Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM

Default Which scope?

I am trying to decide on a scope for a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Rifle will be used for targets, some hunting applications in the prairies and for Northern cut block Deer hunting however I'm a foothills boy and my lightweights usually get the call most of the time.

I'm looking for something with dials for the first time. I want reliability. Haven't ever been much of a long range guy. 400 yards would be a long shot for me however I practice out to 500 and sometimes more.

I've narrowed my search down to the:
Zeiss V4 4-16 (I like the zero stop)
Nightforce SHV 4-14 (Like the MOAR reticle but I think I would need the Illuminated)
Vortex Viper Gen II 3-15 FFP (Never bought a Vortex in my life thought I never would)
Leupold VX5HD 3-15

Weight is a factor for me

$2K would be my absolute upper end however I'd like to keep it at these scopes price point or under.

Looking for some thoughts.

Last edited by Outcast; 01-30-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:56 AM

A quick search of the scopes in your lineup will narrow it down fairly quick. For 400 yards all the scopes you have mentioned are overkill and lots of $. If you want to dial with reliability go nightforce. If you want to save some cash look at the SWFA lineup. You will have to order from the states but it should still be cheaper and better than some of the scopes you mentioned.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Let me clarify the range. 400 yards for my past hunting situations would be a long shot. I always practiced just in case put rarely had to shoot at long range. Looking for a scope for this gun to stretch out my practice and possibly my hunting situations to well past 400 yards. The gun is extremely accurate with 147 ELDm's.

Thanks
Allen
Old 01-30-2019, 09:02 AM

I agree, for even out to 700 yards those are overkill. Those scopes will get you out to 1000 - 1200 yards. So if you are toying with the idea you really cannot go wrong with any of them. If you are looking for a little better bang for your buck check out Sightron and Athlon.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 AM
Banned

Weight I think would go to Leupold, turret reliability would go to Nightforce, specs would point towards Zeiss which I’m sure would be a reliable scope but it’s still in its early stages.

I’ve heard the Leupolds have had issues with tracking, the Zeiss for the most part have great reviews, but if you want proven reliability I’d go with Nightforce.

I’d suggest that if you’re looking for a true longrange scope with turrets that you’re going to have to make a compromise with regards to weight. If your max range will be around the 600yd mark then a Swarovski Z3 would be about the lightest option but I doubt the turrets will be as accurate as the Zeiss or Nightforce.

That said, I think of the choices you listed I would go with the Zeiss.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 AM

Take a good hard look at the Nikon FX1000. Up to 24 power 50mm objective lens with a 30mm tube for less than $1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2019, 10:02 AM

The Conquest HD-5 3-15x42 with Lockplex would be ideal if you can find one, but if you can't, I would go with the V4.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:04 AM

I’d get the nightforce if I were in your shoes. Me personally I’d get the Leupold VX-5 but a cds scope is a little different then having an actual turret. All your choices are great but I’d avoid vortex. Didn’t have good experiences with my vortex hst I believe it was called.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:18 AM

I've looked through the Nightforce in the store a bunch. Honestly I am only considering them because of reputation and reliability. I like the MOAR reticle however without illumination I think it could be a problem in low light. I find the Zeiss V4 optics better and much easier to find the eyebox. The reticle is also nice and easy to see in all light conditions.

I'm leaning towards the Zeiss at this time but always wonder about products in the early stages.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 AM

Swarovski z3 4-12x50 is in your price range. I just bought one ($1000.00) with externally adjustable turrets that you can preset for different yardages if that’s your thing,

The caveat is I haven’t used it yet but she’s clear and clean and doesn’t weigh much.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I am trying to decide on a scope for a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Rifle will be used for targets, some hunting applications in the prairies and for Northern cut block Deer hunting however I'm a foothills boy and my lightweights usually get the call most of the time.

snip
Looking for some thoughts.
Any of the scopes suggested could be suitable for most of your needs, but all have their strengths, weaknesses and compromises, none is perfect for all.
You mention that you have ‘lightweights’, which I suspect also have ‘lightweight’ optics.
You may not need to buy another scope.

