture in there.
Bluedog

All the Wilderness areas, except the Willmore, were established to serve as comparison standards for the rest of the Eastern Slopes area, hence all the restrictions. Can't see them allowing hunting there, heck you can't even fish.

Grizz
Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
If I were backpacking I am seldom on a trail-I'm climbing the mountain .Backpack hunters are more successful by far.I do both.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I've seen trails where the horses have caused more erosion than quads hands down. Add to that the possibility of disease and weeds being carried in by horses and the damage that can be caused to the higher alpine areas by grazing and you've got an argument. I still think it won't fly though.
Here is some interesting information on the damage to trails and who is responsible.
https://www.facebook.com/DATEdamagedalbertaterrain/
Old 02-23-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofrot View Post
I have a real hard time believing that a backpacker can hike in to the back country and if successful come out with all his gear plus the sheep, without making multiple trips.
I'm not the first or the last guy to have done this. read some stories of successful hunts and you'll soon see it's quite common.
Besides that, what's wrong with making multiple trips?