Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Banned

Default Is Walmart inventing their own gun laws??

Seen this sign posted on the ammunition case at my local Walmart.(Deerfoot Meadows Calgary next to WSS)
Can somebody please explain what "ML" refers to,and if it refers to Muzzle Loader(?) just wutdahell exactly is a Muzzleloader licence and since when do I need to show anything to buy black powder or any other reloading components for that matter?
Is this some new law I'm not aware of or just Walmart policy and yet another reason to hate Walmart??
.......not that any Walmart that I'm aware of stocks real BP,roundballs,or any other traditional ML gear that I'd be interested in anyhow...
Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Yes you are required by federal law to show a pal/pol or ml (minors license) to purchase manufactured ammunition
Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanvk View Post
Yes you are required by federal law to show a pal/pol or ml (minors license) to purchase manufactured ammunition
So "ML" stands for Minor's Licence?
Whodathunkit??
Well then that's good that it's not Muzzleloaders....half the reason I started hunting with flinters is so the govt could kizzmy***** because I refused to comply with their BS registry and PAL.
.....and Walmart still sux anyhow,but thx for clearing that up for me.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 PM

Since when does Walmart sell BP or round ball Grinr? Lol.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanvk View Post
And this applies to all stores not just at Walmart.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Bass pro makes it's own gun laws. Went there with my son to buy a 22 and when I handed my son the rifle to shoulder the salesdummy freeked out, saying becuase of liabilty he could not hold the gun. I bought other rifles with my son there and it was never a problem. After I threw my bass pro card on the counter and told them I was done with bass pro forever, I went to wholesale and Can tire on Mcloud and no problem with my son holding the firearm there. What a bunch of idiots. Had other issues with that place, but that was the straw that broke my back. Called the firearms manager today and left a massage. Doubt I will ever hear back. Going to send a letter to head office in the states to and tell them to run the Canadian stores with some level of pride. I have lots more stories about that place but that would be a different post. Ammo in the open were kids could steal it is not a liabilty but holding a unloaded rifle is. IDIOTS!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Bass pro makes it's own gun laws. Went there with my son to buy a 22 and when I handed my son the rifle to shoulder the salesdummy freeked out, saying becuase of liabilty he could not hold the gun. I bought other rifles with my son there and it was never a problem. After I threw my bass pro card on the counter and told them I was done with bass pro forever, I went to wholesale and Can tire on Mcloud and no problem with my son holding the firearm there. What a bunch of idiots. Had other issues with that place, but that was the straw that broke my back. Called the firearms manager today and left a massage. Doubt I will ever hear back. Going to send a letter to head office in the states to and tell them to run the Canadian stores with some level of pride. I have lots more stories about that place but that would be a different post. Ammo in the open were kids could steal it is not a liabilty but holding a unloaded rifle is. IDIOTS!
Huh, this has never happened to me. I am 14 and have been holding/shouldering guns since I was about 10. I guess it is just the sales person, although there is a rule about this.

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 PM

Was it a shiatsu massage? Did it have a happy ending? Maybe that has something to with why he didn't call you back.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 PM

Are you the manager a bass pro shop or the forum spell checker. I will make sure I run spell check when I send my letter to bass pro corprate office. Bass pro is not worth the drive and I live in Airdrie.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 09-20-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Bass pro makes it's own gun laws. Went there with my son to buy a 22 and when I handed my son the rifle to shoulder the salesdummy freeked out, saying becuase of liabilty he could not hold the gun....... Doubt I will ever hear back. Going to send a letter to head office in the states to and tell them to .....
I hope you send that letter. I send quite a few letters, emails, and have had many blunt chats with store managers.

The only way this kind of crap gets put back into the porcelain bowl where it belongs is if we all speak up - every time. The reason things got so stuffed up in the first place is that we were quiet for years while the bobble heads were all sending letters, talking to store managers, sending letters to politicians, etc.

See how that works?

I speak up lots. No swearing and no insults. Just real plain talk about how it is and how it isn't, what the law requires and does not require and how I will not go along to get along with an anti-gun attitude and don't have to ever buy anything in Store X again if I don't want to and how I can - and will - make a point about talking to others I know, etc. etc.

Even when there seems to have been no effect, I feel better. Much better, actually.

ps: Sometimes it just is a dud salesman and the manager is glad to know about his peculiar behaviour and/or phobia.

Last edited by Rocky7; 09-20-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Since when does Walmart sell BP or round ball Grinr? Lol.
Like I said in my OP,not like they sell any real ML stuff anyway(maybe in USA?),but I thought possibly they carry a bit of crap for those scoped,plastic,Pyrodex burning,shotshell primer ignited monstrosities that fire plastic wrapped,copper jacketed bullets into 2" groups @ 250 yards that some folks like to call "primitive weapons" so they can take advantage of additional seasons?
Ya know...very much like how crossbow advocates like to push their way into archery seasons.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM

Your 100% on the money with that statement Rocky7. Crying about this sort of thing on the forum is just passing on info. Bass pro does actually employ many good people. But had too many bad encounters there and was actually embarrassed by the salesman. He made me look like I was a irresponsible parent. I gave that place lots off my hard earned money but now I choose to go somewhere that shows their customer a little respect. P.S I remembered how to use spell check on this thing.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
Was it a shiatsu massage? Did it have a happy ending? Maybe that has something to with why he didn't call you back.
lmfao
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Like I said in my OP,not like they sell any real ML stuff anyway(maybe in USA?),but I thought possibly they carry a bit of crap for those scoped,plastic,Pyrodex burning,shotshell primer ignited monstrosities that fire plastic wrapped,copper jacketed bullets into 2" groups @ 250 yards that some folks like to call "primitive weapons" so they can take advantage of additional seasons?
Ya know...very much like how crossbow advocates like to push their way into archery seasons.
Don't sugar coat it. Tell us what you really feel.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

I wonder how much ammuntion is stolen internally from Walmart.

The same goes for Cabalas and WSS.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Went to WSS tonight and bought some reloading supplies. The service was excellent. The gun staff are very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. Drove past Bass pro twice today and I will be keeping my word.