Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 10:01 AM

Default Wedge Pond Info?

We're headed to Mount Kidd on July 12 for a week of camping. I'm thinking of bringing my float tube and giving Wedge Pond a try. Any recent info would be appreciated. Cheers!
Old 07-07-2020, 07:28 PM

If I remember correctly it hasn't been stocked with grayling since 2012 or 2013. I looked up the old stocking reports a while ago just because I was curious about it myself and hadn't been there in years. My guess is that most of those fish will be gone by now so chances of success are likely low. That being said back in 2014 and 2015 I caught some on size 20 prince nymphs under an indicator with a 3wt fly rod.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:52 PM

I thought I read somewhere recently that the government was going to stock this pond with rainbows this year since grayling aren't available, but I don't see any info on the most recent stocking report. It's possible that there aren't any fish in it right now, because I think it may have winter killed a couple of years ago. It's easily accessible though, so you never know unless you try.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I thought I read somewhere recently that the government was going to stock this pond with rainbows this year since grayling aren't available, but I don't see any info on the most recent stocking report. It's possible that there aren't any fish in it right now, because I think it may have winter killed a couple of years ago. It's easily accessible though, so you never know unless you try.
I'm pretty sure only Bear Pond and Big Iron Pond is getting rainbows because they were the only ones on the stocking plan.

( They have stocked both ponds with 750 rainbows btw)
Old 07-09-2020, 01:43 PM

There are no fish left in Wedge. I used to fish is quite a bit when it was stocked after the floods. Tons of fun catching the little grayling in the clear water.

Mt Lorette pond is close and you won't need your tube. It is good for about a week after it gets stocked. After that it is cleaned out.

Sibbald Meadows Pond and Lake are also close-by and they can also be fun if they aren't fished out already.

You can also head down the road and hit Rawson or Elbow Lake if you are into a bit of a hike. Elbow has lots of little brookies and Rawson has some decent cuts.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:35 PM

Thanks very much for the replies!
Old 07-11-2020, 08:06 AM

Not sure if this is true or not, but I heard Mt Lorette Pond had fish escape due to a broken dam.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 PM

FYI - I don't think Rawson opens until the 16th