I usually suggest mounting P-rails on all rifles, and ‘tip-off’ rings on all scopes, to enable very quick and easy scope exchange.
I began this practice when I purchased my first really expensive scope, (which ruined me for average quality).
I now have a good range of top quality alpha glass, each mounted with top quality rings.
I try to mount rings of the similar height (1”) as this preserves a common eye line over bore and cheek weld.
I use very good NXS & ATACR scopes (with excellent MOAR) for target and load development, then change to MUCH smaller, lighter (and less expensive, and often fixed magnification) Swaro & Leupold scopes for actual field use. Low power optics usually have a much larger eyebox / exit pupil, without requiring a large, heavy & awkward objective.

An EGW (6061 or 7075) aluminum P-rail is not expensive, and weighs little more than two piece mounts. It is much easier to properly bed, and has MUCH more accurate alignment, (than most any two piece systems) and does not require undesirable lapping to correct.

I suggest you compare the cost of ANOTHER compromise scope,
with the installation of P-rails and tip off rings on some or all of your ‘others’.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 PM

Of the choices listed I’m voting for the VX5.....it’s on the very short list of possibilities for my next scope for near identical application that you describe,and checks all the boxes for me other then reticle options,really wish it was offered in mildot! 😖That said I’ve thought about contacting Leupold Custom Shop and see if I can get it in mildot and might as well get coloured tube if so?
Lowest on my list would be the Vortex...don’t get me wrong,not a Vortex basher,I’ve owned a few no issues,and owned the PST 4-16x50 on a Ruger Precision 6.5CM....just not at all a fan of FFP on a hunting rig,I find the reticle too busy and too fine on lower magnifications where of course the dial is cranked to 99% of the time unless setting up for a longer shot.
Hunting rig with MOAR/MRAD/Mildot reticle I much prefer 2FP....if an animal is far enough away that I want to employ holdoover or crank on elevation turrets,I’m gonna be at full power magnification for which it’s calibrated to anyhow.
All said and done after countless hours and weeks comparing dozens of higher end optics,comparing pros and cons and features and weight and looking through a couple dozen different models I’m leaning hard towards NXS 2.5-10x42 in mildot reticle to fill the bill as a do-all optic,pretty much same as your intended use?
I’m mainly a foothills hunter as well,I want to be able to hunt bush WTs with it,confidence to put a one shot kill on elk/moose out to 700,and fool around smashing rocks in the mountains at 1000 just for fun and skill development.
It’s a bit above your stated budget cap of $2k at around $2600 MSRP (and to be honest a bit more then I was hoping to get away with spending as well but it checks all my boxes so buy once/cry once?)...if you shop around you can find them gently used around the $2k mark,I’ve been doing that myself but always find MOAR or MRAD models for sale,I really want the mildot 1st choice if I go new,I could live with the MRAD for the right price used?

Last edited by West O'5; 01-30-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:51 PM

Also the 1st Gen NXS 2.5-10x32 is really tempting and substantially less $$ on the used market($1200-$1500-ish?) but all that I’ve seen for sale had MOAR reticle,which would be my last choice of the 4,I’m a mils guy vs MOA,I’d rather buy the ih4 reticle then the MOA but that’s just me?
FWIW or to put into perspective(?) .....I’m shopping for ultimate optic for my new Fierce CT Edge in .300WSM
Old 01-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Also the 1st Gen NXS 2.5-10x32 is really tempting and substantially less $$ on the used market($1200-$1500-ish?) but all that I’ve seen for sale had MOAR reticle,which would be my last choice of the 4,I’m a mils guy vs MOA,I’d rather buy the ih4 reticle then the MOA but that’s just me?
FWIW or to put into perspective(?) .....I’m shopping for ultimate optic for my new Fierce CT Edge in .300WSM
Ultimate optic?

