Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 05:31 PM

Default Just how bad is the Glenmore Reservoir?

Despite catching the odd fish here and there, I find the Glenmore Reservoir in Calgary to be atrocious for fishing. The water is constantly murky, there's another angler every 50 ft, there's families and people everywhere making noise and throwing rocks in the water, and most times you end up getting skunked. The regs imply there's a few different species in there...perch, whitefish, trout, pike, but I haven't seen anyone pull anything except hammer handle pike and the rare brown trout. I've even tried upstream in weaselhead flats to no avail. I've heard it used to be better prior to the 2013 floods. I'm probably just going to stick to the Bow going forward. I guess if you want good fishing, you've gotta put in the effort and go out of town
Old 07-04-2020, 05:44 PM

I fished it pre flood and back then people complained about it .

The funny part is myself and my buddies actually caught lots of respectable pike 5-15lbs and the odd 5lbs+ brown and rainbows. This was consistently and can’t remember getting skunked. Actually met guys who did great for perch and burbot but I never figured them out

One thing I have learned over the years every time I hear about how a body or water is tough or no good you will also find the odd fishermen that has the place dialed in.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:47 PM

You've got to expect it to be busy. Smack dab in a million plus people.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:46 PM

Glenmore can be hit or miss, but there is some good fishing to be had there. Water clarity varies a lot throughout the year. The key to Glenmore is to find the hot spots. It is also a lot easier if you can fish from a small boat. We filmed a short video from there last year and caught four or five pike in about 2 hours. The water was very clear - just need to sit along the edge of the weedbeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FALBduQRAo&t=4s
Old 07-06-2020, 11:47 AM

Back when I was single and had more time to fish I would usually fish on the east side of the causeway. You used to be able to cross underneath. I did pretty good for pike and even caught a few beauty rainbows. Seen some very large burbot carcasses so they're in there! Good luck. Maybe rent a canoe from the club and check out some good weed beds.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:43 PM

Get yourself a two man rubber raft and float around. Don't even have to go to far from the club. You will be away from the shore mongers. If you get a canoe it would be easier to troll. There are also some easy 5lb suckers in there.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Get yourself a two man rubber raft and float around. Don't even have to go to far from the club. You will be away from the shore mongers. If you get a canoe it would be easier to troll. There are also some easy 5lb suckers in there.
Unless the laws have changed no inflatables allowed in Glenmore. This was years ago so may have changed
Old 07-06-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Unless the laws have changed no inflatables allowed in Glenmore. This was years ago so may have changed
Still not aloud. Inflatables According to city of Calgary website.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:56 AM

I often get skunked but occasionally get a small pike. Also, saw a guy with a small tin boat a few days ago. I tried to tell him it was not allowed but he didnt care. I said "why do you think there are no other boats out here besides you?" If it was allowed it would be a zoo. At least he didnt have a motor.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
I often get skunked but occasionally get a small pike. Also, saw a guy with a small tin boat a few days ago. I tried to tell him it was not allowed but he didnt care. I said "why do you think there are no other boats out here besides you?" If it was allowed it would be a zoo. At least he didnt have a motor.
In the past it was a ban on inflatables only tin boat, fiberglass, wood or any solid craft would be fine. I vaguely remember motor restrictions as well but can’t remember what

Again it has been years since I have fished there so things may have changed. Maybe someone up to date on this can chime in or post a link
Old 07-07-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
Yeah....he was allowed to be there. Not inflatable, no motor, totally ok.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:14 PM

From Bylaw 9018

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-07-07_15-10-19.jpg (17.9 KB, 414 views)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
From Bylaw 9018

OK didn't know about the inflatable. Guess a pike would bite it and deflate it. Always thought of a dinghy as an inflatable but I stand corrected. There are different types.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
OK didn't know about the inflatable. Guess a pike would bite it and deflate it. Always thought of a dinghy as an inflatable but I stand corrected. There are different types.
Years ago I was told it was to cut back on litter. Yes I know a bit of a stretch but that was the reason I was given
Old 07-07-2020, 04:19 PM

Slow for pike this year. The burbot have been a hoot!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZEsx5Uy
Old 07-07-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
Slow for pike this year. The burbot have been a hoot!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZEsx5Uy
Nice catch man!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Thanks pal. Just choose the right bait/lure and areas is all you need to know

Last edited by crosman177; 07-08-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:18 PM

I have fished the reservoir a lot over the years, and for me the fishing has gone downhill. I rarely fish there anymore. I have noticed a huge increase in fishing pressure every year all over the reservoir. I am just glad to have had the good days in the past.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
Thanks pal. Just choose the right bait/lure and areas is all you need to know
Awesome work getting it that dialled in! I've caught pike, whitefish, rainbows, browns and even one bull trout but the burbot and perch have proved elusive. I want that inner-city grand-slam!
Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 PM

Try it at nighttime
Old 07-10-2020, 10:43 AM

They’re there. Caught at least 12. Kept one. Tasted great!

Go at night. Target deep water. Tight lines and sharp hooks. Use a rod holder and bell set up. Be patient.

I think I’m going to try out jigging from a canoe this weekend. Should be exciting.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:03 AM

Interested to hear how it went if you did go out. I was thinking about taking the kayak out this week.