Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-02-2016, 03:56 PM

Default Buddy heater questions

Looking for some advice for which size of buddy heater I should buy for a 949i. Looking at the hunter buddy. Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 PM

i have the same hut and run the big buddy
Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Do you usually have it running on high or is it dialed back a bit?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:15 PM

What type of fisherman are you?

If portability and moving often is your pri then I would stick with the single tank version

If you are a sit and stay (get comfy type) then I would go with the big buddy and 20lb tank and connector.

I'll add, with my buddies set-up he ran in insulated Clam tent with a big buddy and man did the floor get slippery and wet.

My ghetto set-up had a non-insulated 2 man tent and the regular Mr Buddy kept the chill off but we weren't stripping down any time fast!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:20 PM

I've got the same tent and find that using the Mr. Buddy Heater (one tank, no fan) was plenty warm and convenient. The Big Buddy I save for trips with the 9416, but just switched over to the flower-style, tank-top heater instead.

I've also tried using the really small, one tank, portable option in the 949i but it barely took the edge off in -15C.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Ok that helps out. I am usually a plunk and sit kinda fisherman and often fish all night for burbs. I like the size of the hunter vs the big so I think I will go with that if everyone is satisfied with the regular. Having a few extra btus is definitely worth it in bad wind.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:27 PM

Even in my non insulated 6 man a single sunflower on low keeps it warm enough except for the cold days and that is 9000 btu, hunting buddy goes to 12000 so in a smaller insulated tent should be plenty.

I would buy a hose and run it off a bottle, those 1 lb bottles are stupid expensive and wasteful unless you fill them yourself.

Edit: Having extra btus is always nice, that is why I have a 2 burner sunflower. Almost always gets left as 1 burner on low but there have been times when I have needed the extra warmth(most sane people probably don't go fishing in -30 with -40 windchills though...).
Old 12-02-2016, 04:41 PM

I picked up one of those adapters to fill 1LB propane bottles off of a 20LB bottle, its called a schnozzle, very easy to use and and pays for itself, also cuts down on the weight of a 5 or 20LB bottle if your looking to me more mobile.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:55 PM

Yeah I plan on getting one of those adapters since I just bought a little buddy for my smaller tent.

Using a hunting buddy on low should last ~4 hrs but on high will only last ~2 hrs. That means carrying a ton of little bottles around especially if you do overnight/weekend trips.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:27 PM

I already have an 11# bottle and adapter. I hate the wastefulness of the singles
Old 12-02-2016, 05:30 PM

I currently use a sunflower but am switching because of intense headaches with those suckers. I can have both doors fully open and all the windows and still get it. Not to mention the burning of everything that goes near it
Old 12-02-2016, 06:35 PM

I have the same 949I tent and I have the Portable Buddy model. It seems to be about the right size to heat this tent, once it's warm, the heat can be turned back to low and it keeps it warm inside. Lots of variable of course, depending on where / how you like to fish. There is some good advise given previously.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:15 PM

That's great advice. Thank you
Old 12-03-2016, 04:50 AM

Go big. you can always turn it down or off but can't make the small one produce more btu's. I built a grate for mine and can cook on it too. I wrap garlic sausage and premade bacon and scrambled egg sandwiches in foil, 1/2 hr and I have hot sausage and egg sandwiches. Carry it in a milk crate, crate is used as a stand and keeps it off the ice.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:40 AM

In my 949i I run the buddy heater (middle sized one)

I keep it on high because I like a really warm tent, but it gets hot enough to wear just a t-shirt when it's warmer outside. In -20 it will keep it above freezing no problem
Old 12-03-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
Do you usually have it running on high or is it dialed back a bit?
usually dialed back unless its a cold day with strong winds
Old 12-03-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR_RAT View Post
I picked up one of those adapters to fill 1LB propane bottles off of a 20LB bottle, its called a schnozzle, very easy to use and and pays for itself, also cuts down on the weight of a 5 or 20LB bottle if your looking to me more mobile.
Ah man!! Where did you get this attachment? I've been wondering about where or how I can refill my empty 1lbers.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 AM

Also, I just purchased an Eskimo quickfish 3 man insulated hub shelter and upgraded to a hunting buddy heater and was wondering if anyone who has a similar set up and could help me out. I previously had a 3 man non-insulated hub shelter and a sunflower heater but found the exhaust to be a little much. I'm wondering if the hunting buddy heater is too much heat on low for this insulated shelter and if I should return it for the next size down? Smaller is better as long as it puts out enough heat.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:55 AM

And yet Home Depot sells in packs of four. I am a plumbing and gas inspector and the info on above post is all correct. I do believe the adapter mentioned however was actually to convert to a large bottle which is legal.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfishman View Post
Also, I just purchased an Eskimo quickfish 3 man insulated hub shelter and upgraded to a hunting buddy heater and was wondering if anyone who has a similar set up and could help me out. I previously had a 3 man non-insulated hub shelter and a sunflower heater but found the exhaust to be a little much. I'm wondering if the hunting buddy heater is too much heat on low for this insulated shelter and if I should return it for the next size down? Smaller is better as long as it puts out enough heat.
The hunting buddy will work just fine, it is better to have more heat than not enough.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-03-2016, 10:56 AM

I got a rapala Cruzer and run a regular one off a 5lb tank. Works mint

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2016, 12:10 AM

Go with the big buddy. Can always turn it down to low or medium which runs only one burner. I have the 9416i and the big buddy. There's lots of times I have on high. Also nicer on windy days or over nighters
Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Unrelated, but useful to know, storage of more than 3 1lb cylinders in your house or garage is also illegal and will invalidate you house insurance. Which is why they mainly sell them in 3's max.
Thanks for the info, Jet. Do you have any links for this specific detail?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:10 AM

This is directly out of my b.149 2-15 code book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0598.jpg (59.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
This is directly out of my b.149 2-15 code book.
Thanks!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:13 PM

I never realised it was illegal here, I just bought my little buddy so was just thinking about it since I know lots of guys do it...

Kind of a stupid law imo since it can be done safely if you do it right but I guess it is what it is.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Princess auto has the buddy group of heaters on sale, until Dec 11 2016.

I run the big buddy, the fan is nice, with a 6 man tent.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/b/wor...iant/N-1pddort
Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Go big. you can always turn it down or off but can't make the small one produce more btu's. I built a grate for mine and can cook on it too. I wrap garlic sausage and premade bacon and scrambled egg sandwiches in foil, 1/2 hr and I have hot sausage and egg sandwiches. Carry it in a milk crate, crate is used as a stand and keeps it off the ice.
All of the above is the best advice you will ever receive regarding a Buddy heater.

I run a Big Buddy with a hose & 20lb tank inside a 9416 Fat Fish most of the time. We are able to fish in -40, we just choose not to. Better to have the extra BTU's and not need them, then need them and not have them. I also have a grill attachment that a buddy made for me. We heat up sandwiches, leftover pizza, etc wrapped in tinfoil on the grill, while heating the tent. Buddy heaters are also nearly silent, which is a huge plus over a sunflower tank top style heater.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:57 PM

I use my heater with an adapter hose and a BBQ tank. It's a lot cheaper than buying the 1 lb tanks. I also don't have to get up at the middle of the night to change an empty disposable tank when it's cold outside.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Make sure to use an inline propane filter when using re filled 1lb canister or the hose adapter from a larger cylinder.
Will save you a lot of grief with plugged valves/ lines and apertures.

Also I find condensation build up from burning propane is way less with the buddy heaters than with sunflower type.
Currently I run a Big Buddy in a Flip-mo 3 man and a Hunter in the flip-mo 2 man as well as our blinds work great