For me it’s the Swarovski X5i. I was leaning towards the Nightforce ATACR in the 4-16x42 model but once I compared the two side by side, the eye relief was just so much better on the Swarovski that it was a no brainer. I suppose if there was a chance that I’d be shot at the Nightforce would be my choice but chances of that happening are low..... I hope!

Last edited by Kurt505; 01-30-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomapleleafss View Post
I agree, for even out to 700 yards those are overkill. Those scopes will get you out to 1000 - 1200 yards. So if you are toying with the idea you really cannot go wrong with any of them. If you are looking for a little better bang for your buck check out Sightron and Athlon.
nufff said.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:10 PM

Pulled the trigger on a Zeiss today. Ended up going 6-24X with the ZMOA reticle. I have the magnification if I need it for an extra 2oz.

We'll see how it works in the near future.

Thanks for everyone help even on the decision.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ultimate optic?

For me it’s the Swarovski X5i. I was leaning towards the Nightforce ATACR in the 4-16x42 model but once I compared the two side by side, the eye relief was just so much better on the Swarovski that it was a no brainer. I suppose if there was a chance that I’d be shot at the Nightforce would be my choice but chances of that happening are low..... I hope!
When I say “ultimate optic” I mean the best choice I can find that checks all of the boxes for me,not necessarily the “Ultimate super duper Uber Best of the Best” optic in the world....or even The Best for your applications?
For me that means:
-relatively lower powered variable for everything from bush WTs to extended range elk to 1000m practice smashing rocks on a mountainside
-relatively low profile exposed turrets,positive clicks,repeatability,zero stop,mil/mil reticle/clicks
-30mm tube
-reticle options,either MRAD or mildot with preference to the latter in a hunting scope
-decent to very good glass
-adjustable parallax
-bullet proof construction
-....and I want all this in a relatively liteweight package.Its going on a premium liteweight rifle wherein much of the extra cost is due to the materials and tech.....it seems counterproductive to me to mount a 30oz scope on a rifle that was purposely designed to be sub 6lbs naked.

So.....”Ultimate Optic”??
I’ve spent countless hours online shopping looking over untold dozens of scopes and spec sheets/comparing features/pros n cons etc....and looked through a dozen or more in person that made the short list....and I keep coming back to the NXS 2.5-10x42
Coming in @20.5oz it’s not a featherweight,but it’s billed as a compact and far lighter then anything else comparable in its class,and I haven’t seen anything lighter from any MFR that is as feature packed with everything I want in a scope.
YMMV?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
When I say “ultimate optic” I mean the best choice I can find that checks all of the boxes for me,not necessarily the “Ultimate super duper Uber Best of the Best” optic in the world....or even The Best for your applications?
For me that means:
-relatively lower powered variable for everything from bush WTs to extended range elk to 1000m practice smashing rocks on a mountainside
-relatively low profile exposed turrets,positive clicks,repeatability,zero stop,mil/mil reticle/clicks
-30mm tube
-reticle options,either MRAD or mildot with preference to the latter in a hunting scope
-decent to very good glass
-adjustable parallax
-bullet proof construction
-....and I want all this in a relatively liteweight package.Its going on a premium liteweight rifle wherein much of the extra cost is due to the materials and tech.....it seems counterproductive to me to mount a 30oz scope on a rifle that was purposely designed to be sub 6lbs naked.

So.....”Ultimate Optic”??
I’ve spent countless hours online shopping looking over untold dozens of scopes and spec sheets/comparing features/pros n cons etc....and looked through a dozen or more in person that made the short list....and I keep coming back to the NXS 2.5-10x42
Coming in @20.5oz it’s not a featherweight,but it’s billed as a compact and far lighter then anything else comparable in its class,and I haven’t seen anything lighter from any MFR that is as feature packed with everything I want in a scope.
YMMV?

I get it, if you go back and read my post you’ll see it says “For me it’s.....” because on the rifle I chose it for it has features that can’t be found in a lightweight scope unless your ready to spend around $5k.

