Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 11:23 AM

Default I reported a poacher and I have mixed feelings.

As I was fishing Wabamun Shore from a distance I could see people catching fish instead of putting the fish back in the water I could see them running to the cooler. So I called it in and the officer was about 45 minutes away. I collected licence plate details and a description of the family. I supposed it was very difficult for me since the family seemed very nice and the kids would walk past me to say Hi.

I don't think they were intentionally hiding fish since they left the cooler right next to the walking path. So clearly they didn't read the regulations.What started out as smiles and happiness became glum faces on Canada Day. I did not confront the family when I could have, but I didn't feel like it was my job to. When I called it in they had at least 4 walleye.

When the officer arrived he confiscated the cooler and collected a total of 6 Walleyes. He took photos of the fish and documented everything on the back of the tailgate.

Question is should I have confronted the family so they wouldn't have caught and retained more? They could have caught 5 or 6 more by the time the officer came.

I have this on Camera from my chest cam. They also know it was me since I was the only other fisherman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c441ab85-d7de-46e1-8994-6ff7e3d757c3.jpg (55.8 KB, 718 views)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 AM

You did the right thing. Don't feel guilt. Props to you man!
Old 07-02-2020, 11:47 AM

Definitely did the right thing. It takes a few minutes to read the regs for any body of water.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:48 AM

Agreed, we all have the same regulations- just follow them.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

you did the right thing...lessens learnt for the family. even if you did nicely approach the family things could have gotten out of hand...not worth the headache etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-02-2020, 11:59 AM

Don’t forget your reward $$$.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:01 PM

You did the right thing. I understand why you are feeling the way you are. I probably would too. But good job anyways.

There is lots of things that can be said about walleye and Wab limits but that would go nowhere on this thread.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:17 PM

The only ones that will jump on you for what you did could very well be poachers themselves. Good job you No need to feel bad at all. They need to know the rules
Old 07-02-2020, 12:25 PM

Ignorance is no excuse for not complying with the law. Every fisherman, trapper or hunter has a personal obligation to read, understand and comply with the law and take personal responsibility - as these laws are designed to protect the resource.

So in that regard, they were either ignorant to the law, or decided to break the law and they got what they deserved.

It's also not your job to mitigate or police people who break the law.

On the other hand, yeah, I get it, you felt bad and feel like maybe you could have intervened or changed that - but, at the end of the day, you did the right thing. Don't beat yourself up about it.

I know it's Wabamun where a few walleye taken out of there won't hurt anything, but that's irrelevant, maybe the next time this family goes out somewhere different and does the same thing the lake (and the impact) could be far different - as I'm sure the location plays a little bit into your feelings.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:31 PM

I have decided to stop trying to educate and start reporting. You did the right thing. Recently I saw someone using minnows at a stocked pond and informed them it was not allowed. The said they didn't know and thought it was a confussion over difference between bait, bait fish, spinners being minnows. Nope they had no clue about any if the regs and now doubt they had licenses.

They proceeded to cook up there catch and then move away from me and catch some more. Leaving a mess behind. Next I call it in if there is cell coverage
Old 07-02-2020, 12:45 PM

their responsibility to know the regulations, yours to call it in. I hope you can buy a couple new rods for your niece and nephew with the reward money. Thank you for sticking up for our fishery

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-02-2020, 12:55 PM

I understand how you feel. You did the right thing; the officer can show discretion if it's warranted.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I understand how you feel. You did the right thing; the officer can show discretion if it's warranted.
X2, good job!
Old 07-02-2020, 01:10 PM

I know it was no license weekend so they already got a heck of deal on free fishing, being too lazy to even read the regs is both stupid and rude.You warning and helping them will have nowhere near the educational aspect of fines and the embarrassment of being written up. The kids will for sure remember this lesson and perhaps learn to be much better outdoor people because of it.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:37 PM

I didn't even know I may get a reward. He told me to call a specific number with a reference number he gave me after 30 days.

He also said I would only get a reward if my RAP call and case was eligible.

This was very unexpected.