For a dedicated lightweight rifle I would never consider a scope that weighs 20oz, they’re about 1/2lb heavier than what I would use.

The ultimate riflescope is only ultimate for certain people in certain situations.

Have you looked through an NXS that was mounted on a rifle side by side with other optics? I looked at an ATACR side by side with other scopes and found the eyebox hard to pick up on with my hold, again this will most likely vary from person to person but it’s important especially for a rifle you intend to use in the woods on whitetail.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:17 AM

No,I haven’t looked thru one mounted but did a few SxS comparisons,eye relief seems fine to me?
For me it’s not a “dedicated liteweight/mountain rifle” but it will be a comparatively nice lite package do-all rifle that should be a pleasure to carry in the WT bush all day and come in a bit over 7.5lbs all in with the NXS, rings and bases?
While sheep is on my bucket list,I don’t normally climb mountains,so I’m willing to put up with a few extra ounces to get the features I want and will use regularly vs shedding a few ounces in anticipation of a mountain hunt that I never seem to get around to doing anyhow.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Have you looked through an NXS that was mounted on a rifle side by side with other optics? I looked at an ATACR side by side with other scopes and found the eyebox hard to pick up on with my hold, again this will most likely vary from person to person but it’s important especially for a rifle you intend to use in the woods on whitetail.
And this ......... my friends .......... is the best way to pick a scope if you are comparing a few different premium brands with comparable features .....

Sometimes you will find a particular scope much better for the way you set up on a particular rifle.

And the scope needs to come into a clear picture when you only have a few seconds to react and searching for a clean sight picture or moving your head can be the difference between eating steak or eating track soup.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 AM

Default have a serious look at the Bushnell Elite Tactical Hunter

the LRHS is one of the most under rated hunter/long range hunting scope on the market...30 mm tube 1st focal plane HD glass, zero stop turret..solid dialing turrets....and glass is as good or better than the NXS... have a look if you can and do some comparisons...elevation and windage range is up there with the best...the two scope are 3x12x44 and 4.5x18 x44 they both are available in illuminated reticles....they might fit yours needs, both scope are under the 2000.00 mark
Old 02-03-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
And this ......... my friends .......... is the best way to pick a scope if you are comparing a few different premium brands with comparable features .....

Sometimes you will find a particular scope much better for the way you set up on a particular rifle.

And the scope needs to come into a clear picture when you only have a few seconds to react and searching for a clean sight picture or moving your head can be the difference between eating steak or eating track soup.

I agree completely. I have never bought a good scope (cheapo's....whatever) that I didn't first loose mount on thr rifle I was buying for, the right retailers will let you send one back for refund if it doesn't measure up.

It's relatively easier for mnufactures to turn out a scope with good specs as compared to really good optical design around eyebox and eye relief.

It's far more important than features, or even brightness/clarity/contrast etc. in a hunting scope. Target scope always shot in a relatively controlled environment, consistent shooting positions, maybe not as much?
Old 02-03-2019, 08:13 PM

I'd take the Zeiss. Best glass in the business, huge eyebox, ruggedness, great turrets and not overly big or heavy.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstefoniuk View Post
the LRHS is one of the most under rated hunter/long range hunting scope on the market...30 mm tube 1st focal plane HD glass, zero stop turret..solid dialing turrets....and glass is as good or better than the NXS... have a look if you can and do some comparisons...elevation and windage range is up there with the best...the two scope are 3x12x44 and 4.5x18 x44 they both are available in illuminated reticles....they might fit yours needs, both scope are under the 2000.00 mark
2FP is a must for me,I forgot to list that in my want list,not at all interested in a FFP scope for hunting.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:52 PM

I have the same rifle except in left hand. I put a nightforce nxs on it with a moar-t recticle model 509. Ive had lots of scopes on it but the nightforce with that reticle in second focal plane is by far my favorite. I like the way nightforce does its illumination you dont have that stupid dial on your paralax. Not sure about shv model but nxs model with that reticle is awesome for just about anything.