Respect wildlife
Old 07-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Don't feel bad for their poaching. A lot would not call it in, good job. Imagine if you didn't, how many more fish they would take over the summer? That is assuming they learn from this.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:47 PM

i call in people all the time, i used to talk to them and try to let them know what the regs were. many times I've been told to F-off, or they'll throw me in. I've decided it's not worth my time or security.
I think many of those that claim ignorance of the rules know exactly what the rules are but they have their lie ready to go.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Don't feel bad for their poaching. A lot would not call it in, good job. Imagine if you didn't, how many more fish they would take over the summer? That is assuming they learn from this.
This makes me wonder how many times they have been to this lake to take fish home already. Does this give an officer enough warrant to check home freezers?

Respect wildlife
Old 07-02-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I know it was no license weekend so they already got a heck of deal on free fishing, being too lazy to even read the regs is both stupid and rude.You warning and helping them will have nowhere near the educational aspect of fines and the embarrassment of being written up. The kids will for sure remember this lesson and perhaps learn to be much better outdoor people because of it.
Albertans and visitors can celebrate Canada's National Fishing Week with family fishing weekend on Saturday, July 4 and Sunday, July 5, 2020. No licence is required to fish in Alberta anywhere outside of National Parks, but sportfishing regulations still apply.
nope they still get a no license ticket. and deserve one

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-02-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Albertans and visitors can celebrate Canada's National Fishing Week with family fishing weekend on Saturday, July 4 and Sunday, July 5, 2020. No licence is required to fish in Alberta anywhere outside of National Parks, but sportfishing regulations still apply.
nope they still get a no license ticket. and deserve one
Cool, I thought is was free fishing to celebrate Canada Day, apparently it is the weekend after CD, not the one before.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:49 PM

Too many poachers out there and the only way it changes is to report them when you see it
Old 07-02-2020, 03:15 PM

Default I reported a poacher

Good job. You were right to make the call.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:24 PM

Default 100% 👍

You did the right thing as they were in the wrong weather they did know the regulations or didn’t know the regulations. My guess is they probably have gotten away with it before and weren’t worried about getting caught.
Great job reporting it.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
i call in people all the time, i used to talk to them and try to let them know what the regs were. many times I've been told to F-off, or they'll throw me in. I've decided it's not worth my time or security.
I think many of those that claim ignorance of the rules know exactly what the rules are but they have their lie ready to go.
Agree 100%
Old 07-02-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
This makes me wonder how many times they have been to this lake to take fish home already. Does this give an officer enough warrant to check home freezers?
Jayhad has it right, the ones who flaunt the rules, I bet most do it intentionally. Better to ask forgiveness and play dumb.

And I bet they did a freezer check, same day hopefully.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Jayhad has it right, the ones who flaunt the rules, I bet most do it intentionally. Better to ask forgiveness and play dumb.

And I bet they did a freezer check, same day hopefully.
X2...If I was FW, first thing is get a search warrant and check fridge and freezer.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Good job. You were right to make the call.
x10 you did the right thing.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:49 PM

You did the right thing. Even though they were fishing as what seemed to be a nice family who knows how many they would have kept. And how many times have they done this? This way they will definitely be more aware of regulations and what happens when they don’t follow them. We have enough problems with poachers that secretly defy the system. If more people phone F&W instead of informing people they are doing something illegal it would make tougher on poaching. Trouble is there are not enough officers to go around at certain areas.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:28 PM

You absolutely did the right thing. Every PERSON that fishes any body of water MUST Read and fully UNDERSTAND the regulations for that body of water. The Regulations are pretty simple to understand. Like others are saying too if you make a suggestion to them they may turn on You big time. Have a couple Beer Bud and feel comfortable with how you handled it. I am proud of the way You handled it.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:28 PM

the only thing i would suggest to you is if you go back to the same lake or anywhere for that matter just watch your back just in case. one of my buddies friend did something similar at travers and the 3 or 4 guys he reported ran over and beat the snot out of him. it was reported to the police and was on the news but i am not sure what the outcome was in that case.

Tags
poacher